Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens

12K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  Wish I Were Riding 
#1 ·
Hi there just curious if anyone ordered/have this light already? Care to share you're experience

Thanks
Bong

#6 ·
Since I have an XML-3 original version, I know how bright it is so that new one must be real bright in real life based on the photo.

However, it's larger and I personally like the smaller light. Seriously, the dual XML-3 set up is bright enough on medium for any riding. Guess everyone's eyes are different tho.

Wonder when they'll come out w/ the 8 up. Haha.

MB

#7 ·
Since I have an XML-3 original version, I know how bright it is so that new one must be real bright in real life based on the photo.

However, it's larger and I personally like the smaller light. Seriously, the dual XML-3 set up is bright enough on medium for any riding. Guess everyone's eyes are different tho.

Yeah,

Wonder when they'll come out w/ the 8 up. Haha.

MB
It is a bit large. I didn't look it up yet but but compared to the XML3's is is big. Makes me wonder if that strap system they are using is going to keep it in place.

First thing I noticed was how much it looked like the Solarstorm XT40. The DiNotte though is using optics which in a quad configuration should give it a nice even spread of light.

I asked about the UI because I want to know if it includes a "stepless" option on the mode menu. Would also be nice to know it there are any "optic" options. With two flood and two spot you would get a really nice beam pattern . I wonder what the standard set-up is using. (?)

#10 ·
Good to hear that the strap system is holding it in place. :thumbsup:

I am somewhat surprised that DiNotte has not applied the "Stepless" option into their user interface. While I'm sure the DiNotte quad is a fine light and will work fine as is, having a "Stepless" option would of made it more versatile and would have made a great selling point.

The reason I say this is because when it comes to lamps that have the capability of outputting over 1500 lumen, it becomes more important to the user if you have the option to "adjust" the output of any given mode.

Case in point: I don't know what the output levels are for the D-quad but lets say they are 2100-1500-600 (H-M-L ). For someone doing a race it might be better if you can set that back to > 2100-800-400 or 1800-800-200...if you have longer extended climbing. Having the option to adjust the output of each mode gives the user the option of customizing the lamp to suit the "need of the moment". For passive trails or long epic rides you tweak it back for extended run times. For freaky terrain and monster downhills you tweak it up and set medium a little higher so you always know whats coming up. With "Stepless" you have all kinds of options. The more raw output you have the more useful it can be.

Just my opinion here but if the DiNotte quad is truly outputting 2100 lumen they might have considered including another (4th) steady mode. Without a "stepless" UI, a four mode UI would of been the next best thing. Usually I prefer 3 steady modes but with higher outputs that tends to change things.

Anyway, enough opinionated editorializing on my part for now. I want to hear more about how the lamp is working in the field.

#12 ·
Bike fan of Dinotte lights. I have the dual-quad 1200+ as the bar and a XML-3 as the helmet. I could see replacing the dual quad with a quad. Here are the specs from their page:

Tech-Specs for DiNotte XML-4 Headlight

Model: XML-4

Brightness: 2100 Lumens

Run Time (Steady): 1.5 Hours at 100% Power
3 Hours at 50% Power
6 Hours at 25% Power

Run Time (Strobe): 5 Hours Emergency Strobe
7.5 Hours Steady with Pulse Burst
10 Hours On-Off

Modes-Steady: 100% Power
50% Power
25% Power

Modes-Flash: On-Off,
Steady with Pulse Burst,
Emergency Strobe

Charge Time: 4hrs (4-Cell Battery)

Compatible Batteries: 4-Cell battery only

LEDs 4 of the newest CREE-XML2

Body Material: Anodized Aluminum

Mount Type: EPDM Rubber (UV Resistent) Strap Mount

Waterproof: Yes (IP67)

Best/Recomended Uses Headlight,
Helmet Light

What's in the box XML-4 Light Engine
Endurance Series Battery Pack (4-Cell)
World-Wide Smart Charger, Battery Strap
Extension Cable (1 Meter)
Helmet Mount
Handlebar Mount
Battery Strap (Hook and Loop)

Works Great with: XML-3 or XML-4 on the helmet with XML-4 on the bike

Height off the bar 52mm (2.05in)

Width 55mm (2.16in

Length/Depth 60mm (2.4in)

Cord Length 250mm (10in)

Light+Battery Cord Length 400mm (16in)

Weight 218g (7.6oz)

Extension Cord Length: 1 Meter (39in)

PDF Manual: https://************************/d/1L4qqOhqQgsPBYrwb7vBXEdtjT5ajnIjbHZWDKTYR3xw/edit?usp=sharing

Li-Ion Battery Care PDF: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...srcid=0Bytl6AHl6rMVNGMyN2MyY2QtOGY4Yi00MmY4LW

#13 ·
I am finally replacing my 10 year old Niterider HID Storm, I can't believe it last this many seasons. I'm a Dinotte fan, I use an XML-1 and 400R for commuting. I'm thinking of going with Dinotte XML 3 or 4 for MTB night rides, and I'm also considering Lupine. The Lupine is stupid expensive, but if I get 10 years out of it like my NR then I'm OK with $100/year. I like the feedback I've read so far on the XML-3 (bar and helmet), I'm wondering if the benefit of the XML-4 is worth it, more light, less run time. My plan is to carry one of my spare 2Cell batteries for a backup on longer rides. Has anyone gone with Lupine over Dinotte?

#17 ·
I have gone with the Lupine's, that been said my choice wasn't between Lupine/Dinotte. I went with the Lupine because I was fortunate enough to have the budget and had been upgrading lights every year and selling off my old sets to riders that were also becoming interested in night riding. For me I think the Lupines are the best lighting systems out there. Are they the best value,,, hell no!! Now a days competition has closed the gap considerably and for a lot less money. Dinotte is one brand that I think is overlooked too much. Over the years they have received very good reviews and if I'm remembering correctly in 2012 was voted best value by Francois's review.

Rearviewmirro I think the most important question is,, how long are your night rides?? If you rarely ride more than two hours then I think the Dinotte xml3/xml4 would be a great choice. The only problem I have with Dinotte is their unwillingness to go to a larger capacity battery. For me that is a deal breaker as I like high lumens as my night vision sucks, and only ninety minutes of run time on a brand new battery in perfect conditions for the xml-4 just isn't close as I like to know I can go out for three hours if I want without any worry that I'm going to run out of battery. In my view, why pay for all those lumens if you have to use the low setting for most of your ride to get longer run time, that's why I love the Lupines as they have so many battery choices. If your night rides are longer and you don't mind carrying extra battery's I'd still go with Dinotte as their quality is very good and you cant beat their value.

Just to make things more difficult,,,:) the Wilma is much smaller than the xml-4 and a fair bit brighter with lots of programing options including built in battery gauge on both the Smart Core battery and the lamp head, as well as a voltage gauge using the same leds on the lamp head. And lots of battery options. Cheers!!

#14 ·
Which lupine lights are you considering? Unless your getting a betty in your set up I probably wouldn't go with lupine because the gloworm xs and the D4 are close to the Wilma in the output class for half the cost. A riding buddy has a Betty and it's top notch quality. All I own is a d400 daytime for my road bike and it's a solid light. If your coming from a 10 year old NR. I'm sure the D or Lupine are going to blow your socks of. I consider d a high grade light but the settings need a little work. Either way you can't go wrong. It really comes down to money. If it not an issue why not go with lupine.

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was going to get the Wilma if I got Lupine. I saw that Dinotte has an MTB package which includes 2 x XML-4 or an XML-3 and 4. I think the latter is a better option, with the 4 on the bars and the 3 on the helmet. I like the XML-1 on my road bike it's great even for 5 AM starts in the winter. I think I'll stick with Dinotte, but as a final exercise I'll look at GloWorm as well since they're an NZ brand. Dollar for dollar though I think I like Dinotte better.

#18 ·
@rearview....If you're going to go DiNotte I would go with the XM-L3 / XM-L 4 package. Then again I've not seen the beam pattern of the DiNotte quad so I'm not saying that is the best choice. Still the DiNotte lamps are well built and should last a lifetime. While I have been known to rag on DiNotte ( on occasion ) for being slow to upgrade, they stand behind their products very well. I'm glad to see them come out with newer offerings.

Personally I own one of the new Gloworm X2's and hands down it beats out every other lamp I own. The new Gloworm XS ( three XM-L2's ) is getting rave reviews. Since I already know the beam patterns of the "Gloworms I can only assume that the XS is "Out of this world bright". The nice thing about the GW's is that you can adjust the modes ( stepless option ) the way you want and the mounting options are the best in the business ( IMO ). Not to mention that the lamps are small and low profile....and customer service is top notch.

That said, a Gloworm XS on the bars and a DiNotte XML-3 on the helmet might very well make a good combo for MTB'ing..

#20 ·
@rearview....If you're going to go DiNotte I would go with the XM-L3 / XM-L 4 package. Then again I've not seen the beam pattern of the DiNotte quad so I'm not saying that is the best choice. Still the DiNotte lamps are well built and should last a lifetime. While I have been known to rag on DiNotte ( on occasion ) for being slow to upgrade, they stand behind their products very well. I'm glad to see them come out with newer offerings.

Personally I own one of the new Gloworm X2's and hands down it beats out every other lamp I own. The new Gloworm XS ( three XM-L2's ) is getting rave reviews. Since I already know the beam patterns of the "Gloworms I can only assume that the XS is "Out of this world bright". The nice thing about the GW's is that you can adjust the modes ( stepless option ) the way you want and the mounting options are the best in the business ( IMO ). Not to mention that the lamps are small and low profile....and customer service is top notch.

That said, a Gloworm XS on the bars and a DiNotte XML-3 on the helmet might very well make a good combo for MTB'ing..
What kind of battery connector does Gloworm use? If it is compatible with Dinotte it might be a nice option. If not then I'd be better off w/ the dual Dinotte setup, just to eliminate multiple battery types. I'll have a look at their website, if it's compatible it might be a nice option. The XS is quite expensive though.

#25 ·
G-dog....here's something I discovered last night using the HL battery and a standard MS connector; you can actually make a ( removable ) rubber shield for the Hunk Lee connector that functions like a standard MS connector. How it's done;

1) you need a small piece of thin rubber and cut it ~ 2cm x 7 cm. Old tire tubes are too thin. It needs to be a bit more stiff so it holds it shape. If you have an old rubber shim from an old bike light mount that might work ( if it's not too thick )

2) You Then wrap the rubber piece around the Hunk lee connector so that it simulates what a typical shielded female MS plug looks like. Experiment with the male MS connector to get the position right.

3) When you think you have the position right, cut off any excess from your rubber piece and wrap some electrical or Tommy tape around the battery plug/rubber piece only. If you don't get it right the first time repeat the process till you get it right.

I used Tommy tape on mine. Tommy tape is a brand name but it is also sold under different brands. Basically it is a rubberize tape that has no adhesive applied...HOWEVER...it sticks like glue to itself. Once you over-lap it on the plug it won't move and is virtually waterproof. Anyway, it's not going to be as nice as the standard plugs but it will work and will help keep water from getting into the connectors. Done right you should be able to pull the M/FM plugs apart and reinsert them without too much problem.

Yep, Hunk Lee with Dinotte lamp needs no DIY fix as the DiNotte lamps have the rubber shielding on the lamp side.

#27 ·
Cat and others... final question.

Do you recommend 2 x XML-3 or the XML 3/4 combo? The 4 does 1.5 hours on high, 2.5 for the 3. I will most like like riding for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark, assuming this I would run the XML 4 at 50% most of the time, which I'm sure is fine for the bars. Then the XML-3 on the helmet running at 100% most of the time. Would it make more sense to run two XML-3's at 50% (Rated 3.5 hours to 100% (rated 2.5 hours) or the mix with riding and reducing power on climbs and when waiting for my slow friends. :) Seriously though, is the XML-4 overkill? Or is 2 x XML-3 more than enough?

EDIT: I started reading about Gloworm's again and think that might the right way to go, especially with the Hunk Lee battery option. I really like DiNotte, but I can't argue with the features and lightweight of the GW X2 and XS. Damn, I just need to pick a set, we're into winter now and I don't have any lights!

#31 ·
I think if you're going to go DiNotte why not be bold and go with the 3-4 combo. I figure ( my gut feeling ) that the optical array on the XML-4 is likely geared for bar usage and should provide a wide yet far throwing beam pattern. Since there are no beam photos of the XMl-4 to show otherwise I really can't say too much more about the potential output.

Although I've never seen an XML-3 in person the beam photos of the "3" ( and the small relative size ) always suggested ( to me ) that the XML-3 might make a very good helmet lamp. Keep in mind, like with the Gloworm dealers, the DiNotte people will likely "combo deal" your order and sell you just the lamp heads if that is what you want. The Hunk Lee *(type) batteries seem to work very well with the D-connectors and might save you some cash.

( *Please note: the link that G-dog03 supplied ( 6 or 8 cell battery ) looks very similar to the Hunk Lee's. I'd go 6-cell if you get a XML-4. No sense in getting an 8-cell. If you need an 8-cell you're better off just buying two 4-cells and just switch out when needed. While you save money buying batteries on line you still need to waterproof the battery, get a battery bag to mount it to your frame ( if you don't already own one ) and buy a charger if you don't already have one. Lastly, the plug wire on the Hunk Lee type batteries are not really long. Depending on your mounting solution you might need a longer wire. One last note, if you buy batteries from an on-line dealer you need to know the warranty guarantee BEFORE you buy.

#28 ·
I would go with the gloworm lights. The XS on the bars and X2 on the dome. But if you go with the dinotte's I'd get the 4/4 combo for sure. Both companies make great products. Don't get strung up on "overkill" because you can always dim them down. :nono:

I have this battery and it will give you some good run times :cool:
Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay

If that doesn't meet your needs. This badboy will give you 4+ hours on high :eekster:

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM | eBay

good luck!!

#30 ·
I have not tried the xml-4 but do have the xml-3 dual both on the bars. I use a cheap small flashlight on the helmet w/ several batteries. About 1 hr run time on the flashlight per battery. It's actually bright enough by itself most the time.

I like using the dual on the bars b/c the beam pattern just can't be beat w/ both on. And I rarely use them on high, mainly middle and even on middle they are more then bright enough and there is nowhere on the trail that they don't cover. And that's for the original 1000 lumen model. They're on their 3rd season and the batteries are not fresh but they'll last over 1.5 hrs on high and seems like forever on medium. I bought a cheapie Chinese battery, 6 cell $19 and it powered the xml-3 for 2:04 before turning red and another 1/2 hour before giving out. I think b/c the light head is so efficient and not necessarily the quality of battery.

It's about brightness but also about beam pattern and efficiency. And features. Oh and durability.

Just make sure you don't think the 4 is too big. The 3 is nice and small and you won't know they are there which is why I prefer the 3's.

Also, I really don't care that much for the 3 on the helmet. Weight is not the issue, it's very light but I like a more defined hot spot that can shine way down the trail or deep into the woods to see what that noise is if you get my drift. (ride by myself after work a lot)

Anyhow, hope this helps you out.

MB

#33 ·
hello all
jumping in on this thread as I am considering buying the XML-4. I had a few questions I hope some people can answer.
I have another 24 hour solo race next year, and looking to upgrade my light set for something brighter. I have had various sets of lights over the years and I am currently running the Stryker from Baja lights which is about 800 lumens. I have 3 sets of batteries that I use overnight to keep me going, with a recharge time of about 2-3 hours, which is pretty good.
Can anyone tell me the recharge time for the Dinotte batteries? Their batteries are reasonably priced so buying an extra 2 is very doable in their light price range. For the XML-4 light plus 2 extra batteries and 1 extra charger, you would be looking at under $500, which I think is pretty good value.
I have considered the Lupine too, but extra batteries for that light is a pricey $189, with a recharge time of 6 hours, so I would probably need an extra 2 batteries to make it through the night... which would amount to over $1000 for a complete 24 hour set up!! Very pricey.
My theory is I just use the XML-4 light on full brightness, and rotate the batteries every 1.5-2 hrs. Hoping that 3 batteries would do the job through the night..?
One last question is how the XML-4 compares to the lupine in brightness? Both are stated around 2000-2200 lumens. Anyone seen a comparism in the flesh?
cheers,Simon

#36 ·
Are you just racing with one light set up? Dinotte has great value and quality, but their only drawback are small capacity battery's. This IMO is only an issue with their XM-L4 as you already know equal short run times.

The charge times are 4 hours per battery so u wouldn't be able to rotate even three battery's using full power on the XM-L4. Have you considered the XM-L3 as this light is still very bright at almost 1600 measured lumens and should fit in perfectly with a three battery rotation using full power?

As for XM-L4/Lupine comparison, which Lupine are to referring to? Piko is 1200 lumens/Wilma 2800 lumens/Betty 4500 lumens. Lets figure the Wilma as it is the closest in output. I'm sorry but haven't seen the XM-L4 in action but the Wilma has a measured 600 lumen advantage over it so clearly should out perform the XM-L4.

If you don't need 2000+ lumens have you considered the Piko with the 17.5mAh water bottle battery from gretnabikes.com ? This should give all the run time you need considering at most your talking 12 hours of night riding right?

I think though in summery the XM-L3 with three battery's would be your best bang for the buck in a proven quality company.:)

That been said,,, if you can splurge,,, the Wilma kicks A$$!!!!

#34 ·
It only runs for 1.5h on high right??

which lupine?? one is 1200 next up 2700.

I have a question.

I want longer runtime from this light if I get it. Is it possible to use gloworm/gemini batteries with this light?? im thinking 4 cell ones.
What modifications would have to be done for this to work??

#51 ·
1.5 hrs run time on high it states.
For what it's worth, my DiNotte experience is that my light (the older 1200+) will signal "low battery" very early if you use it on HIGH at lower temperatures. Below freezing, maybe 30 minutes. I've consulted DiNotte and tried a couple steps including a new charger and standing in a vat of eels at midnight (ok, not really), and had no improvements. So if your temperatures start dropping into the 40F-50F range, this may be a factor.

For myself, since I sometimes do a substantial amount of training rides in the winter, I've resorted to a dynamo for my baseline, with battery-powered lights mainly held in reserve for descending or high-traffic areas.

#37 ·
I just want to run the one light yes, keeping weight down to a minimum.
The stryker I ran before was 800 lumen, anything around 1200-1500 would be a vast improvement. Fatigue on the bike through the night wreaks havoc on tired eyes, so the brighter the better obviously. I plan on taking breaks and maybe a couple hours nap too, so 3 batteries should do it fine I think.
Has anyone had any success with running the larger battery with the XML-$ or 3 lights?
Like this one maybe as mentioned in the previous post

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM | eBay

#40 ·
Cat-man-do ............you are not from New Zealand then?? :)
......... there is a recharge station at the race so that is not a problem for battery recharge. My main concern was the recharge time for each light unit. Some state 2hrs, others up to 6hrs. That depicts how many extra batteries you need obviously.
The Gloworm XS looks like a good option at a reasonable price. As well as using these for the 24 hr race, it would be an update of my lighting too, so they would get plenty of use for recreational rides through the winter season.

patski...how long did the XS last on medium setting? And can you tell me what the recharge time is on the unit? The website states 4hrs but just wondered if that was a conservative statement.

Anyone know the best place to purchase the Gloworm and extra batteries?

#41 ·
Cat-man-do ............you are not from New Zealand then?? :)
......... there is a recharge station at the race so that is not a problem for battery recharge. My main concern was the recharge time for each light unit. Some state 2hrs, others up to 6hrs. That depicts how many extra batteries you need obviously.
The Gloworm XS looks like a good option at a reasonable price. As well as using these for the 24 hr race, it would be an update of my lighting too, so they would get plenty of use for recreational rides through the winter season.

patski...how long did the XS last on medium setting? And can you tell me what the recharge time is on the unit? The website states 4hrs but just wondered if that was a conservative statement.

Anyone know the best place to purchase the Gloworm and extra batteries?
Action LED. Since you race you might want to consider buying a hobby charger at some point. A hobby charger will allow you to charge your Li-ion's a little faster. Up to 2A should be okay. Although usually this is not recommended ( as it can hurt the batteries ) I don't think it will effect the batteries in the long run if you are only doing it for a couple races. Slow charge ( ~ 1A ) most of the time and you should be fine. If you want fast charging full time you might consider using LiPo *batteries. ( * usually sold by the same websites that sell the hobby chargers )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.