GMM
    mtbr member

Dinotte XML-3 Rubber Mount Question

I am considering picking up a Dinotte XML-3 or a Niterider Pro 1500 Race for use on my bars. I already have an Exposure Diablo that I will continue to use as my helmet light.

Both lights look like great with bright beam patterns and enough flood. Regarding the Dinotte XML-3, my biggest concern is the rubber style mount. I'm curious to know how secure the light would be offroad, particularly on more bumpy/rocky terrain. I'm sure it would be fine on smooth fire roads, but it seems like it might be susceptible to bouncing around a bit in the rough. If you have any insight, please chime in.

mtbr member
    I usually use the xml3 on my helmet, but the one time I used it on the bar, it did fine. The rubber is very tacky, and grabs really well. The helmet mount basically simulates wrapping around a handle bar, and I've never noticed it moving there either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Baja Design Mounts?

Like yourself, I've never been a fan of either o-ring or fettucini style rubber mounts or fasteners. Some are made better than others however. In torrential downpours combined with hot ambient temperature, I've found that they do not remain secure though, especially if the terrain is anything other than smooth.

Now I don't have a Dinotte XML3 or their 1200 Plus light engine to experiment with but I myself have been wondering if they will work in tandem with Baja Design's new Doubl Stryk bar mount or their Stryker SL Helmet mount. I have both mounts currently and can say they are extremely well thought out and very secure.

Perhaps someone with access to both or has tried cross combining these products can chime in...

GMM
    mtbr member
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just received an XML3 on Wednesday and used it on our normal 2+ hour night ride. The ride has plenty of bumps and I did not notice any slippage. The beam pattern is better than the MagicShine it replaced, and the power button does not have an annoying green glow when the light is off.

nocturnal oblivion

Flex, not slippage.

Rode a trail called 'Rough-Go' last night, it throws a ton of chatter at you. I have the XML3 on the bars and it didn't flex/bounce with the chatter and bumps. At first I thought it was flopping a tad in a particularly nasty section, but I think it was just the bike movement alone and not the light head/mount as well.
    I also have the strap minimally tightened, it has some stretch to it so you can really strap it in tight to the next hole.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Long Live the Gorn!
    I ride every week at night on our local trail STT / Luge it has some pretty rough sections (to me), never have a problem.

This whole vid covers the trail... (not mine)
    MTB - The Luge at Cook's Corner in California - SoCal - Orange County - YouTube!

The Luge is Minutes ~ 2:00-7:30but check out 2:00, 5:00 - 6:00 - 7:00 or so, I ride that at night with a XML-3 on the bar and a XML -1 on the helmet and do just fine. Probably riding about the same speed ...maybe a bit faster than those guys.

The lights stay where I want them. Actually the bar mount seems very secure to me, I pull the strap pretty tight.

I was a bit worried about the helmet mount for the XML-1 but it seems ok too, but if I had my druther it (XML-1 helmet mount) would be a bit more secure, but your head doesn't bounce around as much..so its not a problem.

Actually rode it this week on a hardtail too..no prob.

I really like the combo...
    Last edited by bvader; 01-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Perfects, thanks for the additional feedback. I am going to pull the trigger on an XML-3.

nocturnal oblivion
    A very nice, even flood with no hotspots and good throw. I'm really impressed by mine so far. (Previously ran two 400Ls on the bars).
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No issues with the mount. The XML-3 is an awesome light!