Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

D/X - Nitefire Hero2 3 x XM-L U2 Triple, 2100 Lumen

Just thought I'd mention these since I've not seen them anywhere else yet.
    Similar to the Solarstorm X-2 it has the same basic features as the X-2's ( XM-L U2's, voltage leds, three modes ( L-M-H plus press to hold strobe )..thermal management..etc. )

Also of interest is that the internal circuitry is listed as 6A.
    I'm going to assume that the XM-L's are run in parallel and that each sees 2A when on high. If true this could make a very bright light! They also list the battery as 4400mAh which is more than most D/X batteries. Still not enough IMO to get decent run time but better than most crap batteries.

If I was in the market for a new light I would roll the dice on one of these ( hopefully before they sell out ) I'd love to see one of these reviewed.

(**edit...sorry, link provided a couple posts below. )
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 09-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What's about a link?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    If I was in the market for a new light I would roll the dice on one of these ( hopefully before they sell out ) I'd love to see one of these reviewed.
    I have one on order, I ordered it based on the reasons You list above, but mostly because of the beamshot
    D/X - Nitefire Hero2 3 x XM-L U2  Triple, 2100 Lumen-sku_236750_8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    What's about a link?
    NITEFIRE HERO2 3 x Cree XM-L U2 2100lm 4-Mode Cool White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I like a few things about this light, but that housing/shape is just too weird for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HakanC View Post
    I have one on order, I ordered it based on the reasons You list above, but mostly because of the beamshot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sku_236750_8.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	828603

NITEFIRE HERO2 3 x Cree XM-L U2 2100lm 4-Mode Cool White Bicycle Light - Black (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

/Håkan
    SWEDEN
    Hakan, thanks for showing that beam shot photo. Don't know how i missed seeing that. Very interesting because the hot spot looks very intense and slightly oblong. That should really give a nice spread once it starts going outward down the trail.

Sorry, I forgot to post the link but at least Hakan came through with the link..

If I can get my hands on one of these I'll do a review.

Fight, yeah it does look a little strange but not near as strange as the one that looks like a giant upsidedown pyramid ( or that other Trustfire 5-up that is an absolute monster. )

The real question is, "will the lamp hit the stem when mounted to the bars". (?). To use on my MTB I might have to use an extension because I have a feeling that my riser bars might cause a problem.

Another good question: "Is this the first Chinese triple to actually output ~ 2000 lumen"? If it is ( and it does ) you definitely are going to need either a second battery or a good 6-cell to get decent run time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Very interesting because the hot spot looks very intense and slightly oblong. That should really give a nice spread once it starts going outward down the trail.
    Yeah
    I started looking for a new light with a oval/oblong beam for a couple of months.
    First I found this light
    Name:  sku_215997_1_small.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  13.5 KB
    (See the reflector for the lower LED)
    But the light sold out before I could get my act together and order one
    LW-JD10 - DealExtreme
    But I found the light, with better beamshots, at Fasttech
    $39.68 LW-JD10 -FastTech

But the beamshots prevented me from ordering the light

It is much too round!

That is why I quickly ordered the Hero2, now I only have to wait for it to arrive.

(Sorry for the long rant)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Kir should take a look at this one (Catman's). Would go great with the 2 cases he ordered gtom Aliexpress.
    Last edited by Lichitisky; 09-28-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Especifing

mtbr member

Subscribing to this thread. This is definitely in my short list.

I need lots of light on the bars.

The quad xml t6 i have could be better. This looks like a nice alternative.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Subscribing too :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    Subscribing to this thread. This is definitely in my short list.

I need lots of light on the bars.

The quad xml t6 i have could be better. This looks like a nice alternative.
    I'll be comparing the Hero 2 to the quad XM-L. Still waiting for the H2 to arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I received my light some time a go, in real life the beam is round, not (slightly) oblong as in the photo in #3
    I have not used it on my bike yet, but when using it in my backyard it is a strong focused light beam.

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Makes sense, the beamshot is probably too close to the wall for it to focus hence the oblong shape, when in reality when focused it's a typical oval shape. I'd be interested in the internals and pill design for heat distribution. It can be driven as hard as it wants, but the lumens and efficiency will drop dramatically if it isn't well designed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hakan, how bright is it compared to the solarstorm X2?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    (Sorry for my late reply)

I can't say, because I don't have a Solarstorm X2

But compared to my Magicshine MJ-808E it is MUCH brighter and with a tighter beam.
    Brightness is around +130% greater according to my Lux-meter

/Håkan
    SWEDEN

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What would be really great to know is how well it performs relatively to turn on to say 30 seconds, at 5 mins, 10 mins, 15mins. Would give us some kind of indication as to how well it manages heat and if the driver is efficient/regulates performance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Hakan.

I have to say it's sort of a disappointment to me personally that this light has a tighter beam than the 808E. I know this will get fans of the super-spot all excited, but not me. I was really hoping this light would give the new glowworm triple a run for it's money, but now I highly doubt it.

On the plus side it's going to make you look like something out of Star Trek if you mount this on your helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whokilledJR View Post
    What would be really great to know is how well it performs relatively to turn on to say 30 seconds, at 5 mins, 10 mins, 15mins. Would give us some kind of indication as to how well it manages heat and if the driver is efficient/regulates performance.
    patience my friend; I'll be doing a thermal test as soon as mine arrives. If these are anything like the SSX2's don't expect great heat sinking. Still even with heat losses they should still be bright. ...How bright? That is the golden question.

mtbr member

patience my friend; I'll be doing a thermal test as soon as mine arrives. If these are anything like the SSX2's don't expect great heat sinking. Still even with heat losses they should still be bright. ...How bright? That is the golden question.
    You get that light yet? Is there an xml2 version of this one yet? Im getting impatient .

Maybe I just grab two of the SSX2 xml2's and run them off a 6 pack of 18650s.

mtbr member

Nitefire Hero2 triple XM-L U2 : It's here

Finally arrived. I planned to do a night ride with the H2 this weekend. Tonight I did some shine-arounds while at work. I'll not comment too much till I get more of a look and do my review but as expected the H2 is very much like the SSX2 only brighter.

I will say that no way does the SSX2 or the Nitefire H2 ( NFH2) have a beam pattern like the MJ-808E. The 808E has a much narrower beam pattern. Apples to oranges.

mtbr member
    Didn't get a chance to try it last weekend due to bad weather. Sadly this weekend might be the same but crossing my fingers. Saturday might be a go. I want to give this lamp another try on the helmet. I did another shine around tonight and this time not as much stuff floating around in the air. The Hero2 will throw pretty far but the light pattern is very dispersed when aimed for distance. Hard to know how this will translate while on a trail. Will I be able to clearly define objects/terrain at distance or will the light be too faded out to give details? I won't have that answer till I get a chance to try it on some really open terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here is an updated version of tha Solar Storm x3 or whatever its name is
    Super 5000 Lumens 3xCREE XM L L2 LED Bicycle Bike Cycling Head HeadLamp Lamp HeadLight 6400mAh Battery light Black-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com
    Looks slightly less of a medieval cutting device

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Interested to see how these compare to the 3x round clones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I'll comment about that later when I come home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Just doing a quick comparison inside my home I noticed that the NF Hero2 is obviously brighter...BUT....I think is due to the fact that the H2's driver is pumping out more amps. A lot to be said for the basic 3X ( tri ) clones. I notice that when I switch the tri-clone from single led to two leds ( or all three ) that the beam pattern becomes wider. Must be something about the tri-reflector configuration that shoots a little more light to the sides. That said I'm thinking of buying one of the "stepless" Tri-clones just so I can see how they compare. Yep, time to order a couple Christmas toys before it gets too late.

The over-all beam pattern of the tri-clone is pretty good, nice mix of flood and throw. Good beam pattern coming off the bars. After shining the H2 around tonight I'm still not sure how I want to use it. Only way I'm going to get that answer is on a bike. Sadly weather is not looking good for tomorrow night. Suppose to be windy. Not a good idea to be goofing around in the woods with high winds blowing around. I wouldn't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and have a *tree fall on me. ( Hey, it happens )...of course trees can fall at any time but nothing more scarier that being back in the woods during high winds and hearing the creaking of all the trees as you're riding down the trail. ( * also, doesn't have to be the whole tree, a good size limb can kill you just as well. )

mtbr member
    Continued comment from last post:

I finally had to take the Hero2 out for a trial run on the paved trails behind where I live. I chose to compare it to my Gloworm X2 (v3) with both lamps mounted on the bars. After giving it a good look-see it seems my initial observation has been confirmed. The Nitefire Hero2 ( or H2 for short ) with it's three mini reflectors has a very forward throwing beam pattern. Though it has some side spill overall it is found lacking in this area IMO. While you get a very bright area in front of the bike that reaches quite a distance, every time I made a turn I would find myself not having enough light to see through the turns. Now if you use a helmet lamp in combo than this of course is not so much an issue. The Gloworm on the other hand is about as bright as the H2 but otherwise has a much more evenly distributed beam pattern with more light out to the sides. This makes the GW a much more desirable bar mounted system. (*Note, Gloworm X2 used with one spot and one flood optic )

The next test will be using the H2 as a helmet lamp. Admittedly I probably won't like using it this way as I am heavily biased toward lamps that offer more of a "tight" spot pattern. The H2 just has a beam pattern that is not really a flood and not really a spot. Finding the best way to use it is turning out to be harder than expected.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it will be more useful on the helmet. It should provide a nice wide spot when navigating curvy terrain that is more closer to the bike. Still when used on the helmet it will probably lack the ability to detail the stuff farther out (*which is the way I usually prefer ). As others have pointed out this is not always an issue when riding single track with shorter lines of sight. When used in combo with another lamp on the bars the H2 ( helmet mounted ) might still be able to highlight those far ( >200ft ) obstacles in the trail but I'll have to wait till the next ride to know for certain. In a couple weeks I have some days off from work so if the conditions allow I hope to get some trail time in and some better answers.

Set-up for the next ride will be as follows; SSX2 clone on the bars with the H2 on the helmet. I figure the brighter / wider spot of the H2 when used on the helmet will compensate for the equally limiting beam pattern of the SSX2 on the bars. If the H2 is going to impress me I'm not going to give it the advantage of working with the Gloworm to help it out. That just wouldn't be right.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-02-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast