Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180

    Dinotte 1200+ Vs Seca 1400 Vs Lupine Betty

    So........
    I've read many good things about the Seca 1400 and Dinotte 1200+. I want a barlight to compliment a Wilma on the helmet and will sell the Tesla that I currently have to pair with the Wilma.
    Off course I would like to keep it in the Lupine family but its a lot of money so I'm considering these two options for now. If they are not what I expect then I will end up with a Betty some day.
    With TG sales I can get the Seca 1400 for about 550$ and the 1200+ for about 450$. The Betty for 900$
    One thing I like about Lupine is that when you crash you just buy a new lens/cap replacement and you're good to go. Not sure but I don't think the Seca will take a hit very good.... Also, I use the middle and high settings and with the Seca I would have to press that switch many times to go back and forth (with Lupine I just program 60% and 100%.. nice)
    The Dinotte seems more rugged than the seca but not sure about the pattern or if it would be enough light for the Wilma?
    Also it would be nice the redundancy of having same Lupine batteries, chargers, mounts, etc
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and happy TG!!
    BBW. MS, RD

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,705
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    So........
    I've read many good things about the Seca 1400 and Dinotte 1200+. I want a barlight to compliment a Wilma on the helmet and will sell the Tesla that I currently have to pair with the Wilma.
    Off course I would like to keep it in the Lupine family but its a lot of money so I'm considering these two options for now. If they are not what I expect then I will end up with a Betty some day.
    With TG sales I can get the Seca 1400 for about 550$ and the 1200+ for about 450$. The Betty for 900$
    One thing I like about Lupine is that when you crash you just buy a new lens/cap replacement and you're good to go. Not sure but I don't think the Seca will take a hit very good.... Also, I use the middle and high settings and with the Seca I would have to press that switch many times to go back and forth (with Lupine I just program 60% and 100%.. nice)
    The Dinotte seems more rugged than the seca but not sure about the pattern or if it would be enough light for the Wilma?
    Also it would be nice the redundancy of having same Lupine batteries, chargers, mounts, etc
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and happy TG!!
    So like where is this TG place! That's a great price for the 1400 that lists at $699. Anyway, I'd go with the Seca 1400. The beam shots are impressive and $550 would be a great deal. The Seca is listed as having only 3 modes. I can't see that as a big problem. The middle setting is listed at 700lm which sounds nice. I don't know the mode pattern but if it is circular (H-M-L-H...) at $550 it would be a slam-dunk. Not sure I like the mounting system but hey, you can't have everything. If the Dinotte had more throw I'd likely go with them but the beam shots of the 1200+ were not too impressive IMO. Still, with the Wilma on the helmet you have added throw. If it were me and I was spending the big bucks, I want some chocolate on that ice cream. But seriously, you don't always need to run a helmet light if you have a bar light with some decent throw. Anyway, your call and get what you think works best for you. ( update: I just now figured out you are talking about Thanksgiving with TG reference...never mind. )

  3. #3
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    So like where is this TG place! That's a great price for the 1400 that lists at $699. Anyway, I'd go with the Seca 1400. The beam shots are impressive and $550 would be a great deal. The Seca is listed as having only 3 modes. I can't see that as a big problem. The middle setting is listed at 700lm which sounds nice. I don't know the mode pattern but if it is circular (H-M-L-H...) at $550 it would be a slam-dunk. Not sure I like the mounting system but hey, you can't have everything. If the Dinotte had more throw I'd likely go with them but the beam shots of the 1200+ were not too impressive IMO. Still, with the Wilma on the helmet you have added throw. If it were me and I was spending the big bucks, I want some chocolate on that ice cream. But seriously, you don't always need to run a helmet light if you have a bar light with some decent throw. Anyway, your call and get what you think works best for you. ( update: I just now figured out you are talking about Thanksgiving with TG reference...never mind. )
    hahaha yeah, a local LBS has a 25% discount and I sipport local whenever I can spend the money. this seems like a good deal. Although the Dinotte is cheaper! and I could have another battery for less than would I pay for the Seca...
    Check out this review
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/11/19/...ion-seca-1400/
    I like the low profile of it
    BBW. MS, RD

  4. #4
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180
    Update... I went to the store to check the Seca 1400.... I'm almost crying; what a dissapointing light.
    Let me tell you one thing; I tried the light outside the store and it was not totally dark FWI.
    The design is SO CHEAP that it looks like a kid's toy (a 3-year old one). Everything is cheap plastic glued together with a very low finished quality.
    The front lens is cheap plastic and the mount will not stand a branch hit.
    This light will brake just dropping the bike to the floor; I'm sorry but lights have to be STURDY because people fall. The glue was pouring outside the cracks... it was PATHETIC
    Sorry L&M but after owning the ARC, it seems like this has been outsourced and some 8-year old kids in Taiwan are glueing it together.
    Don't even care about the beam pattern
    BBW. MS, RD

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    369
    Why don't you keep your Tesla and put both the Tesla and Wilma on the bars and buy one of those very cool looking Piko's. You'll have all the Lumens you currently have plus another 550 on the helmet and you won't even feel it. 310 bucks and you get another Lupine.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Why don't you keep your Tesla and put both the Tesla and Wilma on the bars and buy one of those very cool looking Piko's. You'll have all the Lumens you currently have plus another 550 on the helmet and you won't even feel it. 310 bucks and you get another Lupine.
    Hm, that's a funny idea: to put two lights PLUS two batteries on your bike (LED Lupines cannot be run on an Y-cable), how convenient is that?

    BBW, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't take the Seca. The beam pattern - based on the beamshots - is nothing short of astonishing, even though it lacks the punch of the Betty.

    The Dinotte is also a floooody pattern, but since the Wilma has a huge throw you could try these two together.
    But if you need ultimate light output + sturdy built quality, check these guys:
    http://full-beam.com/
    Since they seem to use their lights for freeriding I'd be surprised if it wasn't built to survive an atomic blast...

  7. #7
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    BBW, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't take the Seca. The beam pattern - based on the beamshots - is nothing short of astonishing, even though it lacks the punch of the Betty.

    The Dinotte is also a floooody pattern, but since the Wilma has a huge throw you could try these two together.
    But if you need ultimate light output + sturdy built quality, check these guys:
    http://full-beam.com/
    Since they seem to use their lights for freeriding I'd be surprised if it wasn't built to survive an atomic blast...
    Don't worry about me Radirpok, I just had to pull the plug on a Betty
    After talking with Bill I decided not to waste my money
    The reasons to buy the betty:
    1- Service from Gretna is outstanding. Bill rocks (and the rest of the team)
    2- Pattern and lumens (I rode with a friend that bought one and the Betty was insane!!)
    3- The light can take a beating (no crappy plastic parts to break and fall off). In case of a crash you just need to replace the front glass/cap and its a DIY so no down time (I've crashed my Wilma twice already)
    4- Since I already own other Lupine, I will have the redundancy of chargers, batteries and mounts
    5- Upgradeability!!!!!!! I have had my Wilma for 3 years and look at her now, still showing off with 1000 lumens and some tricked XPGs
    6- Craftmanship: the most beautiful finish and attention to details
    7- Programability (not only 100-50-25%) other setting are useful too!

    I think that at the end you save money since you don't have to sell the light to buy the next new thing out there. If I wouldn't have sold and bought sooooo many lights in my quest to find the perfect one, I would have had the money for the Betty looong time ago!!!
    Yes, its a bunch of money but Bugattis aren't cheap
    BBW. MS, RD

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bobson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    21
    Just got my Dinotte 1200+ and Lupine Piko this week. First few rides and the two are working very nicely together. Once some of the new snow melts I'll take some shots of the beams. The 1200+ fans out nicely and with both on full power they blend perfectly. So far I'm happy.

  9. #9
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,226
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    Update... I went to the store to check the Seca 1400.... I'm almost crying; what a dissapointing light.
    Let me tell you one thing; I tried the light outside the store and it was not totally dark FWI.
    The design is SO CHEAP that it looks like a kid's toy (a 3-year old one). Everything is cheap plastic glued together with a very low finished quality.
    The front lens is cheap plastic and the mount will not stand a branch hit.
    This light will brake just dropping the bike to the floor; I'm sorry but lights have to be STURDY because people fall. The glue was pouring outside the cracks... it was PATHETIC
    Sorry L&M but after owning the ARC, it seems like this has been outsourced and some 8-year old kids in Taiwan are glueing it together.
    Don't even care about the beam pattern
    Harsh. I disagree with all your observations. This is a proven light head design and many, many are familiar with it. Construction is good. Venting is awesome. The switch is big and fool proof. Mounting is one of the simplest ever and it can be aimed left to right.

    The weakness I've heard about is old versions can slip and point down during rocky descents. They made the 1400 with a bigger, stickier rubber pad to avoid this. I hate the long wire as well but that's just me.

    Anyway, I love the Lupine as well so I think you can't go wrong. Just offering a different view on the light and motion light head.

  10. #10
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,226

  11. #11
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Harsh. I disagree with all your observations. This is a proven light head design and many, many are familiar with it. Construction is good. Venting is awesome. The switch is big and fool proof. Mounting is one of the simplest ever and it can be aimed left to right.

    The weakness I've heard about is old versions can slip and point down during rocky descents. They made the 1400 with a bigger, stickier rubber pad to avoid this. I hate the long wire as well but that's just me.

    Anyway, I love the Lupine as well so I think you can't go wrong. Just offering a different view on the light and motion light head.
    I don't disagree with the design Francois, my beef is with it's cheap craftmanship. I'm sorry but all the carcas is brittle plastic and it looks disposable IMHO.
    Also for 700$ I would expect a top class finish.
    BBW. MS, RD

  12. #12
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by bobson
    Just got my Dinotte 1200+ and Lupine Piko this week. First few rides and the two are working very nicely together. Once some of the new snow melts I'll take some shots of the beams. The 1200+ fans out nicely and with both on full power they blend perfectly. So far I'm happy.
    I'm glad! I think Dinotte is the best bang and has an amazing quality!! Enjoy
    BBW. MS, RD

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    681
    If u think the dinotte 1200 plus is too floody you can have them change the flood lens on one side to a spot like the other lens for a little tighter beam and punch

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woody.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Hm, that's a funny idea: to put two lights PLUS two batteries on your bike (LED Lupines cannot be run on an Y-cable), how convenient is that?

    I started a new thread on Open Light System Company trying to get some info on them and I noticed they make a Y-Cable for Lupine lights.
    Here's the link for the Y-Cable
    http://www.open-light.de/en/Accessor...Batteries.html

    Woody

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    988
    I got a 1200+ recently. It has a very even distribution of light, which I think is best suited to off-roading. Like my old DiNotte 600L, it gives me the low-battery signal rather early in cold weather when running on HIGH.

    I wasn't thrilled about the 1200+'s rubber-strap mount, which was a low point on my Seca 700, but the DiNotte's only slipped once so far. Still, I may re-mount the light head on a Cateye bar mount, or devise some sort of dead-center mount.

    A couple other good points: with my long 135mm stem, the battery pack sits nicely under the stem, keeping it off my frame. And the whole system adds under 1 pound to the bike, which is pretty low weight for a production system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •