mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Dinotte batteries or new Xeccon or lumina 650?

Dear List,

A lot has changed since I purchased my DiNotte 400L head and bar lights about 5 years ago. I really do love them, great durability, just about bright enough, light weight, made in the USA, GREAT customer service! It's time for something new for me, I think....

Its now the end of 2012 and I am faced with a few options. I ride Cross Country mtb on single tracks and fire roads at night and I looking at something new. I would like something brighter than the DiNotte 400L but I don't really need something brighter.

Option #1 keep my DiNotte lights and buy new batteries and charger, the batteries don't hold enough of a charge for a 3-4 hour ride at full power. Price +- $130

Option #2 purchase 2 Lumina 650s, one for the bar and one for the helmet. Even on amazon that's about $230. They are simple, no cords, more powerful.

Option #3 Xeccon lights. They have been reviewed here recently. Maybe 2 S12s or the S12 U2 + Spiker 1210 kit. I don't really need a ton of light but I wonder about the S12 on the bar, if it is wide enough. 2 QTY S12 is +- $160 or S12 U2 + Spiker 1210 is +- $245

I have thought about spending more on a Lupine or something else but I Don't do night races or ride for more than 4 hours. I don't have a shop hook up so I will pay full retail.

I have read a lot or reviews and I would like YOUR thoughts please

mtbr member
    Gloworm and Gemini are also decent options in that price range

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Lumina 650 is nice but only 1.5 hours runtime on high. The Dinotte 400L on a 4 cell battery will get you the 4 hours you're after. I can't comment on the other lights because I've never used them or owned them.

With that said, I've been running a Cygolite Mitycross 400 on my lid for a couple of years and a Centauri 1000 on the bars and have really enjoyed the combination of runtime and size they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaKen View Post
    Dear List,

Option #1 keep my DiNotte lights and buy new batteries and charger, the batteries don't hold enough of a charge for a 3-4 hour ride at full power. Price +- $130

Option #2 purchase 2 Lumina 650s, one for the bar and one for the helmet. Even on amazon that's about $230. They are simple, no cords, more powerful.

Option #3 Xeccon lights. They have been reviewed here recently. Maybe 2 S12s or the S12 U2 + Spiker 1210 kit. I don't really need a ton of light but I wonder about the S12 on the bar, if it is wide enough. 2 QTY S12 is +- $160 or S12 U2 + Spiker 1210 is +- $245

I have thought about spending more on a Lupine or something else but I Don't do night races or ride for more than 4 hours. I don't have a shop hook up so I will pay full retail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaKen View Post
    For the bars I would look for a double or triple XM-L set-up ( or mult-Xpg ). There are lots of options right now suitable to meeting your needs. I know you said you, "Dont need more light" but if your buying something new you might as well accept the fact that "What ever you buy will likely be brighter". As for run time, any multi-emitter lamp you get should run for over 4 hours when on the mid-range output levels. If I run my Gloworm X2 at 500 lumen*I have no doubt it will run over 5hrs with a 4-cell 5200mAh battery (* though I've not tested it ).

As for helmet options, it looks like you're leaning toward going "wireless and self-contained". I have no idea how well the new NiteRider Lumina 650 works but the previous versions were well liked and yes it is a nice looking lamp. It could work on the helmet. I recommend giving one a test spin. Best way to do that is to buy one from an REI store where they have a guaranteed "no limit, no questions asked return policy". If you're not satisfied just bring it back. Run time should not be an issue as long as you can replace the battery in the field.

Don't forget that other options exist though for the helmet. Any number of lamps ( ie...Gemini Xera, Xeccon S-12, Magicshine 808E ) can be run with a two cell battery and mounted to the helmet ( just like your 400L ) and likely put out more light ( on high ).

Last but not least don't forget about DiNotte. If you were to trade your lamps in they will probably offer you a discount towards any one ( or combo ) light sets.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-30-2012 at 01:39 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Muppet, King and Cat-- thanks for your comments. It only added to the level of complexity. I never knew about the glow worm, that seems like a heck of a bar light at about $209.00 WOW! I love the idea of the Lumina but at 1.5 hours on hi, its just not enough.

I also see that the Xeccon S12 US seems like a very strong winner in terms of a helmet light. That will put me about $290 for a brand new set up. I see the sale on on the S12 is good for another 2 weeks. Glow worm was possibly hinting about a new helmet light, but I think that it won't be around $100. The S12 seems very hard to beat. I would like to support DiNotte and trade in my lights but I don't have my box currently and it might be an option for later or maybe just sell my kit cheap to a friend.

At the moment I am leaning towards the glowworm for the bars and the S12 for the helmet.

Ken

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I pulled the trigger and ordered the Gemini Duo. Lets see what happens