Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens

Hi there just curious if anyone ordered/have this light already? Care to share you're experience

Thanks
    Bong

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpgDinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpgDinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpgDinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpgDinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks - nice light. How does the brightness compare to XML-3 when you compare them side-by-side?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    2012 model 1200L xml-3Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpg
    2014 model 1600+ xml-3Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpg
    2014 model 2100+ xml-4Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-image.jpg

iphone pics, cone is 75feet

mtbr member
    Interesting. Due to the quality of the beam photos I'm sure the lights are actually brighter in person. What kind of UI is this new DiNotte lamp using?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Since I have an XML-3 original version, I know how bright it is so that new one must be real bright in real life based on the photo.

However, it's larger and I personally like the smaller light. Seriously, the dual XML-3 set up is bright enough on medium for any riding. Guess everyone's eyes are different tho.

Wonder when they'll come out w/ the 8 up. Haha.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Since I have an XML-3 original version, I know how bright it is so that new one must be real bright in real life based on the photo.

However, it's larger and I personally like the smaller light. Seriously, the dual XML-3 set up is bright enough on medium for any riding. Guess everyone's eyes are different tho.

Yeah,

Wonder when they'll come out w/ the 8 up. Haha.

MB
    It is a bit large. I didn't look it up yet but but compared to the XML3's is is big. Makes me wonder if that strap system they are using is going to keep it in place.

First thing I noticed was how much it looked like the Solarstorm XT40. The DiNotte though is using optics which in a quad configuration should give it a nice even spread of light.

I asked about the UI because I want to know if it includes a "stepless" option on the mode menu. Would also be nice to know it there are any "optic" options. With two flood and two spot you would get a really nice beam pattern . I wonder what the standard set-up is using. (?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thanks for the beamshots - impressive. I have (older) lights from Dinotte and think that they have the best blink pattern - I hope they kept it also for the XML-4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry for the late reply, for the UI there's no stepless option just low mid high and flash.
    I tried it last night and the strap held up good on the rocky sections on my trail . I will email Rob regarding the optic options .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbong View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, for the UI there's no stepless option just low mid high and flash.
    I tried it last night and the strap held up good on the rocky sections on my trail . I will email Rob regarding the optic options .
    Good to hear that the strap system is holding it in place.

I am somewhat surprised that DiNotte has not applied the "Stepless" option into their user interface. While I'm sure the DiNotte quad is a fine light and will work fine as is, having a "Stepless" option would of made it more versatile and would have made a great selling point.

The reason I say this is because when it comes to lamps that have the capability of outputting over 1500 lumen, it becomes more important to the user if you have the option to "adjust" the output of any given mode.

Case in point: I don't know what the output levels are for the D-quad but lets say they are 2100-1500-600 (H-M-L ). For someone doing a race it might be better if you can set that back to > 2100-800-400 or 1800-800-200...if you have longer extended climbing. Having the option to adjust the output of each mode gives the user the option of customizing the lamp to suit the "need of the moment". For passive trails or long epic rides you tweak it back for extended run times. For freaky terrain and monster downhills you tweak it up and set medium a little higher so you always know whats coming up. With "Stepless" you have all kinds of options. The more raw output you have the more useful it can be.

Just my opinion here but if the DiNotte quad is truly outputting 2100 lumen they might have considered including another (4th) steady mode. Without a "stepless" UI, a four mode UI would of been the next best thing. Usually I prefer 3 steady modes but with higher outputs that tends to change things.

Anyway, enough opinionated editorializing on my part for now. I want to hear more about how the lamp is working in the field.

mtbr member
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bike fan of Dinotte lights. I have the dual-quad 1200+ as the bar and a XML-3 as the helmet. I could see replacing the dual quad with a quad. Here are the specs from their page:

Tech-Specs for DiNotte XML-4 Headlight

Model: XML-4

Brightness: 2100 Lumens

Run Time (Steady): 1.5 Hours at 100% Power
    3 Hours at 50% Power
    6 Hours at 25% Power

Run Time (Strobe): 5 Hours Emergency Strobe
    7.5 Hours Steady with Pulse Burst
    10 Hours On-Off

Modes-Steady: 100% Power
    50% Power
    25% Power

Modes-Flash: On-Off,
    Steady with Pulse Burst,
    Emergency Strobe

Charge Time: 4hrs (4-Cell Battery)

Compatible Batteries: 4-Cell battery only

LEDs 4 of the newest CREE-XML2

Body Material: Anodized Aluminum

Mount Type: EPDM Rubber (UV Resistent) Strap Mount

Waterproof: Yes (IP67)

Best/Recomended Uses Headlight,
    Helmet Light

What's in the box XML-4 Light Engine
    Endurance Series Battery Pack (4-Cell)
    World-Wide Smart Charger, Battery Strap
    Extension Cable (1 Meter)
    Helmet Mount
    Handlebar Mount
    Battery Strap (Hook and Loop)

Works Great with: XML-3 or XML-4 on the helmet with XML-4 on the bike

Height off the bar 52mm (2.05in)

Width 55mm (2.16in

Length/Depth 60mm (2.4in)

Cord Length 250mm (10in)

Light+Battery Cord Length 400mm (16in)

Weight 218g (7.6oz)

Extension Cord Length: 1 Meter (39in)

PDF Manual: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Li-Ion Battery Care PDF: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...OGY4Yi00MmY4LW

mtbr member
    I am finally replacing my 10 year old Niterider HID Storm, I can't believe it last this many seasons. I'm a Dinotte fan, I use an XML-1 and 400R for commuting. I'm thinking of going with Dinotte XML 3 or 4 for MTB night rides, and I'm also considering Lupine. The Lupine is stupid expensive, but if I get 10 years out of it like my NR then I'm OK with $100/year. I like the feedback I've read so far on the XML-3 (bar and helmet), I'm wondering if the benefit of the XML-4 is worth it, more light, less run time. My plan is to carry one of my spare 2Cell batteries for a backup on longer rides. Has anyone gone with Lupine over Dinotte?
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Which lupine lights are you considering? Unless your getting a betty in your set up I probably wouldn't go with lupine because the gloworm xs and the D4 are close to the Wilma in the output class for half the cost. A riding buddy has a Betty and it's top notch quality. All I own is a d400 daytime for my road bike and it's a solid light. If your coming from a 10 year old NR. I'm sure the D or Lupine are going to blow your socks of. I consider d a high grade light but the settings need a little work. Either way you can't go wrong. It really comes down to money. If it not an issue why not go with lupine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    Which lupine lights are you considering? Unless your getting a betty in your set up I probably wouldn't go with lupine because the gloworm xs and the D4 are close to the Wilma in the output class for half the cost. A riding buddy has a Betty and it's top notch quality. All I own is a d400 daytime for my road bike and it's a solid light. If your coming from a 10 year old NR. I'm sure the D or Lupine are going to blow your socks of. I consider d a high grade light but the settings need a little work. Either way you can't go wrong. It really comes down to money. If it not an issue why not go with lupine.
    Thanks for the reply. I was going to get the Wilma if I got Lupine. I saw that Dinotte has an MTB package which includes 2 x XML-4 or an XML-3 and 4. I think the latter is a better option, with the 4 on the bars and the 3 on the helmet. I like the XML-1 on my road bike it's great even for 5 AM starts in the winter. I think I'll stick with Dinotte, but as a final exercise I'll look at GloWorm as well since they're an NZ brand. Dollar for dollar though I think I like Dinotte better.

mtbr member
    I just saw the MtB package. The dual D4 package looks sweet for under 500$

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    I am finally replacing my 10 year old Niterider HID Storm, I can't believe it last this many seasons. I'm a Dinotte fan, I use an XML-1 and 400R for commuting. I'm thinking of going with Dinotte XML 3 or 4 for MTB night rides, and I'm also considering Lupine. The Lupine is stupid expensive, but if I get 10 years out of it like my NR then I'm OK with $100/year. I like the feedback I've read so far on the XML-3 (bar and helmet), I'm wondering if the benefit of the XML-4 is worth it, more light, less run time. My plan is to carry one of my spare 2Cell batteries for a backup on longer rides. Has anyone gone with Lupine over Dinotte?
    I have gone with the Lupine's, that been said my choice wasn't between Lupine/Dinotte. I went with the Lupine because I was fortunate enough to have the budget and had been upgrading lights every year and selling off my old sets to riders that were also becoming interested in night riding. For me I think the Lupines are the best lighting systems out there. Are they the best value,,, hell no!! Now a days competition has closed the gap considerably and for a lot less money. Dinotte is one brand that I think is overlooked too much. Over the years they have received very good reviews and if I'm remembering correctly in 2012 was voted best value by Francois's review.

Rearviewmirro I think the most important question is,, how long are your night rides?? If you rarely ride more than two hours then I think the Dinotte xml3/xml4 would be a great choice. The only problem I have with Dinotte is their unwillingness to go to a larger capacity battery. For me that is a deal breaker as I like high lumens as my night vision sucks, and only ninety minutes of run time on a brand new battery in perfect conditions for the xml-4 just isn't close as I like to know I can go out for three hours if I want without any worry that I'm going to run out of battery. In my view, why pay for all those lumens if you have to use the low setting for most of your ride to get longer run time, that's why I love the Lupines as they have so many battery choices. If your night rides are longer and you don't mind carrying extra battery's I'd still go with Dinotte as their quality is very good and you cant beat their value.

Just to make things more difficult,,, the Wilma is much smaller than the xml-4 and a fair bit brighter with lots of programing options including built in battery gauge on both the Smart Core battery and the lamp head, as well as a voltage gauge using the same leds on the lamp head. And lots of battery options. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    @rearview....If you're going to go DiNotte I would go with the XM-L3 / XM-L 4 package. Then again I've not seen the beam pattern of the DiNotte quad so I'm not saying that is the best choice. Still the DiNotte lamps are well built and should last a lifetime. While I have been known to rag on DiNotte ( on occasion ) for being slow to upgrade, they stand behind their products very well. I'm glad to see them come out with newer offerings.

Personally I own one of the new Gloworm X2's and hands down it beats out every other lamp I own. The new Gloworm XS ( three XM-L2's ) is getting rave reviews. Since I already know the beam patterns of the "Gloworms I can only assume that the XS is "Out of this world bright". The nice thing about the GW's is that you can adjust the modes ( stepless option ) the way you want and the mounting options are the best in the business ( IMO ). Not to mention that the lamps are small and low profile....and customer service is top notch.

That said, a Gloworm XS on the bars and a DiNotte XML-3 on the helmet might very well make a good combo for MTB'ing..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I have gone with the Lupine's, that been said my choice wasn't between Lupine/Dinotte. I went with the Lupine because I was fortunate enough to have the budget and had been upgrading lights every year and selling off my old sets to riders that were also becoming interested in night riding. For me I think the Lupines are the best lighting systems out there. Are they the best value,,, hell no!! Now a days competition has closed the gap considerably and for a lot less money. Dinotte is one brand that I think is overlooked too much. Over the years they have received very good reviews and if I'm remembering correctly in 2012 was voted best value by Francois's review.

Rearviewmirro I think the most important question is,, how long are your night rides?? If you rarely ride more than two hours then I think the Dinotte xml3/xml4 would be a great choice. The only problem I have with Dinotte is their unwillingness to go to a larger capacity battery. For me that is a deal breaker as I like high lumens as my night vision sucks, and only ninety minutes of run time on a brand new battery in perfect conditions for the xml-4 just isn't close as I like to know I can go out for three hours if I want without any worry that I'm going to run out of battery. In my view, why pay for all those lumens if you have to use the low setting for most of your ride to get longer run time, that's why I love the Lupines as they have so many battery choices. If your night rides are longer and you don't mind carrying extra battery's I'd still go with Dinotte as their quality is very good and you cant beat their value.

Just to make things more difficult,,, the Wilma is much smaller than the xml-4 and a fair bit brighter with lots of programing options including built in battery gauge on both the Smart Core battery and the lamp head, as well as a voltage gauge using the same leds on the lamp head. And lots of battery options. Cheers!!
    Thanks for the input, I definitely like the Lupine's. My thoughts on the Dinotte is that they're top notch quality, and the 4-cell batteries do hold their again against their rated time. Since I'd run an XML 3 and XML 4 I really wouldn't need them on 100% all the time anyway. I could get one bad ass light, or two good lights, I prefer two in case one fails. The GloWorm looks good, but it's really expensive in my opinion. Back on Dinotte, I also have the two 2-cell batteries so I could carry a spare if I think there is a risk of running through the 2 x 4-cell batteries on the ride.

After re-reading your post I'll have another look at the Lupine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    @rearview....If you're going to go DiNotte I would go with the XM-L3 / XM-L 4 package. Then again I've not seen the beam pattern of the DiNotte quad so I'm not saying that is the best choice. Still the DiNotte lamps are well built and should last a lifetime. While I have been known to rag on DiNotte ( on occasion ) for being slow to upgrade, they stand behind their products very well. I'm glad to see them come out with newer offerings.

Personally I own one of the new Gloworm X2's and hands down it beats out every other lamp I own. The new Gloworm XS ( three XM-L2's ) is getting rave reviews. Since I already know the beam patterns of the "Gloworms I can only assume that the XS is "Out of this world bright". The nice thing about the GW's is that you can adjust the modes ( stepless option ) the way you want and the mounting options are the best in the business ( IMO ). Not to mention that the lamps are small and low profile....and customer service is top notch.

That said, a Gloworm XS on the bars and a DiNotte XML-3 on the helmet might very well make a good combo for MTB'ing..
    What kind of battery connector does Gloworm use? If it is compatible with Dinotte it might be a nice option. If not then I'd be better off w/ the dual Dinotte setup, just to eliminate multiple battery types. I'll have a look at their website, if it's compatible it might be a nice option. The XS is quite expensive though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the input, I definitely like the Lupine's. My thoughts on the Dinotte is that they're top notch quality, and the 4-cell batteries do hold their again against their rated time. Since I'd run an XML 3 and XML 4 I really wouldn't need them on 100% all the time anyway. I could get one bad ass light, or two good lights, I prefer two in case one fails. The GloWorm looks good, but it's really expensive in my opinion. Back on Dinotte, I also have the two 2-cell batteries so I could carry a spare if I think there is a risk of running through the 2 x 4-cell batteries on the ride.

After re-reading your post I'll have another look at the Lupine.
    On your comment about one bad ass light or two good ones,, if two lupines are out of your budget don't get them for the reason you mentioned. Using just one light for night riding is just asking for trouble!! to save a little $$$ with Lupine you could use the Wilma one the bars and Piko on your lid. However with your spare battery's for Dinotte that Xml-4 for the bars/Xml-3 for your lid is also gong to rock. Just make sure your not on the low setting other than climbs wasting all those lumens most of your ride.

mtbr member
    What kind of battery connector does Gloworm use? If it is compatible with Dinotte it might be a nice option. If not then I'd be better off w/ the dual Dinotte setup, just to eliminate multiple battery types. I'll have a look at their website, if it's compatible it might be a nice option. The XS is quite expensive though.
    The Gloworm's use the standard MS type connector. They will work with most connectors that employ the same basic size plugs. The Dinotte battery plug ( on the battery side ) is similar in size. While they will work with a Gloworm ( lamp ) connector their is no rubber shielding like with the DiNotte lamps to lock in and protect the connection. This means that the connection is not going to be as tight and the connection is not shielded from water. It will work though and the polarity is the same ( with my old 600L ). If you were worried about the connection coming apart or water getting into the connection you could add a piece of electrical tape over the plugs to seal things better. In dry weather though I don't see this as a problem. If I were to buy a Gloworm XS I would definitely want at least a 6000mAh battery to run it. You can buy the Gloworm XS head separately. If you already have a good battery you just need the lamp head.

Since you mention DiNotte and DiNotte batteries, I just noticed something tonight while messing around with my batteries. The battery I bought from Hunk Lee works perfectly with the old DiNotte 600L lamp that I own. Matter of fact the fit is so tight it is a little hard to pull apart. ( the battery plug fit right up inside the shielding of the DiNotte lamp plug, snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug... ) If DiNotte is still using the same connectors ( which I think they are ) the Hunk Lee batteries are an interesting alternative to the more expensive DiNotte batteries. Since Hunk Lee will use the batteries of your choice, if you choose Panasonic cells you are going to get a very good battery at a very good price.

Of course the DiNotte batteries are housed in a waterproof casing and include a built in mounting system. The Hunk Lee's are not waterproof and have no mounting system. Still, if you already have a battery bag and then wrap some silicone tape around the battery shrink wrap, a Hunk Lee battery could make a great ( less expensive ) alternative if you need to replace your DiNotte battery.

mtbr member
    The dinotte lights and hunk Lee batteries fit like a ove. I always use a small piece of electical tape when I use my gemini and gloworm light heads.
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 06-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    The Gloworm's use the standard MS type connector. They will work with most connectors that employ the same basic size plugs. The Dinotte battery plug ( on the battery side ) is similar in size. While they will work with a Gloworm ( lamp ) connector their is no rubber shielding like with the DiNotte lamps to lock in and protect the connection. This means that the connection is not going to be as tight and the connection is not shielded from water. It will work though and the polarity is the same ( with my old 600L ). If you were worried about the connection coming apart or water getting into the connection you could add a piece of electrical tape over the plugs to seal things better. In dry weather though I don't see this as a problem. If I were to buy a Gloworm XS I would definitely want at least a 6000mAh battery to run it. You can buy the Gloworm XS head separately. If you already have a good battery you just need the lamp head.

Since you mention DiNotte and DiNotte batteries, I just noticed something tonight while messing around with my batteries. The battery I bought from Hunk Lee works perfectly with the old DiNotte 600L lamp that I own. Matter of fact the fit is so tight it is a little hard to pull apart. ( the battery plug fit right up inside the shielding of the DiNotte lamp plug, snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug... ) If DiNotte is still using the same connectors ( which I think they are ) the Hunk Lee batteries are an interesting alternative to the more expensive DiNotte batteries. Since Hunk Lee will use the batteries of your choice, if you choose Panasonic cells you are going to get a very good battery at a very good price.

Of course the DiNotte batteries are housed in a waterproof casing and include a built in mounting system. The Hunk Lee's are not waterproof and have no mounting system. Still, if you already have a battery bag and then wrap some silicone tape around the battery shrink wrap, a Hunk Lee battery could make a great ( less expensive ) alternative if you need to replace your DiNotte battery.

Thanks for the info those batteries, I built my own in the past, but these HL batteries seem like a good option. I've decided to go with the XLM-3/4 combo, I'll see how I go with the 4C batteries for a while, and get an 6C if required.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    The dinotte lights and hunk Lee batteries fit like a ove. I always use a small piece of electical tape when I use my gemini and gloworm light heads.
    G-dog....here's something I discovered last night using the HL battery and a standard MS connector; you can actually make a ( removable ) rubber shield for the Hunk Lee connector that functions like a standard MS connector. How it's done;

1) you need a small piece of thin rubber and cut it ~ 2cm x 7 cm. Old tire tubes are too thin. It needs to be a bit more stiff so it holds it shape. If you have an old rubber shim from an old bike light mount that might work ( if it's not too thick )

2) You Then wrap the rubber piece around the Hunk lee connector so that it simulates what a typical shielded female MS plug looks like. Experiment with the male MS connector to get the position right.

3) When you think you have the position right, cut off any excess from your rubber piece and wrap some electrical or Tommy tape around the battery plug/rubber piece only. If you don't get it right the first time repeat the process till you get it right.

I used Tommy tape on mine. Tommy tape is a brand name but it is also sold under different brands. Basically it is a rubberize tape that has no adhesive applied...HOWEVER...it sticks like glue to itself. Once you over-lap it on the plug it won't move and is virtually waterproof. Anyway, it's not going to be as nice as the standard plugs but it will work and will help keep water from getting into the connectors. Done right you should be able to pull the M/FM plugs apart and reinsert them without too much problem.

Yep, Hunk Lee with Dinotte lamp needs no DIY fix as the DiNotte lamps have the rubber shielding on the lamp side.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast