Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    When I'm driving ( and I drive for a living ) I ALWAYS see the front blinkies WAY before I am anywhere near them. In my opinion they are the best products made for "see me" cyclist safety.

When it comes to low powered front blinkies ( < 120 lumen ) I really don't think you can go wrong. I've never seen one that was "too slow". The one I own ( Performance Axiom ) along with the two steady modes, both of the two included flash modes have their uses. During dusk I use the normal flash mode ( ~ 2 flashes per sec. ) I know it's only listed at 70 lumen but I'm telling you it is damn bright! Very hard to miss. Mine also has a "flicker mode" which when I first bought it I thought was totally useless. Well, I couldn't of been more wrong. When mounted lower on the bike the "Flicker mode" is not bright enough to interfere with your main lights yet still remains highly visible to on-lookers ( although not annoyingly so ).

Another thing I noticed is that these lights have very good run times. I have yet to have any of my USB type lights run out of juice while on a ride.
    Cat-man-do, is this what you are talking about?
    Axiom Spark 3.0 USB Headlight - AXIOM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Cat-man-do, is this what you are talking about?
    Axiom Spark 3.0 USB Headlight - AXIOM
    No, it is this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No, it is this one.
    Thanks!

mtbr member

Day-Time Running Lights on a Bike ?

I run the same setup during the day that I do at night, only strobing the headlight.

Bars: Chinese MagicShine clone 3 CREE XLM (or is it XML? I never can remember) at about 2500 lumens on high. I strobe it during the day, which I can see reflecting on street signs 2 blocks ahead, so I figure I've got a good reach there.

Tail light: I run a Serfas thunderbolt on high solid, and a Serfas seat stay taillight on my rack on strobe.

I plan on adding more. I've got reflective tape on the chain stays and front forks, not sure where else to go except for wrapping the whole thing in an LED strip. Florida law allows a driver to get off on all accountability from an accident if they claim they didn't see you and it can be shown that it would have been "reasonable" to have not seen you. Lots of advocacy groups are working on getting that law changed, but in the mean time, I'll do what I can so that (God forbid) I ever have to prove that I made sufficient effort to be seen, it won't be a stretch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Chinese MagicShine clone 3 CREE XLM (or is it XML? I never can remember) at about 2500 lumens on high
    first of all i don't think MagicShine makes a 3 XML light ( they make 2 XML and 4 XPG lights ) so i don't know how your light can be a clone of it. secondly, real ( not clone ) 3 XML lights ( from Dinotte, Gemini and NiteRider ) put out 1200 - 1800 lumens.

mtbr member

No, it is this one.
    They sell this exact thing at Lowes, for a lot cheaper. Meant to clip onto the visor of your cap.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by androgen View Post
    first of all i don't think MagicShine makes a 3 XML light ( they make 2 XML and 4 XPG lights ) so i don't know how your light can be a clone of it. secondly, real ( not clone ) 3 XML lights ( from Dinotte, Gemini and NiteRider ) put out 1200 - 1800 lumens.
    I dunno dude. The listing called it a MagicShine clone, and was rated at 3200 Chinese lumens, so I can reasonably cut that by 500-800 lumens and be in the ballpark of its actual output.

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match on the internet. I haven't the time, energy, or desire for such things. I figured I'd toss in my bit of whatever into the vast pool of information out there. Take it or leave it, it is what it is.

mtbr member
    rated at 3200 Chinese lumens, so I can reasonably cut that by 500-800 lumens and be in the ballpark of its actual output.
    astounding logic.

with math skills like this you should be secretary of the treasury.

in fact, any man who can take one imaginary number, subtract another imaginary number and end up with a real number is automatically qualified for Nobel Prize in Economics.

so you insist that a fake Chinese light outperforms real American lights and your evidence is that fake Chinese light is lying about its performance, which proves its performance superior.

guess i'm just not smart enough to understand the logic here.

mtbr member

Do you feel better now? Will you be able to sleep soundly tonight that you have insulted one of the lowly peasants of the bike light world? I wish you a sound rest and a joyous rising.

I'm from Texas. I promise I can take more than what you can give. Have a good one, I'll see my way out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I run the same setup during the day that I do at night, only strobing the headlight.

Bars: Chinese MagicShine clone 3 CREE XLM (or is it XML? I never can remember) at about 2500 lumens on high. I strobe it during the day, which I can see reflecting on street signs 2 blocks ahead, so I figure I've got a good reach there.

Tail light: I run a Serfas thunderbolt on high solid, and a Serfas seat stay taillight on my rack on strobe.

I plan on adding more. I've got reflective tape on the chain stays and front forks, not sure where else to go except for wrapping the whole thing in an LED strip. Florida law allows a driver to get off on all accountability from an accident if they claim they didn't see you and it can be shown that it would have been "reasonable" to have not seen you. Lots of advocacy groups are working on getting that law changed, but in the mean time, I'll do what I can so that (God forbid) I ever have to prove that I made sufficient effort to be seen, it won't be a stretch.
    Nice setup. People who have never been to Florida will always underestimate the amount of light power necessary to be seen by the most idiotic collective of drivers ever assembled. That state is f'd up. Stay safe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Do fake lights emit fake photons?

Sent from my trailer using Bud Light.

mtbr member
    They sell this exact thing at Lowes, for a lot cheaper. Meant to clip onto the visor of your cap.
    I doubt they are the same size, output or quality. I've seen the cheap LED set-ups that fit on the brim of ball caps. They use AAA batteries and are bigger is size. The Axiom has four modes and a self contained rechargeable Li-ion battery. It is designed to easily mount to the bars or any metal tubing ( seatpost...chain stay...front fork...etc. ) and can pivot to be aimed. When you buy a light like the Axiom you are paying not only for the light output but for the added bells and whistles targeted for cyclists. If these are too much money you can buy similar products ( designed for bike use ) directly from the Chinese websites.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I use exactly the same light setup in the day as at night - 1500 lumens front, hotshot rear, and helmet lights front and rear on strobe. All full power.

Times have changed people. Your biggest threats are texting, distracted drivers. I commute 30 miles per day, and countless times I aim my helmet strobe at a texting driver (usually from the side, but also through rear windows etc), and he or she looks up.

It is my view that you need powerful bright strobes now to combat the distracted texting driver, day or night. Get as annoying as you can - it's your life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    I'm basically a road rider, and will pop on the taillight for certain uses. Was coaching a triathlete earlier this year and alternately used both the RZ8 and 300R, till she was strong enough and competent enough on the road.

Also use the lights for rides with slower groups where I'll ride sweep, and for a favorite ride that climbs a low pass (speed limit, 45mph), with two tunnels at the top where the bike will hit 50mph on the way down.

Since starting lite-commuting and with the more time on the road that entails, I think it best to improve lighting output, don'tcha think?

short side road

pali_dinotte300r by pigmode, on Flickr

highway

approaching summit_pali by pigmode, on Flickr

1st tunnel

descent_pali by pigmode, on Flickr

2nd tunnel

Nuuanu_Pali_%281262%29 by pigmode, on Flickr
    umm....If I had a planned ride where I knew I was going to ride through a highway tunnel like that ( I too ) would be running my best/brightest rear lights. Going through that tunnel I think ( which looks to have no shoulder? ) I would definitely be mounting my Gloworm X2 on the helmet "in reverse" and use the pulse/strobe mode to enhance my visibility. The road in the photo is the kind of road most people would not expect to see a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    I use exactly the same light setup in the day as at night - 1500 lumens front, hotshot rear, and helmet lights front and rear on strobe. All full power.

Times have changed people. Your biggest threats are texting, distracted drivers. I commute 30 miles per day, and countless times I aim my helmet strobe at a texting driver (usually from the side, but also through rear windows etc), and he or she looks up.

It is my view that you need powerful bright strobes now to combat the distracted texting driver, day or night. Get as annoying as you can - it's your life.
    yes i was looking to get a separate helmet for day use, but i ended using all my lights in the day as well as night.

i'm quite bummed that L&M Seca only flashes at 25% power.

i'm also a little bummed that Dinotte power cannot be adjusted in flashing mode ( at least it's at 100% ). if Dinotte could be adjusted in flashing mode it would be a no brainer to go with Daytime red, and then lower it at night a bit. You can still lower it at night, but only by switching to solid mode, which is less effective and more drain on battery.

the NiteFlux Red Zone 8 output CAN be adjusted in BOTH solid and flashing modes, which is awesome. but it's never bright enough in any mode anyway - day or night. the reason they needed to include the ability to reduce power is to extend the 4 hour battery life. even so, this is one area where i have to commend NiteFlux for a job well done.

i agree with your comment about being as annoying as possible. good call. i still wish i had a front light that could flash at 100%. i think NiteRider Pro is probably the way to go for that application - it has "daytime" flashing modes, and compared to Dinotte XML3 it has a wider beam. but i will not be getting anything for financial reasons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I came across this tangentially-related article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/te...road.html?_r=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2