mtbr member
    Nov 2005

DiNotte XML-3 vs Gemini Duo

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new helmet light, it seems like for dependability and illumination it may come down to one of these two, with a 4 cell battery,their price is very comparable, the stryker on sale also looks interesting, but seems to lack the firepower of these other two. Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated, I've been following some of these posts and know that there a lot of folks on here with a lot of knowledge about lights .I'm only in a position to spend $250. for lighting for my limited night rides, so this seems like the best route for some quality and brightness.If finances weren't limited I could come up with a better plan.

Thanks in advance,,

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    As a helmet light the Duo seems like a better choice due to size and weight. Or, you might consider the Olympia for the higher output (only a few grams heavier than the Duo). The XML-3 and Olympia both have a similar 3 XML configuration, What's actually brighter (XML3 or Duo), heck, I don't know. I do know the Olympia is brighter than the Duo because I own both.

I've mentioned this in other threads. You can piece together a light-system and save a few bucks on things that come in the package, like the headstrap ($20). A Duo, battery, charger and extension should run about $216 from Action-Led. Add about $25 for an Olympia. Knock off $15 for a non-hard coated battery (same capacity).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It sounds like if you could only have one, that the duo would be sufficient. I like the size of it, but will most likely be using it for several years. I could not locate any shots of the beam on the duo to help me decide, do you know of any? Thanks for the good input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you're going to ride with one light, be sure to leave room in your budget for a flashlight as backup light should you have a failure. Not a lot of fun being a few miles from the trailhead with no light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I found the beams on the Gemini website.

Thats a great tip about the spare light. Thanks.

Go Bruins!
    Can't say much about the other light , but the Dinotte is a high quality
    light that is made in the USA. I've had mine for about a year now as a
    helmet only light and it is bright enough with enough burn time for all
    of my needs on tight single track and at high speed.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the input. Now I'm also considering the gloworm x2, the threads that I've read have folks raving about them and the compactness of the x2 and the duo when factored in with all the buzz make both of them very appealing.

mtbr member
    I own the Dinotte XML-3, XML-1 and 400Ls. They are all great lights. What handlebar light are you matching with this helmet light?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It will probably be a stand alone light,I may not be able to get a handlebar light until next season for the $ that I can spend.

mtbr member
    I have the XML-3. It's plenty bright. Dinotte design, quality, and customer service are great; no complaints.

I ride with an XML-3 on the handlebars and a Gemini Xera flashlight zip-tied to my helmet, both usually set to medium. The XML-3 is nice and floody and the Xera flashlight has decent beam throw with the narrow beam optic and the weight is barely noticable on the helmet. It's a nice bar/helmet combo when you are ready to move to a two light setup.

mtbr member
    Why not go with a lower lumen/cheaper light, but have 2 of them. Dinotte has a package deal for 2 XML-1 lights that would be plenty of light for most people. The lights are rated 400 lumens each, but mtbr has them measured at 51 lux. That would give you almost the same light as the XML-3, but from 2 different angles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the input, if I was in an area where I was actually check out these lights it would be easier to make a decision. The shared info is greatly appreciated, the feedback on all 3 of the lights that I,ve mentioned is very good, the size & possible edge on throw & brightness of the duo and x2 over the xml-3 is more appealing as a helmet light, but I suspect the quality & longevity of the xml-3 could possibly have an edge there,but the warranties on each are 2 years, or thats true on the duo & x2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ive had myself an dinotte xml 3 for a year now got it shipped over to the UK.i have just ordered the xml 1 to go with it .if ive got a problem with mine I would have to ship back. That should tell you something about the quality and trust I have in dinotte cannot fault mine at all .

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It seems like those who own the Dinotte lights are very high on the quality and performance. The appeal of the gloworm size and remote along with the brightness plus the fan base as expressed in other threads is also compelling. I did not look at two of the xm1's as suggested earlier, but that is worth looking into, I did order the X2, but if I don't like what I get, it will be sent back. Your input is appreciated and hopefully will give others some insight also.