mtbr member

Dinotte Tail Light - 2 cell or 4 cell pack ?

So i'm really liking the idea of picking up a Daytime Red 400R. I would use it in parallel with my regular 400R. I have a 2 cell battery on my 400R, but for the Daytime Red i'm not sure if i should get a 2 cell or a 4 cell ?

The mode i use almost exclusively is "steady with pulse burst" which is rated at 6 hours on the 2 cell for both regular 400R and the Daytime Red. i specifically asked Dinotte to confirm that in fact Daytime Red gets the same run time and they said yes - they said that extra output in Daytime Red comes from increase in efficiency.

by comparison the 4 cell is rated for 12 hours on "steady with pulse burst"

my last 2 rides at night were 3 hours, so 6 hours from 2 cells should be enough for me ... but would you go with 4 cells anyway ?

do you have any thoughts on this ?

PS: Dinotte always messes up their specs - all the specs on the page have changed since i looked at them a few weeks ago, so i would take them with a grain of salt, but here is the page:

DAYTIME RED Taillight - 400+ Lumens seat post, seat stay, chain stay or rack mount ? DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2 cell for me. But... If you want longer between chargers then 4 cell. However... Lol with all the different lights you have and batteries/runtimes you probably will charge all lights at the same time so you don't have to constantly remember when the last time it was that you charged xyz light. So 2 so that it matches the other taillight and you charge them both at the same time.

Or get 4 cell and a y cable and run them both off 1 battery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    2 cell for me. But... If you want longer between chargers then 4 cell. However... Lol with all the different lights you have and batteries/runtimes you probably will charge all lights at the same time so you don't have to constantly remember when the last time it was that you charged xyz light. So 2 so that it matches the other taillight and you charge them both at the same time.

Or get 4 cell and a y cable and run them both off 1 battery.
    you are right - i charge all the lights after every ride, except ones that run on AA / AAA batteries, which i charge less often because they are lower output / longer run time and also because they must be physically removed to charge them.

i can't run both dinottes from same battery because one will be on the bike and one on me. so i need one battery on the frame and one in hydration pack. besides, i already have one 2 cell dinotte battery, so to run both lights from a new 4 cell would mean my existing 2 cell would be wasted.

i'm very lazy, but not so lazy as to have an issue charging batteries after every ride. i charge my phone 10 times a day even though it has 2 days of battery life. that's part of my anal retentive personality.

if i'm spending the whole day at home with the phone sitting right next to the charger i might let it drop to 85% before plugging it in. but if i'm in the car i will plug the phone in the charger even if it still has 97% charger, just in case

some people judge based on how clean your shave is or how polished your shoes are. i judge people on how charged their phone is if i glance at your phone and it has 20% charge left it is a sure bet that we don't have the same personality type