mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Designshine lights

Thanks again Steve! Just got my new DS1300 and it's great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernal View Post
    Thanks again Steve! Just got my new DS1300 and it's great.
    You bet! Glad you're enjoying it.
    Here's a pic and some blurbs of the latest revision for those that haven't seen it. 1300 true neutral/cool lumens with combination spot/flood optics. Integrated lid with improved cooling. New side "shading" flares for bar mount applications. O-ring sealing on all interfaces, including lid. User replaceable Carclo lenses and custom flash modes via US-made MaxFlex version 6 controller. Color filter covers for daytime flashing. Runs on anything from 9V to 18V. 3+ hr run-time on high. Ultra-conservative heat management. 100g without mount. All machining done in the US (CA and PA) and assembly in AL. The bad part... super low volume production, so none available. Hard to justify the incredible time/effort to continue building something like this in the face of all the low-cost, over-seas options.
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designshine lights-build_3_headlight_product_shot2_no_background.jpg  

mtbr member
    Peth, Only one word can I say and that is "Excellent"!!

Now if you did what some of the other designers/ DIY builders did and struck a deal with the Chinese manufacturers you might make a pretty penny. Do you still take orders?
    Are you able to use a triple XP-G2 or XP-E2 emitter set-up??

mtbr member
    Hey Stephen, had your customer Patrick come by my place yesterday. He bought the MJ-6002 and mains charger as instructed by you. He's very excited about his new DS-500. I will get a chance to inspect (read: dismantle - joking) when it arrives.

Thanks to you, DS-500 is making the rear too "unbalanced" so he will be getting an array of lights for the front to "even things out". So next week he will have the same front set up as mine.

Patrick's is very impressed with the responsive communication he's had to date. With others singing the same chorus and the fact we had short correspondence months ago, I am able to tell everyone you do take time to communicate and update with your customers besides doing a fantastic job building your DS lights. Kudos.

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Leonard!

It really is a small world isn't it? Thanks for getting him setup with the battery and charger. USPS really put the hammer down with the complete ban of Li-ion on international packages. The DS-500 runs great off of the MJ-6002. I did a run-down test with it and got over 8 hours flashing on the highest setting. I just had to throw this picture in here (recently provided by one of my customers) so that readers could appreciate your comment about needing to "balance out" the back. Of course, the nice thing is you can still turn it down to right around 1W for "friendlier" night time use.
    Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designshine lights-ds500_out_the_back.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi Stephen, what is the current availability of the DS-500?
    Also, there is a 2nd gen white XPE available now, is there any talk of a red XPE-2, and if so what of performance jump would it yield?

Cheers,

Digger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    Hi Stephen, what is the current availability of the DS-500?
    Also, there is a 2nd gen white XPE available now, is there any talk of a red XPE-2, and if so what of performance jump would it yield?

Cheers,

Digger.
    Hey Digger,
    Very marginal improvement with the 2nd gen XPE white. I'm already using the highest bin XPE that was produced in the 1st gen, which were kind of hard to come by. I suspect the XPE-2 might be similar?

Seems like I may have heard about a yet unreleased higher output in red, but can't be sure about that. The existing version is so bright that I'm not sure I'd want to make it any brighter?

Availability is very slim to non-existent at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeccon View Post
    ...He's very excited about his new DS-500. I will get a chance to inspect (read: dismantle - joking) when it arrives.

Leonard
    Forgot to mention, if you want to see the assembly process, you can check out my build BLOG. A few pictures there showing the inside, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I been riding almost every night since i got this light without any problems at all.Love it! May buy another for the bars......really don't need anymore lite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pethelman View Post
    Hey Digger,
    Very marginal improvement with the 2nd gen XPE white. I'm already using the highest bin XPE that was produced in the 1st gen, which were kind of hard to come by. I suspect the XPE-2 might be similar?

Seems like I may have heard about a yet unreleased higher output in red, but can't be sure about that. The existing version is so bright that I'm not sure I'd want to make it any brighter?

Availability is very slim to non-existent at the moment.
    I guess "very slim" is better odds than "we've got none". If someone was to transfer the $$$ today would that secure one?
    I know that Leonard is a distributor for several brands here in Australia, and hearing about you guys liaising together has got me mildly optimistic about DesignShine coming on board with him .
    Anyway, I hope you keep making the DS-500 at least, as it truely is unique in the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldAusDigger View Post
    I guess "very slim" is better odds than "we've got none". If someone was to transfer the $$$ today would that secure one?
    I know that Leonard is a distributor for several brands here in Australia, and hearing about you guys liaising together has got me mildly optimistic about DesignShine coming on board with him .
    Anyway, I hope you keep making the DS-500 at least, as it truely is unique in the market.
    Hey Digger, we did consider getting a few DS earlier in the year to sample the market. I am confident Stephen's lights are bombproof. Still, we weren't sure if Aussies would pay though. The DS lights being custom built is best handled directly since most of our customers want their purchases pronto.

I know Stephen gives his customers constant build updates so they know how things are progressing. This is a guy who knows his stuff so I was determined to learn a little from him. I am please to report the wetness behind my ears are drying,

As per Red XP-E 2, I believe this is what's used in the Geinea rear light. A little delay getting the review sample out but it will be ready shortly. I have been testing (read: fitted on my bike permanently) the prototype. Love it!

Leonard
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    Just checked your website designshinelighting.com and mtbr's latest shootout article...wow. Congratulations. That is a nice light you've built!

mtbr member
    Thanks much PedroDank!
    Hard to believe I've been working on these for two years now. I'm quite honored to have the lights in the shoot out this year. LOTS of good competition for sure.
    Cheers!

More Human Than Human
    I have only great things to say about these lights. I have both the DS-1300 and DS-500 for almost a year (9 months and counting) without a complaint! They deliver and then some!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
    -Confucius