mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Dinotte 800L/400L Owners...

...I have a set of the 800L/400L and the 800L is great. I find that it's so bright that it washes out the 400L beam unless I put the 800L on the medium setting. Even so, the 400L doesn't seem bright enough. I tried switching out one of the two spot lenses with the medium-flood lens and it's somewhat better, but I'd still like it to be brighter.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just trippin'? Any thoughts appreciated.

Dual Squishy...
    I have a 400L and a Jet Lite Blast (680 Lumen) and if pointed at the same location, the 400L is washed out. What I did was to angle the 400L lower to point about 6' in front of my front tire, and angled the helmet mounted Blast to point further down the trail.

What this does is give me detailed lighting to what is right in front of me, and the periferral light spilling off the Blast add depth while lighting the trail further ahead. Works great and I have yet to have any problems even at reasonable speeds...

GeoMan
    Good point.

I ride with another brand (two lights) and end up with the less bright one (a Lupine Tesla @ 700 lumens) on my helmet pointed just above the "mega-blaster" Betty (1,500 lumens) that I use on the bar. If I point them in the same spot, the Tesla gets overpowered but in tandem they are incredibly effective and the Tesla allows me to "look" around corners when I turn my head. You might try the same approach. Works great.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    ...I have a set of the 800L/400L and the 800L is great. I find that it's so bright that it washes out the 400L beam unless I put the 800L on the medium setting. Even so, the 400L doesn't seem bright enough. I tried switching out one of the two spot lenses with the medium-flood lens and it's somewhat better, but I'd still like it to be brighter.

Has anyone else had this experience or am I just trippin'? Any thoughts appreciated.

Well... ...you didn't say how you were using the lights ( bar/helmet) so I'll assume you are using the 800L on the bars. If this is how you are using them then it doesn't surprise me that the 400L is getting over powered by the 800. I've always believed that the helmet light should be brighter than the bar light. Still your 800/400 combo should work fine for most terrain. With the lights I use I generally ride with 600lm on the bars and 500lm on the helmet. I have the option though of switching to 900lm on the helmet for faster stuff which does come in handy. If I had your combo I would probably ride with the 800L at mid-level (500lm) (bars) and the 400L at full power ( dual-spot optics ) most of the time and save the higher output of the 800L only when I need it. No, I don't think you're trippin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LowLow,

I have this setup and yes the 400L as a helmet light is overpowered by the brightness of the 800L as a bar light, but I use it mostly for when I turn my head to see, and to see beyond the 800L bar light. The 400L projects beyond the distance of the 800L if aimed right, which allows me to see further.

The 400L took some getting used to since I came off an old HID system for both the bars and helmet. While they are not as bright as modern day HIDs, the beam was wider on the old HID helmet light than the 400L, but the 400L projects further than the old HID. I bought the lenses to make the one side of the 400L wider, but I have not installed it yet.

John B.