mtbr member

Dinotte 800L strange behavior

I've had my 800L for over a year now and on my ride Saturday night something new and strange happened. Normally my night rides are short so I just run it on high but since I have a race coming up I wanted to get used to a little less light so I ran it on the medium setting. After an hour or so I was behind somebody with less light so I kicked it up to high. After a couple of minutes the light strobed for a half second or so and the left blue light on the lighthead went dark. Going to medium or low the left light would eventually return. Going back to high would repeat the strobe and left light going out.

I assume this is some sort of battery level indication, but what does it mean exactly?

mtbr member
    I would say your battery is getting weak and can't maintain the proper voltage to the light on high so it strobes and shuts off. My 600L with a 3 year old battery does the exact same thing, I plug it into my 1200L and its even worse. It might be time to buy a new battery.

mtbr member
    It strobes but the light doesn't shut off, just one of the indicators on the back of the lighthead. I suspect it's a battery level indication but I just don't know what exactly it's indicating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Call Rob at DiNotte and get quick, accurate answer.

mtbr member
    Just wondering....Is is getting cool out on those night rides in the hills of Indiana? If so this also has an effect on your batteries. Cold temperatures have an effect on the internal resistance of the battery. The additional voltage drop sensed by the driver circuits makes the driver think that the battery is low, hence the strobe and power down. I own a 600L, same thing. I can only imagine that the more LED's you have the more this is likely to happen when it's cold. Oh yeah, the colder, the worse it gets. Isolating the battery helps for a while but if its real cold it's pretty much a moot point as the wire going into the battery acts as a heat sink. But...as others have said, your battery might not be fully charged. Being cold just makes it worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1
    It strobes but the light doesn't shut off, just one of the indicators on the back of the lighthead. I suspect it's a battery level indication but I just don't know what exactly it's indicating.
    I plugged my 600L into a fresh battery and intentionally overheated it to see how it would react. After 40 minutes with no air flow it strobed once and the lights went out but the buttons on the back were still blue. After a couple of minutes I was able to hit one of the buttons and it lighted back up on high and ran fine for the remainder. I then plugged the 1200L into a low/bad battery and it would run for 2 minutes on high then strobe, buttons turned red and it kicked itself into low mode which it ran for 10 minutes until it strobed again and then shut off with a illuminated red button.

I couldn't replicate the issue that you are having but I do have one suggestion, if you have access to a voltmeter you should check the voltage of your battery pack. A fully charged pack should read around 8.4 volts and a fully drained pack usually measures 6.0 volts or slightly above. I recommend that you fully charge your battery and then run it on high with the 800L until you get this strobe issue then check the voltage. If you're seeing voltage on the lower end of the spectrum then your battery isn't performing up to par and needs to be replaced, if the voltage looks good then you may consider sending the light and battery to Dinotte for inspection, like others have said give them a call. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I have had this issue on 800L and 1200L

Just wanted to add that I have this issue also, both on an 800L that I upgraded to a 1200L, and also on the 1200L. On the 1200L, the stobe + red light happens after about 45min on high with a fully charged battery. It will continue to run fine on high for a full 2 hours or more. I have corresponded with Rob and he sent me new batteries, a new charger, and a new light unit - this was ~ a year ago when it started. But it still happens and I have just lived with it since then as it is an annoyance rather than a functional problem. But it is a bit of a tarnish on Dinotte's otherwise stellar reputation. Also noticed they are no longer offering the old 1200L, only the new dual quad version now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have some older batteries, an older charger and a 1200L (plus a 600L, 400L). The older batteries did that until I got the new charger. I think it tops the battery off better. You get the strobe effect when the battery is heading for the end of it's capacity. They do that so you see it.

J.

mtbr member
    I've ridden twice since my first experience with the strobe. The first ride was in warmer weather (temps were in the 60s) and I had zero problems. Used my lights in a 12 hour race Saturday (low 50s) and not 8 minutes into my lap the dang thing strobed. I ended up running it on medium for my two laps and it held up, but I'm starting to suspect that temperature might be playing a part in this.

Now that I have more information it's time to give them a call.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    50 F shouldn't have a noticeable effect. Have you talked to DiNotte yet?

mtbr member
    Spoke to Rob today. I'm going to try some dielectric grease in the connectors, but it sounds like I might not have stored my battery properly (didn't maintain it over the winter) and I might've caused some harm to it.