mtbr member

Dinotte 400R + 400R Daytime Red ?

would it make any sense to have both a 400R and a 400R Daytime Red on the same bike ?

i feel ridiculously conspicuous at night but i don't think anybody really sees me during the day. i don't even think a 400R Daytime Red would help much with this, but it would be something at least. however i already have a regular 400R.

now i'm not sure what to do here. i could obviously do nothing, or i could get a Daytime Red and try to sell my 400R. or i could run both. but Dinotte flash patterns are already good - having two of them run together would only make it worse.

i could also get just the light head ( no charger or battery ) and swap them using the quick release mount - use the daytime version during day, and night time at night - but that way i would only be using half of the lights at any time which is not good economics ?

by the way i just tested the quick release mechanism - it works pretty well. it would take me probably 15 seconds to swap the lights and reconnect them to the battery.

i could try to sell my 400R but then i might really piss people off at night with the Daytime Red ?

what would make more sense ?

is there any direct comparison of 400R to 400R daytime red anywhere online ?

mtbr member
    by the way i'm leaning towards buying the Daytime Red light head ( it saves $54 versus full system with battery and charger ) and swapping the lights using the Quick Release mount so as to use the Daytime Red during the day and regular 400R at night. the battery would stay in place, it's a 2 cell but i think for flashing mode it is enough.

mtbr member
    OK so i tested the lights today 1 hour before sunset. I tested Red Zone 8, 400R and Seca all in flashing mode - to my surprise all 3 were conspicuous ! Even the Red Zone 8 was conspicuous 1 hour before sunset. The Seca only flashes at 400 lumen - it was about equally conspicuous as the 400R. I squinted so i could tell if the light is standing out and it did - 1 hour before sunset both Seca and 400R in flashing mode still "popped" so to speak.

so what does that say about Daytime Red ? i have no idea. it probably says that Daytime Red would still pop 2 hours before sunset. doesn't really say if i should get one or not.

i will say however that the 400R light head is so lightweight that i could easily toss it in the hydration pack and not know its there. it's nothing like the heavy 300R. in other words i could switch from Daytime Red to 400R mid-ride without any problem by simply having the extra light head with me.

what do you think ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So you wouldn't mount them at the same time? From what you describe it doesn't sound that the daytime red is that much more potent over the version you already own. So how much gain do you expect to get above and beyond the setup you already have.

Now... Maybe putting it higher up is the better answer... Maybe replace the RZ8 on the helmet or put it in your camelbak and clip it there. Then you will have lighting at 3 different heights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    So you wouldn't mount them at the same time? From what you describe it doesn't sound that the daytime red is that much more potent over the version you already own. So how much gain do you expect to get above and beyond the setup you already have.

Now... Maybe putting it higher up is the better answer... Maybe replace the RZ8 on the helmet or put it in your camelbak and clip it there. Then you will have lighting at 3 different heights.
    i think the only logical mounting in this case is seatpost, but i could get a few inches between them so if they flash out of synchrony it maybe will appear not as a single solid light but as a light that jumps up and down by a few inches on every flash.

but i agree with you the whole idea appears to be stupid, even to me. i just got so used to being seen at night that yesterday when i had to ride in broad daylight i got a bit paranoid. i think i just need to ride more so it stops bothering me

i will probably have to abandon this idea, unless some new evidence emerges of there being a significant difference between the two lights, because from the shots i have seen it does look pretty similar.

mtbr member
    I don't see what the issue is running the 400R Daytime Red during the night. Its bright, but not that bright. Do you run less than 400 LU in the front at night?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    I don't see what the issue is running the 400R Daytime Red during the night. Its bright, but not that bright. Do you run less than 400 LU in the front at night?
    no, but the front light is different for 2 reasons:

1 - front light hits the oncoming lane so to speak so most people only have to see it for a few seconds

2 - i have the ability to aim all my front lights away from the eyes of drivers etc - the bar light has a cutoff, and the helmet lights i can turn away manually.

a tail light could potentially create a situation when somebody is riding behind me and has it aimed straight in their face for maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

and sometimes if i'm on a narrow one way street and there is a car behind me they can't pass me at all. i had one drunk crackhead get angry already and lay on the horn when he was coming home from partying on saturday night at about 5AM in the morning on sunday. i don't think he was bothered by my light, he was just in a hurry.

for some reason before i got 400R i talked to Dinotte on the phone and they convinced me not to get the Daytime Red.

in particular when i asked which light has wider beam they said regular 400R is wider, and Daytime Red is narrower, but brighter.

by the way i am under the impression that in flashing mode the output cannot be dimmed, right ? i know there are 3 levels in solid mode, but i don't think the solid mode is appropriate for bikes - bikes always use flashing mode so to be recognized as bike i want to use a flashing mode as well, plus it is far more conspicuous. the dimmed solid mode would be good if somebody was riding behind you, but that's about it.