mtbr member

depth perception problems

has any one expierienced depth perception problems while night riding when using one very high powered light.
    thanks maxi

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yes, and that's why a lot of people prefer a bar / helmet combination or a bar light alone. It seems to bother some people more than others.

Personally I prefer a bar / helmet combination and that's what I used when I had halogen lights. When I switched to HID, I ended up using only a helmet light most of the time even though I had 2 HID lights. That's because both a bar and helmet HID light was simply more light than I wanted. I think there should be some challenge in night riding. I really only used both HIDs in races. Now that I'm using LED lights that can be run at lower brightness levels, I'm back to using a helmet / bar combo all the time.

mtbr member
    Yes, the depth perception problems stems from the fact the the head light creates shadows where you can't see them. No shadows means worse depth perception. The solution, as mentioned in the previous post, is to add a handlebar light.