mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Dinotte 400L Dual Headlight Enough Light?

I'm really stock with these tree combos

400L dual $344
    600L and 400L $429
    800L and 400L $449

what i'd like to know is whether the 400L dual is going to be enough light for single tracks and stuffs like that or whether i have to buy something bigger like the other combos

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A dual 200L is fine for singletrack.
    A dual 400L is plenty.
    The 800L-400L combo is sufficient for high-speed downhills on open terrain.
    Put one light on the handlebar and the other light on the helmet. That's it.
    You can't really go wrong with lights in this price range these days.

Dual Squishy...
    You budget really makes the most difference. The 3 set ups you mention above will work fine for Single Track night rides.

If the 800L and 400L combo is in your budget, get it. The more light the better. "radirpok" is correct in that you should toss one on the bar, and one on your helmet.

I run a 680 Lumen HID (Jet Lite) on my helmet and a 400L on my handle bars. Works fantastic!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by samy2222red
    I'm really stock with these tree combos

400L dual $344
    600L and 400L $429
    800L and 400L $449

what i'd like to know is whether the 400L dual is going to be enough light for single tracks and stuffs like that or whether i have to buy something bigger like the other combos
    There is little difference between the 600L and the 400L. I ride with the 600 on the bars and 400L on the helmet. The difference is if you want an easily removable light (600) on the bars or you will put it on for a while (400). The 600 has a quick release mount and the 400 does not (takes a screw). That is really the only difference that I can tell.

The 600 has a bit wider of a beam than the 400. The combination of the two is marginally adequate for full speed road riding or high speed descents and I'd like more.

I'm going to probably sell my 600 and get an 800 for this fall. That would be a combination that is hard to beat. IMO, you can't have too much light and/or I haven't reached that point yet. I don't think the 200L is enough light for much of anything (had one).

The 800L/400L combo is a killer combination - that's what I'd go for. I think if they still have the sale on, you are basically getting the 400L for like $20.

The other helmet light I was looking at was the Ayups for the helmet. If you can believe the tests here, they put out slightly more than the 400L (probably not a noticeable difference) but pretty much the same as the 600L. Their helmet mount is better than the 400L IMO. That said, the 400L is a great light.

J.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One 400l with 1 spot and 1 medium lens on high is actually fine for most single track.
    I run with that on my helmet and a TriNewt on the bar, usually with the 400l on medium power and the TriNewt on low and only switch to high power for fast downhills.

The dual 400l should be good for most single track and is the best value for the $

You may want to run 1 medium and 1 flood lens on the bar light, it will give good spread of light and you can run 1 spot and 1 medium lens on the helmet for distance if you like.
    Be sure to order the lens kit(s), it's a few bucks extra.

Play around with the lens to see what works best for you.
    You don't quit playing because you get old....You get old because you quit playing

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    This might help you a bit. Not exactly what you're asking for, but..

Dinotte 400L and 800L beamshots