Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71

    Dinotte Lights over long haul

    All,

    My old NiteRider FlameThrower HID (about 6 years old) that I use on the bars, is on it's way to giving up the ghost, so I am looking to replace it. I also have a NiteRider Storm HID for the helmet that is about the same age that is still working well.

    Currently I am down to the NiteRider TriNewt and the Dinotte 800L - maybe the 600L. I would really like to get the Seca 700, but it is a little out of my price range. I am not fond of the TriNewt having the button on the battery since it will make battery replacement more expensive. The TriNewt does have a better run time than the 800L, but for longer rides I am hoping the medium setting (5 hours) will work. In talking to Rob at Dinotte, I think the 800L will serve my needs better. My question is has anyone had the 600L for 2 or 3 years (not sure when it came out) and how has it held up - the 800L has only been out a couple of months? Have you had any repairs, issues?

    Thanks.

    John B.

  2. #2
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    I had the 600 for almost a year with no issues at all; I wouldn't expect to have issues with DiNottte, is a very good product and is LED technology so forget unreliability issues

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    293
    A friend had his 600L burn out one led within 3 month. Dinotte sent another one out next day free of charge, but you do have to give them your Cc number, in case you don't return the broken one. How is that for service? I think they are 2 year warrenty. more then anyone out there.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,878
    We got some of the original Ultra-5's going through their 3rd winter (or is it 4th...), and they have been solid. Recently, the snap connectors on mine started to wear out (I was using them every day for commuting, plus trail rides), and Rob replaced them. We had a few issues with the switch on the early 200Ls, but Rob fixed those right away.

    Nothing is perfect, but the DiNottes are a solid design, backed up with great CS, which is probably more important.

    I have not used their multi-LED units.

    The only issue with LEDs is that they are advancing at a rapid rate, and a 2-year old unit has outdated LEDs. For instance, the current 200Ls are significantly brighter than my old Ultra-5, and use significantly less power. DiNotte is one of the few companies that have offered an upgrade path for thier oldest units.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they have a solid product, and when there are issues they are good about resolving them. I am just concerned that they are a newer company and with LEDs being a new technology, I wanted to make sure the electronics lasted. I have had my HIDs for six years, so I would like to repeat that trend. I like the upgrade policy several people have mentioned in the forums - that is a definite plus.

    Thanks.

    John B.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    Pulled the trigger today on the 800L/400L combo. From everything I read it is the best bang for the buck and should serve my needs well. JP and Rob very helpful and put up with my barrage of questions.

    John B.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    I have used the 800L on the bars for a couple of rides now and the 400 on the helmet for one ride. The 800L even on medium is pretty bright and on high is very bright.
    I did a test the other night at a local riding place and I determined that the 800 on high is brighter than my 6 year old Niterider HID (Flamethrower??) I was using for the bars, which I used to think was very bright. I have not made up my mind about the 400 yet, since I am thinking it is not as bright as my 6 year old Niterider HID (not sure of make) for my helmet, but I am not sure I have it aimed correctly - it always takes me a couple of rides to get the helmet light aimed right.

    The 800L/400L package only comes with one extension cable which you will need for the 800, but they threw in an extra cable since I ordered the bigger battery for the 400L light. I think it is a better idea to have the battery in the pack no matter what size you get - the light is enough stuff on the helmet and it is one less thing to get wacked or stuck on an overhanging branch.

    Ok now for the things I don't like - the helmet mount for the 400L is not a quick release, but it is easy to take off and on. Problem is I have to play with it for a couple of rides to get the thing mounted right. At this point I am using an old helmet until I am done playing, then if I decide to use it in place of my HID I am now using for my helmet, I will use a Sharpie to mark where it goes so I can get it into the same spot. The other thing is the wires are a little stiff in the cold (I know - picky) - my Nightrider cables were thicker and were very flexable even in 15F weather.

    John B.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Hey John,

    What do you think of the beam pattern of the 400L? Will it be sufficient as a helmet only light? I am coming off a 15w halogen helmet only, light as of late, used to run 25w halogen on bars as well, but got tired of all the wires and batteries to finagle with even though I sacrificed light.

    Thanks,

    JG
    Ride On!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    I have only used the 400L once and I liked the beam pattern, but I prefer to use a helmet and bar light, so at this point I can't make a call on just using it without a bar light. I would think it would be brighter than the 15w halogen, but I am not sure since I am coming off of using HIDs for many years. I have trouble with depth perception when only using a helmet light and if it is raining, snowing, or really dusty, the helmet light for me is not as useful since the precip or the dust is right at eye level.

    I will try and comment more once I have used it more.

    John B.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey John,

    What do you think of the beam pattern of the 400L? Will it be sufficient as a helmet only light? I am coming off a 15w halogen helmet only, light as of late, used to run 25w halogen on bars as well, but got tired of all the wires and batteries to finagle with even though I sacrificed light.

    Thanks,

    JG

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks, that makes sense with the dust, snow and what not due to light being near eye level.

    I have pretty good vision and like to see how fast I can blast into the dark while descending on my 36lb AM/FR bike with the minimal amount of light. I don't want to have too much light or illumination, it would take away from the excitement of blasting into the dark turns at speed.
    Ride On!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    JG,

    During my ride tonight, I turned off my 800L on the bars and just used the 400L to play with where it sits on the helmet, plus I was curious how it would work by itself. If you are used to Halogen, I think it would be bright enough, but I would want something brighter and something that fills out more. I want to play some more, but I am wondering if I should move up to the 600 on the helmet or switch out the lenses on the 400 for a wider beam. I am just wondering how the throw will be if I switch to the lenses that are more flood like.

    John B.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey John,

    What do you think of the beam pattern of the 400L? Will it be sufficient as a helmet only light? I am coming off a 15w halogen helmet only, light as of late, used to run 25w halogen on bars as well, but got tired of all the wires and batteries to finagle with even though I sacrificed light.

    Thanks,

    JG

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks JB,

    I actually just bought the light from Dinotte today, they even already shipped it!

    You might want to try a spot and flood lens on together instead of the standard lenses like Eddie suggested in another thread. I ordered the additional lenses only for an extra $10 just in case I don't like the standard lenses for some reason. I actually liked the beam patterns from shots taken of the standard lenses compared to spot/spot and spot/flood on this site if you want to check out to see what you like the best.

    http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/sea...400L+beamshots

    Thanks again

    JG
    Ride On!

  13. #13
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,851
    I've been running a 600L for about a year and it's been extremely durable. It's been knocked off my helmet a couple of times when I did not duck quite far enough under tree branches. No worse for the wear - still running strong. I also commute to work using my 600L, and I love the fact that it came with two batteries that I can rotate and always have one with a full charge.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    14
    My buddie and I bought the 800/ 400 setup with the 2 cell for the 400 and 4 cell for the 800about 2 weeks ago, we also got the lens kit for the 400 you should definately check it out, I think it will give you what your looking for! As for burn times I think what they have in there manuals are a little conservative we have been doing 2 1/2- 3 hr rides and the batteries haven't burned out yet... and after the rides I have left them on to see how long the would stay on for and they have been on for at least another hour or so...

    Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    JG,

    During my ride tonight, I turned off my 800L on the bars and just used the 400L to play with where it sits on the helmet, plus I was curious how it would work by itself. If you are used to Halogen, I think it would be bright enough, but I would want something brighter and something that fills out more. I want to play some more, but I am wondering if I should move up to the 600 on the helmet or switch out the lenses on the 400 for a wider beam. I am just wondering how the throw will be if I switch to the lenses that are more flood like.

    John B.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    Thanks. I did have one pretty good accident the other day with them on and they held up.

    John B.

    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I've been running a 600L for about a year and it's been extremely durable. It's been knocked off my helmet a couple of times when I did not duck quite far enough under tree branches. No worse for the wear - still running strong. I also commute to work using my 600L, and I love the fact that it came with two batteries that I can rotate and always have one with a full charge.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    Thanks for the input.

    I want to try it at least one more time before ordering the lens kit, but I may be heading that way. I finally figured out that the light head can be tilted up and down (DOH!), so I repositioned it and adjusted the light once more. I played with it in the yard (haven't had a chance to do another night ride) and it appears that the 400L puts a narrower beam but goes further and is brighter than my 6 year old HID. I want to try it this week on one or two night rides to see how it works. I am thinking it might actually be better being able to see further with the helmet light rather than having a wider beam and a shorter throw distance.

    John B.

    Quote Originally Posted by JSG61169
    My buddie and I bought the 800/ 400 setup with the 2 cell for the 400 and 4 cell for the 800about 2 weeks ago, we also got the lens kit for the 400 you should definately check it out, I think it will give you what your looking for! As for burn times I think what they have in there manuals are a little conservative we have been doing 2 1/2- 3 hr rides and the batteries haven't burned out yet... and after the rides I have left them on to see how long the would stay on for and they have been on for at least another hour or so...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    14
    Definately try the lense kit it has different lenses to give you floods and a full on spray I like using one of the spots and a flood on my setup, while my my friend opted for the 2 different spot lenses i think the lights are plenty bright enough you just need to find which lens works best for your riding style
    good luck in your decision
    Jason

    Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    JG,

    During my ride tonight, I turned off my 800L on the bars and just used the 400L to play with where it sits on the helmet, plus I was curious how it would work by itself. If you are used to Halogen, I think it would be bright enough, but I would want something brighter and something that fills out more. I want to play some more, but I am wondering if I should move up to the 600 on the helmet or switch out the lenses on the 400 for a wider beam. I am just wondering how the throw will be if I switch to the lenses that are more flood like.

    John B.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iClique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    599
    I just bought my Dinotte 600L. Great deal at REI at 20% off I got it for just over $320!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    I just bought my Dinotte 600L. Great deal at REI at 20% off I got it for just over $320!
    I bought the 400L/800L deal for $449. then sold the 400L for $180. buy the $15 li-ion charger from batteryspace.com. total unit cost for the 800L is $295 with only one battery and charger. I can get the second battery from batteryspace.com for $25. nothing beat the dinotte build quality and great circuit design inside. compare it to the seca 700, niteflux photon max, trinewt, and niterider HID. Dinotte has all of them beat, except the seca 700 and trinewt have the better beam pattern.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    Just out of curiosity, how did you know which battery and charger to buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by eddielee70
    I bought the 400L/800L deal for $449. then sold the 400L for $180. buy the $15 li-ion charger from batteryspace.com. total unit cost for the 800L is $295 with only one battery and charger. I can get the second battery from batteryspace.com for $25. nothing beat the dinotte build quality and great circuit design inside. compare it to the seca 700, niteflux photon max, trinewt, and niterider HID. Dinotte has all of them beat, except the seca 700 and trinewt have the better beam pattern.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    71
    I tested the light last night with the latest adjustments, and it is much better - I think I finally got it. It is definately a narrower beam than my old HID, but it throws further. Not quite sure, but the distance vs width tradeoff might be a good thing since I can see further down the trail. I think eventually I will order the optional lens kit as JSG61169 suggested - maybe ask for it for Christmas - so I can try that and see the difference. I want to wait until I can afford to get another 4 cell battery and charger to order the kit. This light is definately brighter than my old HID. I am very happy with the 400L/800L combo.

    John B.
    Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    ....

    I want to try it at least one more time before ordering the lens kit, but I may be heading that way. I finally figured out that the light head can be tilted up and down (DOH!), so I repositioned it and adjusted the light once more. I played with it in the yard (haven't had a chance to do another night ride) and it appears that the 400L puts a narrower beam but goes further and is brighter than my 6 year old HID. I want to try it this week on one or two night rides to see how it works. I am thinking it might actually be better being able to see further with the helmet light rather than having a wider beam and a shorter throw distance.

    John B.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    I tested the light last night with the latest adjustments, and it is much better - I think I finally got it. It is definately a narrower beam than my old HID, but it throws further. Not quite sure, but the distance vs width tradeoff might be a good thing since I can see further down the trail. I think eventually I will order the optional lens kit as JSG61169 suggested - maybe ask for it for Christmas - so I can try that and see the difference. I want to wait until I can afford to get another 4 cell battery and charger to order the kit. This light is definately brighter than my old HID. I am very happy with the 400L/800L combo.

    John B.
    measure the dinotte battery and calculate the runtime vs voltage to get 4500mah 7.2v li-ion battery that they use.

    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1256

    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3217

    don't worry about the $20 extra charge. it's for li-po battery. not li-ion.

    you have to get this y connector 2 6" female and one 6" male $14 from dinotte. so you can solder the connection to the $25 2A discharge circuit with drainage protection battery. and if you want around 7 hours on high on the 800L or 14 hour on the 400L. get three $25 battery to add to this connector.
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2243

    $25 battery is 15% less capacity then dinotte's 4 cell battery.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    268
    Ah, interesting information about the batteries, thanks!

    I have had the 600L for 2-3 years, and have never had problems with it or the batteries. In fact, I had this light when they had the original cloth bags, and I contacted Rob when they introduced the new molded battery packs, and he said I could ship them back, and get the new batteries (this was before the battery recall).

    My 600L replaced a Light & Motion Arc HID, and I thought they were comparable. Their beam patterns were slightly different, but I liked the whiter light from the 600L.

    I just sent in a 140L tail light for the battery recall, and decided to trade it in for a 400L (had to pay more, but who gives you trade-in?). So instead of using the 600L on the helmet, it will go to the bars, and my 400L on the helmet.

    In my opinion, they have some of the best customer service around. They even have really good sales on light engines once in a while.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •