The Road Warrior

DInotte Tail Lights: Which one to get? Want BRIGHTNESS!

I'd prefer to not get into the semantics of drivers vs. tail lights. Instead, all that I'll say is that I want a really bright tail light. I see that Dinotte has some of the best and brightest tail lights going, but the question for me is which one to get?
    How bright are the following, really??
    300R, 140R, 400R

Any other companies on par with dinotte? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've got a Dinotte 400 that I've never used. I'm in Roseville, just off 80 if you're ever passing by and want to give it a try, I'd be willing to loan it. That is if you're still in Reno.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapped (o) Hole
    I've got a Dinotte 400 that I've never used. I'm in Roseville, just off 80 if you're ever passing by and want to give it a try, I'd be willing to loan it. That is if you're still in Reno.
    Ahh man, I just moved from Rocklin to Los Angeles this summer. I lived off of Blue Oaks and Sunset... miss the place a lot. I used to do a lot of road riding up there... would go out 12 bridges, english colony, auburn, folsom auburn, AR bike trail. Too bad I'm not still there. The traffic here is gnarly. I just got in from a ride, up around Mulholland. Cars and more cars, but good times. Thanks for the offer to try it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 400R is incredibly bright. It's so bright that on a dark road at night, you don't look like a bike you look like a big red bloom of light. It's not until they slow down and come alongside that they see you are a bike.

That said, the new one they have out that charges with a USB port and has no external battery is like a 75% of the 400R". Would be a lot more convenient to use and is just about as bright. That's a LOT of light. I also have the 140 tail light and that thing is also much brighter than anything out there.

If I had it to do it today, I'd go for the 300R for the convenience of it. I don't think you are losing much if anything and gaining a lot in convenience.

J.

nocturnal oblivion
    I have 2 Dinotte 400L headlights, my Magicshine 900 I converted to taillight by putting colored tape over the glass. It is still VERY bright, of course I can't compare it to the real deal taillights. But I'd imagine it's comparable. The helmet mount fits upside down under the seat rails, mounts up easily.
    I initially ran it without the colored tape and was pissing off a lot of drivers, with the tape I had a guy pull me over to ask where I got it.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Slow But Still Pedaling
    I have a 140 and it's plenty bright IMHO - you can't miss it, it's visible from a long distance away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The magic shine tail lights are also very bright and pretty cheap. I run a few on my bike and one on the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The nice thing about the 400R is three brightness settings. It was overcast here today when I rode down a fairly busy road. Had the 400 on high. People moved clear over to the left lane. Nighttime, I almost always use the medium setting. I've got my light pointed down somewhat so not to blind anyone, yet it can still be seen from a long distance. The 400R is worth the money imo.

The Road Warrior
    They make it in a quick release, too. I couldn't pass it up. Ordered it through DiNotte direct. With a free extra set of seat clamps. I've got 3 bikes, so this'll be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm late to the party, but if anyone's interested, here's a review on the 300R (the self-contained one):

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...cs-amp-remarks

Overall, I like mine pretty well. A self-contained version of the 140 would be sweet too.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed
    I'd prefer to not get into the semantics of drivers vs. tail lights. Instead, all that I'll say is that I want a really bright tail light. I see that Dinotte has some of the best and brightest tail lights going, but the question for me is which one to get?
    How bright are the following, really??
    300R, 140R, 400R

Any other companies on par with dinotte? Thanks
    Did you get a light sorted ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hope also have a high power tail light called the "District 3". It's got 3 red XPE's and looks like it could be a competitor for Dinotte lumen wise, & their equal if not better when it comes to build quality.
    Has anyone any experience with this light?

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG239

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think Dinotte's approach in the 300L is where this stuff is going in the future. I have a 140L and a 400L and I'm hoping that this fall they come out with a more powerful self contained unit.

As batteries start to hold higher capacity in smaller volumes and as LEDs get to higher and higher efficiencies, the day of a very bright taillight self contained are here with the 300L - pretty much the first in that class of light. Getting rid of tethered batteries for taillights is going to be a really good thing.

The 140, 400 have been in a class to themselves for a number of years now. The 300L is like a whole new category. High power tail lights are just a huge safety piece.

J.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is the 300L battery user serviceable? I would want to be able to replace it when the battery performance degrades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I believe it is. That's what the screws are all about. I'm not exactly sure how to do it but that was basically the conversation I had with Dinotte last fall when this came out.

J.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    LandSpeed, check out this one as well. It's a triple XPE tail light running at 1 amp. Don't know if it's brighter than Dinotte or not.
    I checked out that Hope tail light a bit more, & it only has about 80 lumens, so not really in the ball park. But still a nice tail light.
    Also, look at the post from mhahn@hvc.rr.com in the mtbr link. His diy SST-90 tail light could possibly be the brightest ever!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...LED-tail-light

K-lite RED rear LED tail light