see me rollin, they hatin

Damn Cygolite! >:(

i know i'm not the only one who's had this problem, but i wonder if it's fixable. i have the expillion, and the little port that the plug goes into, is not holding the plug anymore. the plug just falls out. you have to jam and wedge the plug up against something to even get a charge. i suspect the guts to the port have been pushed deeper into the light body, so the plug cant "click in" anymore. this light works fine and not very old. i dont want to trash it just because i cant plug it in. Has anybody dealt with this, and can the light be saved or taken apart? Its getting harder and harder to charge this thing, and eventually i fear i wont be able to anymore
    thanks snuggles.
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i know i'm not the only one who's had this problem, but i wonder if it's fixable. i have the expillion, and the little port that the plug goes into, is not holding the plug anymore. the plug just falls out. you have to jam and wedge the plug up against something to even get a charge. i suspect the guts to the port have been pushed deeper into the light body, so the plug cant "click in" anymore. this light works fine and not very old. i dont want to trash it just because i cant plug it in. Has anybody dealt with this, and can the light be saved or taken apart? Its getting harder and harder to charge this thing, and eventually i fear i wont be able to anymore
    thanks snuggles.
    i'll be honest i can't help you. but i would still be curious to see some pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Mini usb that cygolite uses has limited insert and extract cycles, they're very prone to breakage. That's why mini usb was phased out in favour of micro usb. Mini usb was once used on cellphones.

You have to replace the mini usb plug, that's done either under warranty or taking it apart and soldering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I would just contact them, hopefully they will take care of it. How long have you had the light?

see me rollin, they hatin
    i've had it over a year, but its not like i use it every day. i hardly beat on the thing. Thats interesting that i might be able to take it apart and put in a new pluggy thing. the light is far from dead, so i'd hate to trash it just from one faulty piece.
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i've had it over a year, but its not like i use it every day. i hardly beat on the thing. Thats interesting that i might be able to take it apart and put in a new pluggy thing. the light is far from dead, so i'd hate to trash it just from one faulty piece.
    if it was me i would put it on craigslist. it will be a lot harder to sell if you wait until it's dead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would call cygolite even though it is an "old" light and see what they say. They might surprise you and send you out a new one or ask you to send yours in for free repair. You won't know until you try.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Then once you get the fixed light the. You can sell it and buy something that possibly won't suffer the problem that you have experienced with the charging port.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That still seems pretty new to me.

If cygolite doesn't fix it, I would open it up and see what the problem is. You can probably glue the port in place with some epoxy and fiberglass tape.
    TowerHobbies.com | Great Planes Fiberglass Tape Medium 2"x5'

I won't go anywhere if you do that. The word "tape" is sort of a misnomer, in reality it's more of a cloth.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Cygolite hooked me up on a battery repair a while ago. 2008 or 2009 light.

If your plug is one of the 90 degree angle ones, you can also just wrap a rubber band around the light body and tuck the plug under it. I did that for a while.

Thinking about it, I think there really should be a positive lock on lights for bikes - the vibration is a tough problem for any plug.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx