Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 30 of 30
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,925
    Hey Cat...
    Did you ever get a chance to compare the H2 against the original 3x clone in the real world?
    And did you ever get the stepless 3x?

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Hey Cat...
    Did you ever get a chance to compare the H2 against the original 3x clone in the real world?
    And did you ever get the stepless 3x?
    Yes, I did...the H2 is brighter than the typical tri-clone. The Tri-clone on the other hand has a beam pattern more conducive to bar use ( because it's a wider beam pattern ). No, I never did order the stepless but I am still considering it. I figure the stepless Tri will have a better beam pattern than a typical tri-clone because all the LED operate full time on all modes.

    If everything goes right I'll be taking the H2 out tonight for it's first test as a helmet lamp. Not sure what conditions the trails will be in since the last snow ( last Tuesday ) so if it's a mud-fest I'll likely have to bail. I'll be using the SSX2 on the bars. Since both lamps really don't have a great close-in perimeter spill radius I figured having the brighter H2 on the helmet will help compensate once I start moving my head around. When I head back I'll likely switch positions and note which made the more sense.

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671

    Nitefire Hero2 plus Solarstorm X2 ( clone ) night ride

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Yes, I did...the H2 is brighter than the typical tri-clone. The Tri-clone on the other hand has a beam pattern more conducive to bar use ( because it's a wider beam pattern ). No, I never did order the stepless but I am still considering it. I figure the stepless Tri will have a better beam pattern than a typical tri-clone because all the LED operate full time on all modes.

    If everything goes right I'll be taking the H2 out tonight for it's first test as a helmet lamp. Not sure what conditions the trails will be in since the last snow ( last Tuesday ) so if it's a mud-fest I'll likely have to bail. I'll be using the SSX2 on the bars. Since both lamps really don't have a great close-in perimeter spill radius I figured having the brighter H2 on the helmet will help compensate once I start moving my head around. When I head back I'll likely switch positions and note which made the more sense.
    Continued from my last post ( above ):

    Despite over-sleeping again I took the H2 and SSX2 out for a night ride on some local trails. While setting up the H2 for the helmet I really thought I might notice the extra weight but once I got out on the trails I really didn't think about it one bit ( which was good ).

    The trails that I rode were mostly damp and slightly muddy in some spots. This made riding a bit more tedious than usual and since I haven't ridden in a while I figured to keep the ride short (~1hr ). Temperature was an unseasonal 54F. Luckily I didn't see too much mud. The trails I rode were twisty, moist, rooty and leafy. With that in mind the "reflectivity" factor of the trail surface was very low. At least the leaf cover was mostly broken up and so it was not too hard to follow the trail as it weaved it's way among the trees.

    The H2 ( on helmet ) and SSX2 combo worked very well together. As expected the wider beam pattern of the H2 ( wide spot ) kept me seeing everything no matter how leafy or twisty the trail got. The SSX2 on the bars worked amazingly well. I really thought I was going to miss my Gloworm X2 but that just didn't happen. Matter of fact if anything, the SSX2 impressed me as to how well the cheap SSX2 ( clone ) was working. After doing some comparisons ( H2 vs. SSX2 ) I finally decided that it would of been better if the SSX2 had been on the helmet. All things considered both ways worked fine but the X2 has a bit brighter more focused intensity in it's hot spot although the H2 ( when in high mode ) is brighter over-all.

    Ever since I took the front off the X2 it seems to be brighter. Perhaps I just got the emitters more centered which resulted in the beam pattern being more intense ...whatever. Hey, if it worked with the X2 I figure I might give it a shot with the H2 triple as well and see what happens. If I'm lucky I might get a more intense spot pattern. If so that might add to it's usefulness as a helmet lamp.

    Ended up having a great time. Heck, it was so warm I had to remove my jacket/gloves so I could vent some heat. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I might go out again for another night spin.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,925
    Thanks for the update.
    I love the SSx2 on the helmet...nice strong spot and a nice upgrade from the Hi-Max U2 single ( which is a great light)
    Looking for more light from the bars...where I have the original round 3x clone.
    Still a great light....but I always want more...

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,671
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    I love the SSx2 on the helmet...nice strong spot and a nice upgrade from the Hi-Max U2 single ( which is a great light)
    Looking for more light from the bars...where I have the original round 3x clone.
    Still a great light....but I always want more...
    If you have one of the original tri-clones, coupled with the SSX2 on the helmet I would think that a very nice combo.

    I took a look at the front of the Hero2 and noticed that the reflectors are sitting a least a couple mm off the emitter. Looks like they are using small white plastic washers to sit the reflectors on. This helps explain the soft area in the center spot which personally I don't like. Not that it's that big of an issue but my bet is that if can get the emitter closer to the lip of the reflector that the hot spot will be a little more intense. I should be able to accomplish that by replacing the washer with a flatter insulating washer ( what is typically used in torches ) and using a fatter washer near the glass outer lens to keep things from moving once I replace the outer lens.

    Real problem is the bolts on the front. I don't know where they found these but these are the smallest allen bolts I've ever seen. Assuming these are metric, the smallest wrench I have at the moment is 1.5mm and THAT is damn small if I do say so. These must be 1mm. I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have a hard time finding one so small. Perhaps a hobby store? Probably a good place to start and while I'm there I might pick up a magnifying lens head set so I can see what the hell I'm doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody use the photo mode of the go-pro hero2?
    By TwoNin9r in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM
  2. Got around 2100, which full sus 29er?
    By em6901 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM
  3. Hero2 footage from BCT
    By FMX_DBC in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM
  4. GoPro Hero2 Question...
    By bazooka_beard in forum Arizona
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •