mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Differences/preferences in the DealExtreme XM-L lights?

Anyone order more than one of the DX XM-L lights and preferred one over the other? I'm gonna pickup two, and run the Action Light lens w/ the light on the bars for the wider beam.

Here's the different models (sku # 82507, 82508, 82510, and 104287). They're all T6-binned single XM-L emitters w/ 4x18650. The listed dimensions are all a little different (with 82510 being the lightest and the 104287 being the smallest). The machining is a bit different on each too, and there are the obvious differences in crowns, which I couldn't care for (not like I'm gonna rip 'em off the bars and stab someone with it).

T6 Smooth Crown Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode "1200-Lumen" White LED Bike Light with Battery Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    T6 Assault Crown Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode "1200-Lumen" White LED Bike Light with Battery Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    T6 Water Resistant XML-T6 3-Mode 930-Lumen White LED Bike Light with Battery Pack Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    XML-T6 "1050LM" 3-Mode White LED Bicycle Bike Light (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

82507:

82508:

82510:

104287:

Thoughts? Opinions?

mtbr member
    My take: Buy somewhere else. All of these lights offer only two steady modes and one flash. Having a mid-mode is a BIG PLUS. Geoman sells a true three mode ( H-M-L+ flash ) XML lamp as do some others ( however they will cost more ).

Of the four you listed , #2 can be shipped directly from a USA warehouse. Also #2 has a long smooth reflector and will give a good spot.

The last one is interesting because it is using a shorter reflector. This will likely give it a wider beam pattern. It too uses a smooth reflector. Too bad about that because I bet it would be better with an OP reflector. ( not that you can't buy one later )

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Rice Rocket ~ I've just cancelled an order as they haven't had any in stock for a while and I got sick of waiting. My original order was for SKU 904482510 (SKU 82510 from UK warehouse)

From a conversation with them yesterday:

Rob: Can you see whether SKU 82510 is in stock?
    Rob: The same product in Asia
    Carson: out of stock
    Rob: IS SKU 82508 in stock?
    Rob: Last similar is sku82507, is that in stock?

Good luck and let me know if you find one in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought 3 of the 82510 back in November. Took DX about 10 days to get them in stock. They told me they'd get the factory to send them some when they had enough quantity.

It definitely has a significant hot spot which can cause some vision difficulties due to the difference in intensity between the center and the area outside the hot spot.

I also have some earlier MS P7 clones that came with OP reflectors. I swapped in the OP reflector and it definitely smooths out the beam making the hot spot larger and smoother, with a more gradual transition. I haven't tried them out on a ride as the OP reflectors aren't an exact fit.

The smooth reflector in the 85210 has no lip; the reflector sits fully inside the housing, while the MS clone OP reflector does have a lip. This lip rides on the edge of the housing and prevents the lens and assault crown from threading all the way in. I think the OP reflector can be made to fit by grinding down the lip but I was reluctant to experiment on one at the cost of disabling a working P7 light.

Instead I've ordered some OP reflectors from Action LED and will modify those to fit. I'll post an update once I've got them and have modified them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NightBiker View Post
    Instead I've ordered some OP reflectors from Action LED and will modify those to fit. I'll post an update once I've got them and have modified them.
    I ordered the same T6 XML via eBay ($45 shipped from a California-based seller, got it in 4 days) and switched the smooth reflector to the Action OP one. Worked just fine and really helped soften the hot spot. I also got the wide angle lens from Action for my bar-mounted MJ-836 (which already had the OP reflector). Like it.