mtbr member
    Jul 2015

decisions, decisions...

gearing up to get into night riding for the first time. been researching all week and have it narrowed down to just a few choices (quite sure im just over thinking it). hoping to get some feedback on what some more experienced riders might choose for first set up.

a light is a light to the wife, so she said just buy 2 of what ever i choose, lol (buying a set for each of us). we want good quality kit, but a dollar saved, is a dollar saved. most of our rides would be around 1.5-2 hours, although as much as 4 hours may not be unheard of. im not against buying a spare battery pack for long rides. NW WA is where we reside for an idea of trails. lots of time on galbraith.

handle bar - im torn between gloworm x2 (or maybe an alpha with w/w) and outbound lighting trail. but also looking at the m-tiger sports theia or ds

helmet - really leaning towards gloworm's alpha here. price, weight and reviews really make it the lead contender to me here. but wondering if its worth it to pony up for an x2 here also.

on one hand, it seems to make sense to stick with gloworm (really like the idea of the alpha for helmet use). i also like everything i see about the OB trail, but im not sold on the road for helmet use. at least as compared to the alpha.

any advice or recommendations are welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler420 View Post
    gearing up to get into night riding for the first time. been researching all week and have it narrowed down to just a few choices (quite sure im just over thinking it). hoping to get some feedback on what some more experienced riders might choose for first set up.

a light is a light to the wife, so she said just buy 2 of what ever i choose, lol (buying a set for each of us). we want good quality kit, but a dollar saved, is a dollar saved. most of our rides would be around 1.5-2 hours, although as much as 4 hours may not be unheard of. im not against buying a spare battery pack for long rides. NW WA is where we reside for an idea of trails. lots of time on galbraith.

handle bar - im torn between gloworm x2 (or maybe an alpha with w/w) and outbound lighting trail. but also looking at the m-tiger sports theia or ds

helmet - really leaning towards gloworm's alpha here. price, weight and reviews really make it the lead contender to me here. but wondering if its worth it to pony up for an x2 here also.

on one hand, it seems to make sense to stick with gloworm (really like the idea of the alpha for helmet use). i also like everything i see about the OB trail, but im not sold on the road for helmet use. at least as compared to the alpha.

any advice or recommendations are welcome.
    I like the idea of the Outbound Lights.

That said, by using the road on the helmet you are getting to use the power of the light carpets working together in harmony, along with exact same color temperature. Resulting in what is essentially an unbroken field of light as you maneuver through twisty trails. It's something that not a lot of people have truly experienced since every bike light has categorically been a circular spot light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vwl4W171L8

Keep in mind that video is then jumping to a $120 light, and then amazon's best selling $50 light. Even if you used two of those cheaper lights you still would not be getting the light in the lower corners (along with all the residual that the camera can't pick up, but our eyes can). Same story with using two higher power more expensive lights, still just circular beam patterns.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    One thing with most the lights you listed is that beam pattern is subjective. They all can have the optics changed. The more "common" but less expensive lights dont offer this.

But like many things it's much more about user preference. Like I dont like overly wide coverage on narrow wooded trails. As well as light too close to front tire. Helmet is about the same but I personally go with more output on the helmet than the bars. Eyes naturally want to track to brighter lit area so having the extra power to throw light out ahead of the bar light you end up with a more even light coverage out ahead making it easier to keep your eyes up ahead.

As I said though, personal preference. I was stuck mostly night riding for a couple of years so had a lot of time to figure out what worked best for me.

Any of the options you listed will be far better than any low budget minded option.

Now for the options (excluding outbound as it's a completely different design) it comes down to what matters to you. Quality and performance is going to run pretty much side by side. Lumen specs are all real from MTS (DS, Theia) all through glowworm. Some price variations come from programmable drivers (MTS went 4 modes in perfect spacing with up and down mode selection to save expense and complexity) to included accessories and so on.

M-Tiger is new to the US, has been popular in Europe for some time though. Sadly most of the videos and such are not in English.

Cant go wrong with any option, just compare specs, what's included and so on judge by what matters most to you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Riding Galbraith at night? You want all the lights you can get! Personally, I started riding with Outbound recently. The “downhill combo” works amazing, but I’m not thrilled by the trail light on the bars alone. I do love the engineering behind the lights and the construction quality though. The road on the helmet is what makes it. I wear bibs with pockets in the back and just drop the battery pack down the back of the shirt and into the pocket.

And for night riding in the woods with vertical drop you just can’t have too much light imo. I think all our reputable vendors here selling lights would be able to supply you with a setup that works great, but I only have experience with Outbound. Previously I ran some custom hand made lights, and I’ve used Niterider before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    the thing that keeps me coming back to the alpha (over the OB road for instance) for a helmet light is the size (seems the most low-profile), and run-time on the 2 cell batteries. strapping a 2-cell to my helmet seems like a better option than running a wire to a larger battery in my pack. maybe the thought of a wire running from helmet to pack shouldnt be as much of a concern.

im very tempted now to buy a set (handle bar + helmet) from two manufacturers for the ole pespi challenge. i really like redundancy in our set ups, but maybe the wife will end up liking something different from me. and at worst, it seems they all offer a fair return/guarantee policy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler420 View Post
    the thing that keeps me coming back to the alpha (over the OB road for instance) for a helmet light is the size (seems the most low-profile), and run-time on the 2 cell batteries. strapping a 2-cell to my helmet seems like a better option than running a wire to a larger battery in my pack. maybe the thought of a wire running from helmet to pack shouldnt be as much of a concern.

im very tempted now to buy a set (handle bar + helmet) from two manufacturers for the ole pespi challenge. i really like redundancy in our set ups, but maybe the wife will end up liking something different from me. and at worst, it seems they all offer a fair return/guarantee policy.
    I own all the lights you mentioned you were looking at. Unfortunately the terrain where I ride (desert) is different than yours so probably best if I avoid any recommendations but can answer questions about capabilities and characteristics of each light. Anything specific you want to know?
    Mole