Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Poor pethelman, he's probably going bananas now with everybody specifying different lens combinations and driver modes and all. He must be thinking, "What's next? Are they gonna make me anodize the light in a custom color? Why'd I start this project in the first place?"

BTW, my next DesignShine, I want it in pink with white flowers, please.

One step ahead of you, Azra.

I'm sure I'm driving him crazy with the lights/lenses. I'm hoping to have the preliminary pictures up over the weekend at this point.

He already said "no" to an acrylic green lense cover. Since I am a big Green Lantern fan, I wanted to cast a green light as "homage" to the character.

I'm pretty confident once I post up the pictures of the lights and their beam, that he will be able to narrow down some options. I'm also trying to keep him in the loop for a modification that I am planning. It may or may not be of any use to him --- but I've decided to punish him by involving him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Azra.....

Still waiting for those pics you promised You seem to have a very aggressive personality and not afraid of trucks flying by at 60 mph, yet you're afraid to post a few pictures of the light on your bike. What's up with that

btw....do you have any knowledge of why my last few posts went missing ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    Hey Azra.....

Still waiting for those pics you promised You seem to have a very aggressive personality and not afraid of trucks flying by at 60 mph, yet you're afraid to post a few pictures of the light on your bike. What's up with that

btw....do you have any knowledge of why my last few posts went missing ?
    suba, might be an idea to back off. If Azra wants to post pics, she will do. If she doesn't, she won't. There's no great conspiracy. There are enough pics of these lights on bikes for you to get an idea of what they look like, if they're not good enough it's unlikely Azra's will somehow satisfy your needs.

You're already starting to come across as a bit of a troll/ stalker/ harasser - don't make it even worse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    mm...

No, I'm not a troll/ stalker. There's something wrong with all of this. Azra doesn't speak or act like any female I've even known. This is the inter webs, where people can pretend to be anyone they want. I have my doubts Azra is a woman. If she is she's someone I would never want to meet.

I'm out of here. You guys can fall all over her ( or him ) but not me.

Everyone have a nice day...

mtbr member
    who cares if Azra is a chick or not? This thread is about bike lights for Pete's sake and your only contribution has been to demand pictures of her bike, propose that her/his/it's refusal to do so is some kind of conspiracy, call into question her/his/it's sex and then start making aspersions as to her/ his/ it's character.

so sum up for me the value that you've added to this thread?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailBound29er View Post
    He already said "no" to an acrylic green lense cover. Since I am a big Green Lantern fan, I wanted to cast a green light as "homage" to the character.
    Huh? That's very strange. I know he has a yellow lens cover of which he's very fond. Maybe he's a Parallax fan... that thing is yellow, isn't it?

Azra "Da Man"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The value is be an independent thinker and don't be a sheep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Huh? That's very strange. I know he has a yellow lens cover of which he's very fond. Maybe he's a Parallax fan... that thing is yellow, isn't it?

Azra "Da Man"
    Love it... the "Parallax" lens cover.

In any case, yes, I expected a bit of craziness in the early stages, getting feedback from folks, seeing what works best, playing with options, etc. But you're right, it's a logistical nightmare.

Just for clarification, "TrailBound29er" has a special "1-off" version of the headlight were I did not affix the clear polycarb lens cover to the light housing, but instead, formed a thin "gasket-like" layer of silicon on the lens cover piece to allow him to remove the cover, swap out different lenses, then re-install the cover and still be relatively sealed against rain (probably not waterboard-proof like Azra's).

The headlight was designed to allow a 1/8" thick piece of tinted Acrylic (separate from the lens cover piece) to be placed over the lens cover and held down by the center screw. I've been supplying a yellow "Parallax" filter with the headlight, but it's very much a matter of opinion as to whether it's a value added feature for the daytime strobe function. Green... now there's an idea. I'm sure nobody has ever seen a green flashing light coming at them during the day.

mtbr member
    The value is be an independent thinker and don't be a sheep.

oookay. So, repeatedly harassing someone for pictures of their bike, calling it a conspiracy when they're not provided, then saying that they're an aggressive "man pretending to be a woman on the internet" is independent thinking?

Wow, just wow. Now I realise what I've been doing so wrong my whole life.

mtbr member
    I'm out of here. You guys can fall all over her ( or him ) but not me.
    Do yourself a favour and leave this thread. Unsubscribe, ignore, whatever, but don't bother reading it or posting in it any more. It was funny at first, but now its just sad. Stop harassing Azra, whatever Azra is, should not matter and you are getting annoying.

Nobody here is falling over anyone, we just interested in the product and the comments of people that have had first hand experience with the light.

Your complain about your posts disappearing , but i still see them all, i just wish i could hide them as they serve no purpose in this discussion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour View Post
    .....whatever Azra is, should not matter and you are getting annoying.

Nobody here is falling over anyone, we just interested in the product and the comments of people that have had first hand experience with the light.
    Well said BritOnTour... Suba: For the record, a smart person will not reveal too much about themselves online. Some people actual "lie" in their profiles because they don't trust others. That's because they know there are some strange people out there. That's also why when people post pictures of lights they generally only show their hands or just the bars of their bike ( although there are exceptions ). Anyway, it's fine to ask for pictures or photos "IF IT SERVES A PURPOSE IN THE THREAD". In this case it is only serving your own misdirected curiosity. Whither someone is "Insert your personal bias of choice " or not has no bearing in the thread or the forum for that matter.

mtbr member

New DS-500 mount pics

One of my recent customers gave me permission to use these pictures from his/her setup on the road bike. Better than my pictures for sure.

Also, here is some feedback that was provided by the same person that was a nice surprise... started to get a little worried when I was first reading it, thinking "Oh great, here we go, people getting stopped because their taillight is too bright..." Thankfully that hasn't happened yet. Just keep it on level 3 or lower at night... pretty please

"When out on my first ride a couple days ago and didn't even get two blocks from the house and was stopped by a local sheriff deputy. He was so impressed by it that he wanted one for his mtn bike, so I gave him your email."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_mount1.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_mount2.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_mount3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Folks,
    Stephen has emailed me to let me know my DS light set is in the mail. Should be here (in Australia) v/soon. There are lots of nice comments at his web site that are very encouraging. I can't wait!
    Savvas.

Frys With That, Please
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    One of my recent customers gave me permission to use these pictures from his/her setup on the road bike. Better than my pictures for sure.

Also, here is some feedback that was provided by the same person that was a nice surprise... started to get a little worried when I was first reading it, thinking "Oh great, here we go, people getting stopped because their taillight is too bright..." Thankfully that hasn't happened yet. Just keep it on level 3 or lower at night... pretty please

"When out on my first ride a couple days ago and didn't even get two blocks from the house and was stopped by a local sheriff deputy. He was so impressed by it that he wanted one for his mtn bike, so I gave him your email."
    Very nice !
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    Very impressive. I just ran across this link through a YouTube subscription so it is a belated hats off to the builder.

I've been working on some budget tail lights for the every day cyclist. Some very competing priorities have come up in the development of such a beast. Obviously nothing rivaling this monster, but I have a few observations...

Can a tail light be too bright? I think this has been answered, yes it can! But now you have me re-thinking the nominal levels. On non-bike forums I've even received threats of bodily harm if I were to even come close to the levels this DS-500 is pushing. The very fact that it is capable of pushing out this many lumens is impressive.

I've looked but haven't seen what the beamshot of the tail light would look like on the "white wall". I do not have much experience with the optics you guys are using but I've always found them to be focused at some level although this is changeable with different optics. Do these optics have a specific "hot spot/zone" or is it well diffused?

Runtime is of critical importance to many of us doing long rides or 4+ hours or specifically, when touring 10-12 hours. This is when you start trading off runtime with visibility. Has someone already looked into runtime based on modes and configurations?

Just to give you an idea of where I am coming from is flashlights. I know, basic stupid simple why are we even talking about it... but it is the tech I am getting to here. As-is, XR-E Q5 on a single 2400mah 18650 is 4+ hours runtime on strobe (6-1/2 hours actually). You don't get to program these units and the only real plus to these things is that they can be zoomed (or defocused) for a lot of light transmission. The defocused beam eminates near the lens for minimal losses and a 60 degree cone of relaively even light. I bring this up because for a tail light, or even a be-seen front light, it is very noticable at higher angles. To add, when you are directly aligned with the light, the intensity is only a little more than at 30 degrees offset. It is the aspheric lens that allows for this and really is a simple solution for being-seen (no reflector needed). The last requirement is making the light red, which is easily accomplished with filters, in my case, Rubylith film.

I fully understand that the Q5 on a single cell sucks for consistency in light output throughout the runtime. They rarely provide boost drivers in such cheap lights so the output varies from 240 to 160 lumens. With the intensity of the Q5, it is a usable light and it gains me significant respect day or night on the roads I travel. Trail peds look away or otherwise blind their eyes from the front facing blinkies and I usually reciprocate by turning off the front lights on the trail.

