mtbr member

Dedicated night helmet?

Any one have a dedicated night riding helmet? How did you attach the light? I have a nightrider MINewt 500 cordless and I cant put the helmet mount on my regular helmet. Its a Met Velano and the vets just don't line up in a way that you can put the straps on for the mount. I was thinking about getting a POC or a snowboard helmet and using some blindsided tape to attach the light mount.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a dedicated night riding helmet. It's a bell influx which is the same as my daytime helmet, it has nice vents for mounts. I use the standard mount. I have the 2nd because I was tired installing and removing the light and it's nice to have a spare helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Any one have a dedicated night riding helmet? How did you attach the light? I have a nightrider MINewt 500 cordless and I cant put the helmet mount on my regular helmet. Its a Met Velano and the vets just don't line up in a way that you can put the straps on for the mount. I was thinking about getting a POC or a snowboard helmet and using some blindsided tape to attach the light mount.
    I use a Veleno too. My suggestion is to remove the rail guide/catch from the helmet mount base plate and secure that directly to the narrow front bridge. I had to compromise it's structural integrity by drilling a hole in the middle of that bridge to put a bolt through. This bolt will secure the rail guide. In a bad fall, the bolt is secured to the light so safety is not really a problem here. Angle of the guide in relation to the bridge is determined by a customizing a small rubber block. The battery length is what determines how much angling is required. Send me a PM if you need help getting this done.
    Leonard - All things Xeccon + Beyond
    mtbRevolution.com

mtbr member
    i considered a dedicated night helmet. i'm now considering a dedicated winter helmet because mine has too much cooling and fits too snug to allow a skull cap to go underneath it. i can't put anything over the helmet either because then i wouldn't be able to attach the lights.

so far my solution is to ride with the lights during the day. however depending on the weight of your lights and the bumpiness of your ride it may not be an option.