Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip Cat. I'll give it a try.

mtbr member
    Cat and others... final question.

Do you recommend 2 x XML-3 or the XML 3/4 combo? The 4 does 1.5 hours on high, 2.5 for the 3. I will most like like riding for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark, assuming this I would run the XML 4 at 50% most of the time, which I'm sure is fine for the bars. Then the XML-3 on the helmet running at 100% most of the time. Would it make more sense to run two XML-3's at 50% (Rated 3.5 hours to 100% (rated 2.5 hours) or the mix with riding and reducing power on climbs and when waiting for my slow friends. Seriously though, is the XML-4 overkill? Or is 2 x XML-3 more than enough?

EDIT: I started reading about Gloworm's again and think that might the right way to go, especially with the Hunk Lee battery option. I really like DiNotte, but I can't argue with the features and lightweight of the GW X2 and XS. Damn, I just need to pick a set, we're into winter now and I don't have any lights!
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    I would go with the gloworm lights. The XS on the bars and X2 on the dome. But if you go with the dinotte's I'd get the 4/4 combo for sure. Both companies make great products. Don't get strung up on "overkill" because you can always dim them down.

I have this battery and it will give you some good run times
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay

If that doesn't meet your needs. This badboy will give you 4+ hours on high

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM | eBay

good luck!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Get the xml-4 xml-3 combo if you decide to go with dinotte and just get another battery for longer rides. Tried 2xml3 but liked the xml4xml3 combo way more😁😁😁

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have not tried the xml-4 but do have the xml-3 dual both on the bars. I use a cheap small flashlight on the helmet w/ several batteries. About 1 hr run time on the flashlight per battery. It's actually bright enough by itself most the time.

I like using the dual on the bars b/c the beam pattern just can't be beat w/ both on. And I rarely use them on high, mainly middle and even on middle they are more then bright enough and there is nowhere on the trail that they don't cover. And that's for the original 1000 lumen model. They're on their 3rd season and the batteries are not fresh but they'll last over 1.5 hrs on high and seems like forever on medium. I bought a cheapie Chinese battery, 6 cell $19 and it powered the xml-3 for 2:04 before turning red and another 1/2 hour before giving out. I think b/c the light head is so efficient and not necessarily the quality of battery.

It's about brightness but also about beam pattern and efficiency. And features. Oh and durability.

Just make sure you don't think the 4 is too big. The 3 is nice and small and you won't know they are there which is why I prefer the 3's.

Also, I really don't care that much for the 3 on the helmet. Weight is not the issue, it's very light but I like a more defined hot spot that can shine way down the trail or deep into the woods to see what that noise is if you get my drift. (ride by myself after work a lot)

Anyhow, hope this helps you out.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    Cat and others... final question.

Do you recommend 2 x XML-3 or the XML 3/4 combo? The 4 does 1.5 hours on high, 2.5 for the 3. I will most like like riding for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark, assuming this I would run the XML 4 at 50% most of the time, which I'm sure is fine for the bars. Then the XML-3 on the helmet running at 100% most of the time. Would it make more sense to run two XML-3's at 50% (Rated 3.5 hours to 100% (rated 2.5 hours) or the mix with riding and reducing power on climbs and when waiting for my slow friends. Seriously though, is the XML-4 overkill? Or is 2 x XML-3 more than enough?

EDIT: I started reading about Gloworm's again and think that might the right way to go, especially with the Hunk Lee battery option. I really like DiNotte, but I can't argue with the features and lightweight of the GW X2 and XS. Damn, I just need to pick a set, we're into winter now and I don't have any lights!
    I think if you're going to go DiNotte why not be bold and go with the 3-4 combo. I figure ( my gut feeling ) that the optical array on the XML-4 is likely geared for bar usage and should provide a wide yet far throwing beam pattern. Since there are no beam photos of the XMl-4 to show otherwise I really can't say too much more about the potential output.

Although I've never seen an XML-3 in person the beam photos of the "3" ( and the small relative size ) always suggested ( to me ) that the XML-3 might make a very good helmet lamp. Keep in mind, like with the Gloworm dealers, the DiNotte people will likely "combo deal" your order and sell you just the lamp heads if that is what you want. The Hunk Lee *(type) batteries seem to work very well with the D-connectors and might save you some cash.

( *Please note: the link that G-dog03 supplied ( 6 or 8 cell battery ) looks very similar to the Hunk Lee's. I'd go 6-cell if you get a XML-4. No sense in getting an 8-cell. If you need an 8-cell you're better off just buying two 4-cells and just switch out when needed. While you save money buying batteries on line you still need to waterproof the battery, get a battery bag to mount it to your frame ( if you don't already own one ) and buy a charger if you don't already have one. Lastly, the plug wire on the Hunk Lee type batteries are not really long. Depending on your mounting solution you might need a longer wire. One last note, if you buy batteries from an on-line dealer you need to know the warranty guarantee BEFORE you buy.

nimble biker
    when will this light be on sale?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2