Since these little lights have really been quite reliable (with my own tinkering and hardening), I wanted to take them to the next level. XM-L and a multi-mode driver - 9 unique modes. But I hamstrung the driver to match the Q5 at 700ma. With a red filter, this was a mistake. To equal the Q5, it will still need to run at 1 amp. I ended up limiting this output because of what I felt traffic would tolerate. Even an XM-L at 1.4 amps is a very blinding effect even behind an aspheric lens. Here too, programmability is of high value. 17mm drivers just don't have this luxury.

Point is, can you see an aspheric zoomable blinkie running an XM-L full bore for say 90 minutes without traffic retaliating? I too have had great success with local law enforcement accepting what I'm currently running. To what level will they tolerate brightness? When will municipalities start regulating max output? We've been reasonably fortunate to not be regulated as yet, but with the new capabilities, I have no doubt that some cager will get upset and they might just have a voice in legislation. Has the cycling community pre-empted any such legislation with lobbying? Are there any useful studies in this regard from universities? I'm thinking that before we have too many DS-500 out there blasting people with 1000 lumens of flashing red lights all over the place (the pricepoint is sure attractive!) that it would be worthwhile polling the public here on MTBR of what, if anything might already be available. This is a serious request, so don't flame me for asking.

Again, great job on the offerings. I wish you all the success and many many sales.

mtbr member
    Thanks. It was definitely a long design process to get it to where it is today.

To answer some of your very valid points...
    The DS-500 uses the MaxFlex boost controller. This allows the unit to be turned down to about the same intensity as the MagicShine taillight, although only consuming around 1 watt. Run time tables can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/design...un-time-tables

But just as a point of reference, it will run at the full 10 watts flashing for more than 12 hours on the 5200mAH pack.

As far as beam pattern... it uses two different lenses. One is a pure spot for super long distance throw while the other is elliptical, giving a nice flat and very wide (43+ deg) beam that gives great coverage off-angle.

So yes, it's a monster, but only if you want it to be. It is also infinitely aim-able so there is good flexibility there for managing intensity, especially at night.

I'm in the process of making some comparison videos with the MS taillight as well as some white wall shots showing the beam pattern.

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    Cool! Those are some very impressive numbers and great options. Looking forward to the images.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'BentRyder View Post
    Cool! Those are some very impressive numbers and great options. Looking forward to the images.
    Here you go. All the shots were taken in full manual mode with identical settings. Taking RED beam shots is a very different animal than white! Also note that I made the necessary "shim" adjustments to the MJ818 to get it firing straight back from my "simulated" seat post mount.
    The shots are ordered as follows:
    1) MJ818 on High
    2) DS-500 spot only on level 1
    3) DS-500 spot only on level 3
    4) DS-500 spot only on level 5
    5) DS-500 elliptical only on level 1
    6) DS-500 elliptical only on level 3
    7) DS-500 elliptical only on level 5
    8) DS-500 both beams on level 5
    9) Test stand from slightly beyond 90 degrees from the side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DesignShine... WOW!-mj818_high.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level1_spot_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level3_spot_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level5_spot_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level1_elliptical_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level3_elliptical_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level5_elliptical_beam_only.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds-500_level5_spot_and_elliptical_beams_combined.jpg  

DesignShine... WOW!-ds500_vs_mj818_test_stand.jpg  

Last edited by pethelman; 09-25-2011 at 11:22 PM.

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    I like that elliptical pattern. Have you considered running only one or the other in your mode selection or separate switch? The wide oval would be more efficient than a round diffused beam. Maybe running the elliptical at level 5 is more tolerable for night rides.

Thanks for posting those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well I now have my DS front and rear lights. They are very small and very nicely made. These are the first battery lights I've had in years (since I bought a set of Night Suns about 15 years ago). So I don't feel able to compare them with anything else on the market. They are very small - about the same dimensions as a PBSF but a little deeper (front to back). They are light weight. They use the generic Cateye mount. They are dead easy to turn off/on and change modes. I bought two of Stephen's rack mounts and they too are very nicely made. It all seems practical, strong and sensible.

Are the lights too bright? The rear light is much brighter than a MS tail light - I don't know how much brighter - maybe 2 or 3 times. But I think it's tolerable (just!) My PBSF just gets lost in the 'red flood' and glow from the DS. I think the PBSF (and similar rear lights) are all great. But I bought the DS because I have to negotiate a busy set of slip lanes on my way home from work and I want the cars approaching from behind to remember I'm there! I think it'll do the trick.

The front light is another matter. As I've said, I can't compare it to another contemporary front LED light as my experience is limited. It does however light up my whole street from fence to fence for around 200 metres with a white, very even beam. It's like a powerful car head light on high. I've kept it pretty well aimed on the road in front of me as I'm quite concerned about dazzling on coming drivers. I'm not yet confident that I'm fully in control of the upward spill. And did I mention that I've only used it on low? I just wish there was a generic lense available to small-scale light builders like the one that B&M make that gave more control over where the light goes! Stephen did send a yellow supplementary filter which I've been using during the day. It reduces the glare I think and makes for an extremely 'attention-getting' flasher!

So these are undoubtedly great lights. I suspect that they are pretty cheap for what you get but I do think that you need to approach the whole question of need carefully. The tail light is just plain outstanding and I find is a great confidence booster in heavy commuting traffic. The headlight is probably ideal for off-road nightriding, but do you need an aircraft landing light for your commute? I haven't quite figured this out yet but I suspect that once I get the right, traffic tolerable angle worked out it will be great.

I'd add that I'm really only a commuting bike rider these days. Where these lights - both front and rear - would really shine I think is on the open road for touring cyclists or those doing Audax or early morning solo training rides. These often present very specific hazards as drivers are often dealing with fatigue and difficult lighting conditions. The sheer grunt of these two tiny lights may be ideal in such circumstances.
    Sam.

mtbr member
    Hi Azra~!
    please email or send me pm. Thank you.
    info@bikerayusa.com
    Team BikeRay USA
    LED Bike Lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've been meaning to post for some time. I was likely one of the early designshine customers, having randomly found the youtube video about the time he first decided to offer them. I got both the headlight and taillight. Of course, I was a little reluctant to be one of the "guinea pigs". The business end of the transaction was excellent. All emails were answered and promises kept.

As to the product itself, the taillight is stunning! I have PBSB and two dinotte 140R's. I ride on rural roads during daylight mostly. Under these conditions the super blinky is totally ineffective, and the Dinotte 140R provides a minimal attention getting light. The DS-500 on level 5 is perfect for this in my opinion. Not too bright. Under cloudy conditions or in town, I do reduce the power. The headlight is a very nice product too, but there are other alternatives available so the "wow" factor is not as great as the taillight.

A few posters make good points about bicycle lights becoming bright enough to become hazardous. I'll leave the bulk of that discussion for another thread. I treat these Designshines like bright headlights on the car - don't drive around with them on high just because you can. Effective lights are bright enough to be clearly seen without blinding. With a little good sense by the user to fit the conditions, these lights are about the best available. My only two suggestions for improvement are for more blinking rates/patterns to choose from, and a better battery charge indicator. These are minor points, and overall I strongly recommend either the Designshine head or tail light.

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    It is nice to see testimony to the effect that tail lights in fact can be too bright.
    Definitely a welcome capability for bike tail lights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vswope View Post

...As to the product itself, the taillight is stunning! I have PBSB and two dinotte 140R's. I ride on rural roads during daylight mostly. Under these conditions the super blinky is totally ineffective, and the Dinotte 140R provides a minimal attention getting light. The DS-500 on level 5 is perfect for this in my opinion. Not too bright. Under cloudy conditions or in town, I do reduce the power. The headlight is a very nice product too, but there are other alternatives available so the "wow" factor is not as great as the taillight.
    I can see one of these lights being real useful in remote rural areas. I do lots of driving in areas like that and you rarely see anyone bicycling on roads in places that are remote. In places like that you would definitely want something to make you stand out at a distance for traffic approaching you from the rear. Wearing high visibility yellow helps a bunch but having a strobing light that can draw a motorist's attention from a quarter mile away ( or more ) ( in broad daylight ) would be a big asset.

Next year I plan on doing some road rides in areas like that and I want to make sure all the truck drivers ( as well as others ) see me well before they even know that I'm a cyclist. I'm thinking about adapting an XM-L torch and using it on SOS mode. **It won't be red but it will draw attention. Since a five mode torch has memory I can easily turn it off/on with just a click ( mounted near or under the seat. Once the sun starts setting my twin SF's are well enough to be seen from a distance.

(** I do plan on using some automotive red lens tape to adapt one of my spare torch lenses. It will dampen the output a tad but I bet it will still be bright and in the 500 lumen range. Since a torch can't be adjusted for intensity while in flash modes this set up is planned only for full daylight use in a dangerous or rural ( 40+mph speed limit ) setting. )

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm wondering if there's any difficulty operating the DS1300 switch with gloved hands (spring or winter gloves) since the switch looks pretty small?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast