Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip Cat. I'll give it a try.

mtbr member
    Cat and others... final question.

Do you recommend 2 x XML-3 or the XML 3/4 combo? The 4 does 1.5 hours on high, 2.5 for the 3. I will most like like riding for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark, assuming this I would run the XML 4 at 50% most of the time, which I'm sure is fine for the bars. Then the XML-3 on the helmet running at 100% most of the time. Would it make more sense to run two XML-3's at 50% (Rated 3.5 hours to 100% (rated 2.5 hours) or the mix with riding and reducing power on climbs and when waiting for my slow friends. Seriously though, is the XML-4 overkill? Or is 2 x XML-3 more than enough?

EDIT: I started reading about Gloworm's again and think that might the right way to go, especially with the Hunk Lee battery option. I really like DiNotte, but I can't argue with the features and lightweight of the GW X2 and XS. Damn, I just need to pick a set, we're into winter now and I don't have any lights!
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    I would go with the gloworm lights. The XS on the bars and X2 on the dome. But if you go with the dinotte's I'd get the 4/4 combo for sure. Both companies make great products. Don't get strung up on "overkill" because you can always dim them down.

I have this battery and it will give you some good run times
    Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay

If that doesn't meet your needs. This badboy will give you 4+ hours on high

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM | eBay

good luck!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Get the xml-4 xml-3 combo if you decide to go with dinotte and just get another battery for longer rides. Tried 2xml3 but liked the xml4xml3 combo way more😁😁😁

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have not tried the xml-4 but do have the xml-3 dual both on the bars. I use a cheap small flashlight on the helmet w/ several batteries. About 1 hr run time on the flashlight per battery. It's actually bright enough by itself most the time.

I like using the dual on the bars b/c the beam pattern just can't be beat w/ both on. And I rarely use them on high, mainly middle and even on middle they are more then bright enough and there is nowhere on the trail that they don't cover. And that's for the original 1000 lumen model. They're on their 3rd season and the batteries are not fresh but they'll last over 1.5 hrs on high and seems like forever on medium. I bought a cheapie Chinese battery, 6 cell $19 and it powered the xml-3 for 2:04 before turning red and another 1/2 hour before giving out. I think b/c the light head is so efficient and not necessarily the quality of battery.

It's about brightness but also about beam pattern and efficiency. And features. Oh and durability.

Just make sure you don't think the 4 is too big. The 3 is nice and small and you won't know they are there which is why I prefer the 3's.

Also, I really don't care that much for the 3 on the helmet. Weight is not the issue, it's very light but I like a more defined hot spot that can shine way down the trail or deep into the woods to see what that noise is if you get my drift. (ride by myself after work a lot)

Anyhow, hope this helps you out.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    Cat and others... final question.

Do you recommend 2 x XML-3 or the XML 3/4 combo? The 4 does 1.5 hours on high, 2.5 for the 3. I will most like like riding for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours in the dark, assuming this I would run the XML 4 at 50% most of the time, which I'm sure is fine for the bars. Then the XML-3 on the helmet running at 100% most of the time. Would it make more sense to run two XML-3's at 50% (Rated 3.5 hours to 100% (rated 2.5 hours) or the mix with riding and reducing power on climbs and when waiting for my slow friends. Seriously though, is the XML-4 overkill? Or is 2 x XML-3 more than enough?

EDIT: I started reading about Gloworm's again and think that might the right way to go, especially with the Hunk Lee battery option. I really like DiNotte, but I can't argue with the features and lightweight of the GW X2 and XS. Damn, I just need to pick a set, we're into winter now and I don't have any lights!
    I think if you're going to go DiNotte why not be bold and go with the 3-4 combo. I figure ( my gut feeling ) that the optical array on the XML-4 is likely geared for bar usage and should provide a wide yet far throwing beam pattern. Since there are no beam photos of the XMl-4 to show otherwise I really can't say too much more about the potential output.

Although I've never seen an XML-3 in person the beam photos of the "3" ( and the small relative size ) always suggested ( to me ) that the XML-3 might make a very good helmet lamp. Keep in mind, like with the Gloworm dealers, the DiNotte people will likely "combo deal" your order and sell you just the lamp heads if that is what you want. The Hunk Lee *(type) batteries seem to work very well with the D-connectors and might save you some cash.

( *Please note: the link that G-dog03 supplied ( 6 or 8 cell battery ) looks very similar to the Hunk Lee's. I'd go 6-cell if you get a XML-4. No sense in getting an 8-cell. If you need an 8-cell you're better off just buying two 4-cells and just switch out when needed. While you save money buying batteries on line you still need to waterproof the battery, get a battery bag to mount it to your frame ( if you don't already own one ) and buy a charger if you don't already have one. Lastly, the plug wire on the Hunk Lee type batteries are not really long. Depending on your mounting solution you might need a longer wire. One last note, if you buy batteries from an on-line dealer you need to know the warranty guarantee BEFORE you buy.

nimble biker
    when will this light be on sale?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    hello all
    jumping in on this thread as I am considering buying the XML-4. I had a few questions I hope some people can answer.
    I have another 24 hour solo race next year, and looking to upgrade my light set for something brighter. I have had various sets of lights over the years and I am currently running the Stryker from Baja lights which is about 800 lumens. I have 3 sets of batteries that I use overnight to keep me going, with a recharge time of about 2-3 hours, which is pretty good.
    Can anyone tell me the recharge time for the Dinotte batteries? Their batteries are reasonably priced so buying an extra 2 is very doable in their light price range. For the XML-4 light plus 2 extra batteries and 1 extra charger, you would be looking at under $500, which I think is pretty good value.
    I have considered the Lupine too, but extra batteries for that light is a pricey $189, with a recharge time of 6 hours, so I would probably need an extra 2 batteries to make it through the night... which would amount to over $1000 for a complete 24 hour set up!! Very pricey.
    My theory is I just use the XML-4 light on full brightness, and rotate the batteries every 1.5-2 hrs. Hoping that 3 batteries would do the job through the night..?
    One last question is how the XML-4 compares to the lupine in brightness? Both are stated around 2000-2200 lumens. Anyone seen a comparism in the flesh?
    cheers,Simon

~ B A D A S S ~
    It only runs for 1.5h on high right??

which lupine?? one is 1200 next up 2700.

.................................................. ..............

I have a question.

I want longer runtime from this light if I get it. Is it possible to use gloworm/gemini batteries with this light?? im thinking 4 cell ones.
    What modifications would have to be done for this to work??
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    1.5 hrs run time on high it states. Would probably toggle between high and medium settings on the climbs to make it last a lap which is about 1hr45mins
    For the Lupine, the wilma is now 2800 lumens, I think it was 2200 lumens before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sijames View Post
    hello all
    jumping in on this thread as I am considering buying the XML-4. I had a few questions I hope some people can answer.
    I have another 24 hour solo race next year, and looking to upgrade my light set for something brighter. I have had various sets of lights over the years and I am currently running the Stryker from Baja lights which is about 800 lumens. I have 3 sets of batteries that I use overnight to keep me going, with a recharge time of about 2-3 hours, which is pretty good.
    Can anyone tell me the recharge time for the Dinotte batteries? Their batteries are reasonably priced so buying an extra 2 is very doable in their light price range. For the XML-4 light plus 2 extra batteries and 1 extra charger, you would be looking at under $500, which I think is pretty good value.
    I have considered the Lupine too, but extra batteries for that light is a pricey $189, with a recharge time of 6 hours, so I would probably need an extra 2 batteries to make it through the night... which would amount to over $1000 for a complete 24 hour set up!! Very pricey.
    My theory is I just use the XML-4 light on full brightness, and rotate the batteries every 1.5-2 hrs. Hoping that 3 batteries would do the job through the night..?
    One last question is how the XML-4 compares to the lupine in brightness? Both are stated around 2000-2200 lumens. Anyone seen a comparism in the flesh?
    cheers,Simon
    Are you just racing with one light set up? Dinotte has great value and quality, but their only drawback are small capacity battery's. This IMO is only an issue with their XM-L4 as you already know equal short run times.

The charge times are 4 hours per battery so u wouldn't be able to rotate even three battery's using full power on the XM-L4. Have you considered the XM-L3 as this light is still very bright at almost 1600 measured lumens and should fit in perfectly with a three battery rotation using full power?

As for XM-L4/Lupine comparison, which Lupine are to referring to? Piko is 1200 lumens/Wilma 2800 lumens/Betty 4500 lumens. Lets figure the Wilma as it is the closest in output. I'm sorry but haven't seen the XM-L4 in action but the Wilma has a measured 600 lumen advantage over it so clearly should out perform the XM-L4.

If you don't need 2000+ lumens have you considered the Piko with the 17.5mAh water bottle battery from gretnabikes.com ? This should give all the run time you need considering at most your talking 12 hours of night riding right?

I think though in summery the XM-L3 with three battery's would be your best bang for the buck in a proven quality company.

That been said,,, if you can splurge,,, the Wilma kicks A$$!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just want to run the one light yes, keeping weight down to a minimum.
    The stryker I ran before was 800 lumen, anything around 1200-1500 would be a vast improvement. Fatigue on the bike through the night wreaks havoc on tired eyes, so the brighter the better obviously. I plan on taking breaks and maybe a couple hours nap too, so 3 batteries should do it fine I think.
    Has anyone had any success with running the larger battery with the XML-$ or 3 lights?
    Like this one maybe as mentioned in the previous post

Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 13600mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S4PXM | eBay

mtbr member
    hello all
    cheers,Simon
    I had to comment about your post because even though I've never done a 24hr event, solo or otherwise, I'm not sure I would be considering the same light setup as you are. Since you didn't mention the possibilities of recharging the batteries during the race I'm assuming you have to carry the batteries that you need with you. If I'm wrong about that I'll come back to that thought later.

First and foremost you need a lamp ( and battery setup ) to get you through the night. You want one that is light-weight and supplies enough lumen to let you see better. Even so with that in mind you still have to factor in the duration issue and make sure you have enough battery power to finish the race. All things considered I think you need to compromise on your lighting strategy. Big powerful lamps are generally for recreational riders who just want as much light as possible during their 2-3hr rides. Of course if you are in a "supported race" you have the option to switch out batteries in which case efficiency is not so much an issue as long as you have enough charged batteries to keep you going.

There is of course an option to have your cake and eat it too. If you run a lamp like the Gloworm XS you will have the potential to run over 2000 lumen. The lamp is small, powerful and has added features that would make it very useable in a race venue. One of the most important features it offers is a programmable UI. This means "You" get to dictate how much output each of the light level modes emit. This gives the user the added advantage of using only the amount of battery power actually needed to get the job done. Very important if this is an unsupported race. A multi-emitter lamp set to minimal output levels can not only supply a lot of useable light it can also be , "Very Efficient" while doing so which can allow the user to get the most run time out of a battery. The Gloworms also come with a wired remote control which also gives you the added advantage of not having to move your hand off the bars when switching light levels.

I'm not saying that other lamps can't work well. I sure they can but you need to consider all the factors that have to do with riding at night ( during a race ) in order to get through a complete period of darkness ( whatever that may be ).

You also mention only riding with one lamp because of the added weight issue. While you might be able to get by with only one lamp, the advantages of having a two lamp system ( bars and helmet ) far outweigh the disadvantages of carrying the extra weight of the second set-up. Helmet lamps don't have to be heavy. You can use single cell torches or small light-weight dedicated helmet lamps. You don't always need to use the helmet lamp so generally if you only run the helmet lamp when needed you can make a battery last a long time by turning it off when not needed. I've done complete two hour rides using just one single 18650 cell in a torch and have had battery power to spare at the end of the ride. I can run my torch on the medium setting for three hours without problem ( using high only for downhills or for trails with a lot of turns ).

Anyway, sorry if this comes out sounding like an ad for Gloworm lights. Not my intention. Choose what works for you and enjoy the night. If the race is a "supported race" where you can switch out batteries in a pit area there are better options for fast charging batteries provided you know what battery types to use and what chargers will provide faster charging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Anyway, sorry if this comes out sounding like an ad for Gloworm lights. Not my intention.
    Allow me then.

When riding in a group I can't use my XS on high because the guys in from of me can't see the trail due to their shadow cast from my light. So I've been riding on medium which is actually plenty of light. Still a few complaints from the chineselight crowd but the Seca1700 guys are ok. Tuesday night I rode with a group on easy/intermediate but tight twisty trails and I used low(600lm) most of the time, I had my helmet X2 on low also. I'm, ahem, an older guy so my night vision isn't what it used to be.

I was very impressed with the light output on low, so was everyone else, that means a battery time of around 10hours. I did however purchase new walmart clear safety glasses to replace the beat up ones in my light bag, that was worth a couple hundred lumens right there.

I didn't think I'd use the thumb switch much but it's become a "must have."
    Last edited by patski; 11-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cat-man-do ............you are not from New Zealand then?? :-)
    ......... there is a recharge station at the race so that is not a problem for battery recharge. My main concern was the recharge time for each light unit. Some state 2hrs, others up to 6hrs. That depicts how many extra batteries you need obviously.
    The Gloworm XS looks like a good option at a reasonable price. As well as using these for the 24 hr race, it would be an update of my lighting too, so they would get plenty of use for recreational rides through the winter season.

patski...how long did the XS last on medium setting? And can you tell me what the recharge time is on the unit? The website states 4hrs but just wondered if that was a conservative statement.

Anyone know the best place to purchase the Gloworm and extra batteries?

mtbr member
    Cat-man-do ............you are not from New Zealand then?? :-)
    ......... there is a recharge station at the race so that is not a problem for battery recharge. My main concern was the recharge time for each light unit. Some state 2hrs, others up to 6hrs. That depicts how many extra batteries you need obviously.
    The Gloworm XS looks like a good option at a reasonable price. As well as using these for the 24 hr race, it would be an update of my lighting too, so they would get plenty of use for recreational rides through the winter season.

patski...how long did the XS last on medium setting? And can you tell me what the recharge time is on the unit? The website states 4hrs but just wondered if that was a conservative statement.

Action LED. Since you race you might want to consider buying a hobby charger at some point. A hobby charger will allow you to charge your Li-ion's a little faster. Up to 2A should be okay. Although usually this is not recommended ( as it can hurt the batteries ) I don't think it will effect the batteries in the long run if you are only doing it for a couple races. Slow charge ( ~ 1A ) most of the time and you should be fine. If you want fast charging full time you might consider using LiPo *batteries. ( * usually sold by the same websites that sell the hobby chargers )

mtbr member
    patski...how long did the XS last on medium setting?
    According to Action-LED, http://i.imgur.com/KgwNPRy.png

I haven't ridden over 3.5hrs with my lights on MED yet this year, max so far is ~4hrs with a combo of DIM/LOW/MED/HIGH, still on one of the green indicators. That thumb switch is awesome.

And can you tell me what the recharge time is on the unit? The website states 4hrs but just wondered if that was a conservative statement.
    No idea what actuall recharge time is, I plug them in when I get home from the ride and unplug them in the morning.

Gloworm and lots of spare Batteries at ACTION-LED, Action-LED-Lights: BATTERIES

Tonight I'm going to try the Commuter setting, Full moon so it may not be a fair test.

Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-kgwnpry.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    when will this light be on sale?
    Spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
    I have this battery and it will give you some good run times Panasonic NCR18650B 7 4V 10200mAh Protected Li ion Battery for Bike Light 2S3PM | eBay
    Gharddog03, Hijacking the thread even more, how long did shipping take from Hunk to Fresburg? Did you shrinkwrap them? Plastidip?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Have to admit, the more I read up on the Gloworm, the more I like them and their versatility! Thanks for that patski
    Hard to justify a Lupine Wilma and extra battery to the wife when there are mouths to feed in the house! Gloworm is well within my budget!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cross posting this from another thread, so don't freak out if you see it there too.

Who is using dual X2's (1 on the bars and 1 on the helmet), and how does it work for you?

I'm considering these setups:
    1) dual X2 lights
    2) X2 on bars and X1 on helmet
    3) or going with Dinotte instead of Gloworm

If I go with Dinotte, I may get the XML-4 for the bars and the XML-3 for the helmet. I'm hoping Francois will hurry up with the XML-4 review...

Thoughts?

~ B A D A S S ~
    Or maybe xs on the bars and x1 on the head?? I have the xera and xs and an olympia and the xera has by far the largest optic lens, its like 2x the diameter of the xs/x2 and it concentrates the beam much tighter/better. i would get a big lens single on the head and whatever on the bar.

Or maybe the dual dinotte combo, just get better batteries for them. I mean 4400mah??? really? I just recieved 2 of the biggest 4 cell gloworm batteries and they are 6800mah!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

xml-4/xml-3

Dinotte XML-4 2100 lumens-13824_10152611195729209_9166609962671698744_n.jpg

xml-4 helmet
    xml-3 bar

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbong View Post

xml-4 helmet
    xml-3 bar
    Why not the opposite setup?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    just tried something different.. but I think I like this set up better minus the weight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast