Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 229
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Stephen, nice vid!

    Either your neighbors are oblivious to what goes on outside their doors OR they are very understanding. Break out the shades!
    Thanks,
    It was about midnight when I did the test, so I was hoping that everybody was asleep, plus I didn't have to disturb the setup mid-stream to get out of the way of any cars. I did kind of shoot in a hurry and "run away" if you know what I mean

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    I couldn't out-run any combination, even on fast down hill (<30mph), but when you're really getting on it down a hill, level 5 just gives you that extra confidence.
    I can confirm that. I was riding last night on a parkway. 4 lanes wide, flat/little downhill and straight - so very fast when you start hammering in the drops. And completely dark. BTW, it's totally illegal to ride a bike there, but I can't be bothered with rules and regulations.

    Last time I was riding there was with the BR IV and I was wishing for more throw. Not so with the DS! Perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    3. I can see how the triple mode of operation may be better than the five-level (multi-mode) mainly due... blah blah
    Ha! I told you multimode/superlock is way too complicated. But noooo, you won't listen.

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    1 x Radbot 1000 and 2 x PBSF (1/2 watt version).
    Not bad for little blinkies but you will find the DS-500 in a totally different league.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    But my wife still hasn't calmed down since I spent over a thousand bucks on my front lights.
    Can't say I blame her. If I was married to some %@$@@! that's spending all his paycheck on himself instead of buying me chocolate, ice cream, tiramisu, and bike lights, I too would be f-ing furious.

    No, seriously, try playing the safety card. Does she want to see you under one of those B-Double trucks?

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    Azra,
    Do you have any pictures of the DS-500 on your bike ?
    Nope, don't have a picture. Could take one later. But mine is mounted pretty similar to pethelman's first picture.

    It works fine, but personally I'd like it better on the back of my saddlebag (much cleaner look) - like my 400R. For that I'd need to drill a hole in the last cooling fin. And I'd need the hole to be threaded. So need to find me a machine shop, I guess.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    494
    Azra...

    Could you post a few pictures of the DS-500 on your bike ?

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Nope, don't have a picture. Could take one later. But mine is mounted pretty similar to pethelman's first picture.
    I was interested in seeing a few pictures of the light on your bike. What's the big secret ? I think most people here would appreciate pictures on your bike. After all you started the thread.

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    This is the side view of the DiNotte 400R and DS-500 at night.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MLxEF9kRQ

    On top is the 400R. Below is the DS-500.

    Both lights are on the brightest setting.

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    This is the side view of the DiNotte 400R and DS-500 at night.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MLxEF9kRQ

    On top is the 400R. Below is the DS-500.

    Both lights are on the brightest setting.
    Hi Azra,

    I guess that I didn't make myself clear enough. My fault. I have no doubt the 500 is much brighter than the 400R. That's a given. I was simply interested in seeing a few pictures of the light mounted on your bike in the daytime with the light off. Is your bike in the witness protection program

    Oh well....thank you anyway.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    3. I can see how the triple mode of operation may be better than the five-level (multi-mode) mainly due to the mechanics of dimming the light. In the triple mode (low-med-high), clicking the button just cycles between the three levels. So if you're at high (L5), then it's nice just to do a single click to dim for oncoming motorists, rather than a press-and-hold
    I use Threemode on my mtb lights (L1>L4-L5) as I find that L4 and L5 are where I spend most of my time, with L1 for trailside repairs/ not blinding friends etc. I use Duomode on my commuter light (single XM-L@1.2A, so ~400lms), though I never use the low setting.

    Something that might be worth investigating is the UIP mode that Troutie told me about:
    LFlex for XML and Li-ion

    Sounds like it might be ideal for a road oriented version, although I don't have any experience of it myself.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270
    Thanks Matt, I always kind of skipped over the UIP mode, since it wasn't specifically called out for the "bicycle," but I'll check it out.

    Finally got the lens comparison video annotated so you can see what's what...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP8hD_OU6_w

    Definitely watch at 720 full screen if you can.

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ah. Threemode doesn't refer to the levels, but to how you switch between them. You always have to specify L5 (max drive current), then two out of L1 to L4. I have mine set up as L5=1.2A and Threemode (L1>L4-L5), so I cycle between L4 and L5 with a click, then L1 with a press. Trimode in contrast is Lx-Ly-L5, where "-" is a click, so to get from L5 to Ly, you have to go through Lx.
    Matt, thanks for sharing this info in the DIY forum. I was trying to make sense of if all on the PDF Azra linked me to earlier.

    3 mode is definitely how I'd like to have my lighting options set to - for both steady and flashing. Cheers mate.

  12. #87
    just a Newbie
    Reputation: colleen c's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    Can't say I blame her. If I was married to some %@$@@! that's spending all his paycheck on himself instead of buying me chocolate, ice cream, tiramisu, and bike lights, I too would be f-ing furious.
    I like.

    Only can a female bicyclist will mix bike lights along with chocolate, ice cream and tiramisu

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Thanks Matt, I always kind of skipped over the UIP mode, since it wasn't specifically called out for the "bicycle," but I'll check it out.
    no worries. It's not 100% fit and forget, but it might be of interest for the more savvy user.

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Matt, thanks for sharing this info in the DIY forum. I was trying to make sense of if all on the PDF Azra linked me to earlier.

    3 mode is definitely how I'd like to have my lighting options set to - for both steady and flashing. Cheers mate.
    you're welcome It took me a while to get used to programming the Taskled drivers, but once they're set, they're just awesome. The fact that they're what's powering the DS lights is an enormous plus in my mind.

  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Azra View Post
    This is the side view of the DiNotte 400R and DS-500 at night.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MLxEF9kRQ

    On top is the 400R. Below is the DS-500.

    Both lights are on the brightest setting.
    Azra,

    Do you know why one of my posts went missing ? It was in response to your above quote. Thanks for the link, but I was interested in seeing the DS 500 on your bike in the daylight with the light off. What's the big deal ? Why the unwillingness to post a picture of the light on your bike ? That's what we do around here.....show off our bikes with the latest stuff

    Is it just me, or does anyone else sense something isn't quite kosher here

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattthemuppet:
    ah. Threemode doesn't refer to the levels, but to how you switch between them. You always have to specify L5 (max drive current), then two out of L1 to L4. I have mine set up as L5=1.2A and Threemode (L1>L4-L5), so I cycle between L4 and L5 with a click, then L1 with a press. Trimode in contrast is Lx-Ly-L5, where "-" is a click, so to get from L5 to Ly, you have to go through Lx.
    Like Chromagftw I'm trying to get this straight. I think I understand what you're saying about the "threemode". That could work but this "Trimode" sounds more interesting. In trimode , you're saying you can just click to circle through the modes (?)....is that correct? Which Taskled drivers offer this option. My triple has 5 mode and duel mode but I don't think it offered any three mode menu that I'm aware of. Of course this light was built maybe two years ago. Anyway, right now I'm using duel mode and have it set on L5 and L3.

  17. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    yup, trimode = each click cycles you between a mode. So L1 click L3 click L5 click L1
    threemode = L1 click L3 click L5 click L3 click L5 press L1

    all current taskled drivers have these options, but I couldn't honestly tell you when George started implementing it. I know it was before the b2flex came in, as some of the later bflex drivers had it, but other than that I'm clueless. If you can open up the light, take a pic of the driver and email it to George, he'll let you know quickly enough.

  18. #93
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,378
    Out on the trail, Tri-mode did not work for me. Seems like not matter how bright of light you have, you are looking for more, clicking for that next level. Going for high back to low can be scary in certain situations. In three mode you are just cycling between med and high, then when you truly want to drop down to low then just hold the button.



    ***

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Out on the trail, Tri-mode did not work for me. Seems like not matter how bright of light you have, you are looking for more, clicking for that next level. Going for high back to low can be scary in certain situations. In three mode you are just cycling between med and high, then when you truly want to drop down to low then just hold the button.



    ***
    Excellent point scar...

    So does nobody use multi-mode? I guess I've been using it long enough that it just feels natural. When you're "looking for more" that last click just gives you a confirming flash that you're there. On the trail, I'm wondering if there is ever a need to switch to lower power levels very quickly?

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Excellent point scar...

    So does nobody use multi-mode? I guess I've been using it long enough that it just feels natural. When you're "looking for more" that last click just gives you a confirming flash that you're there. On the trail, I'm wondering if there is ever a need to switch to lower power levels very quickly?
    The only time I drop down fast it is when I see oncoming cyclists or hikers/runners who might be sharing the same trail, provided I'm not going fast. It's really out of courtesy more than anything else yet i still find myself apologizing as I go by (does anyone else do this?)

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    On the trail, I'm wondering if there is ever a need to switch to lower power levels very quickly?
    On the trails, most definitely yes. Like Chromagftw said, when there's a bike coming the other way, you don't want to blast them with 1300 lumens. It's rude and it's dangerous to boot.

    That's why I like the duomode. One click and I'm in L2. Another click and I'm back in L5. Simple.

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,281
    I find that the issue isn't that I want to drop to low (which I only do when stopped), more that I often don't have the time to cycle through med to get to high. This was a major issue with a Lightbrain powered DIY halogen I used to use and sometimes I can't even take my hand off the handlebar to switch my helmet light from med > high.

    I use med for climbing/ extending battery life and high for everything else, so going through L1 would be a pain. Still, at least with the *flex drivers you have the option to tailor it to what ever you want!

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    yup, trimode = each click cycles you between a mode. So L1 click L3 click L5 click L1
    threemode = L1 click L3 click L5 click L3 click L5 press L1

    all current taskled drivers have these options, but I couldn't honestly tell you when George started implementing it. I know it was before the b2flex came in, as some of the later bflex drivers had it, but other than that I'm clueless. If you can open up the light, take a pic of the driver and email it to George, he'll let you know quickly enough.
    Thanks Matt. Years ago I complained that the Taskled drivers didn't offer a three mode option. I guess George must of heard my whining and did something about it. Odd though that I'm just hearing about it now.

    Years ago I used to use a Dinotte 600L which had a circular pattern three mode. I absolutely loved it but like Scar mentioned, sometimes you forgot what level ( mid or high ) you were in so good point made by Scar. At least with the 600L it also included a rear led indicator that blinked at different rates for the different mode levels. That came in real handy at times. I still consider the 600L the best made light I own. Sadly Dinotte chose not to upgrade the 600L with XPG or E. Currently I'm using Kerry's "K-lite", triple XP-G with remote. I really like this light. I just might have to contact him to see if he has a model using the newer drivers. If this "Design Light" can be used in any 3 mode pattern that is a great selling point.

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Poor pethelman, he's probably going bananas now with everybody specifying different lens combinations and driver modes and all. He must be thinking, "What's next? Are they gonna make me anodize the light in a custom color? Why'd I start this project in the first place?"

    BTW, my next DesignShine, I want it in pink with white flowers, please.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    I rode with both lights in light rain today and again in rain tonight. No problems to report... other than a mofo homicidal truck driver.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •