Now older but less slow!

Cygolite TridenX 1100

I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get hold of and try out the CygoLite TridenX 1100 lamp yet?

I currently have a Mitycross 350 and 480OSP and I'm thinking of staying in the family with the TridenX 1100 which I would mount on the bars.

I'm expecting this light to have a wide flood and an pretty decent throw based on specs. Can anyone confirm that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Haven't seen the 1100 yeat, but did just get to check out the Mitycross 800, which has all the same characteristics of the 480, just much brighter. I would imagine the 1100 would follow suit to the older TridentX which was slightly wider than the Mitycross, and the throw was about the same.

I was hoping that the 1100 would have a diffused center to create a little more wash close up, but, based on pictures, that doesn't seem to be the case. I suppose it is possible that they played with the reflector to change the beam pattern.

mtbr member
    loved my original tridenx, cant imagine this would be anything but even better.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Been looking at this one myself, can get one for about $250 delivered not much more than the lesser known stuff which always seem to have one or more missing features(modes etc). Plus this has a much better(and lower) helmet mount.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    I would imagine the 1100 would follow suit to the older TridentX which was slightly wider than the Mitycross, and the throw was about the same.

I was really hoping for something significantly wider and longer that the Mitycross. If it is only slightly wider and about the same in distance then that would be disappointing. However, I would expect the "throw" to be further as the unit is over twice as bright as my 480. That's reasonable assumption yes?

My preference is distance. On the current lights (350 bar/480 helmet) they lose it when I start to gover 20 mph. At 25+mph visibility for speed starts to get iffy and at 30+mph I have to ride using the force and trust the trail I know which considering there is a trail where I hit 37mph at night can be terrifying .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I was really hoping for something significantly wider and longer that the Mitycross. If it is only slightly wider and about the same in distance then that would be disappointing. However, I would expect the "throw" to be further as the unit is over twice as bright as my 480. That's reasonable assumption yes?

My preference is distance. On the current lights (350 bar/480 helmet) they lose it when I start to gover 20 mph. At 25+mph visibility for speed starts to get iffy and at 30+mph I have to ride using the force and trust the trail I know which considering there is a trail where I hit 37mph at night can be terrifying .
    In the past, they offered "flood" and "throw" lenses so you could choose.
    "It looks flexy"

Now older but less slow!
    Well after weighing the pros and cons of this light versus the Magicshine 880 light I decided to order the TridenX 1100 Xtra.

I'll let you know what it is like when I get it.

Now older but less slow!
    I just did my first ride with the TridenX 1100 Xtra.

I really like this thing! I'm very impressed with it.

I'm tired and its late now so I will update tomorrow.

mtbr member
    How's the light color? The only criticism I could find is the Cygo's tend towards very cool white, instead of a nice neutral white.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    How's the light color? The only criticism I could find is the Cygo's tend towards very cool white, instead of a nice neutral white.
    To be honest I am not sure; I'll try to evaluate this more on my next ride. I was happy that it seemed to integrate with my MityCross 480 better than the 480 integrates with the 350.

What I did notice is that on lower settings it appeared very warm - almost yellowish - but this was only noticeable after runs on the higher 800 and 1100 setting. When I first started out on low and medium I did not notice this so it may be that the higher settings are more white than the lower settings but you only notice this on the lower settings once you come off high. Makes sense?

I did not think the color was a bluish white. I noticed a lot more trail definition across all settings and the trail did not seem washed out. Whether this is color or just a better beam pattern I am not sure.

As for beam pattern I was very pleased with the way it worked on the bars. I could move my bars a good 20 degrees or so from straight as I maneuvered the bike around rocks with no discernable loss of lighting on the trail. After that it would trail off to about 50 degrees from straight when it would be fairly dark. Consequently when climbing on single track at about 6-11 mph I was quite comfortable with riding on just the bar lights at a medium setting (400). Wide trails were good to say 20 mph on this setting. Faster singletrack (12-20mph) were good on high (800) and full on high speed descents (20+ mph) were great at 1100 lumens. Wide track at speed is fine with just the lights bar mounted. High speed on single track I would complement with my MityCross480 on high for a total of 1580 lumens. Amazingly the 480 did not get lost in the 1100 light but added just enough more definition when picking out where I wanted to go. It was all very seamless.

I also noticed that as the bike followed contours that the TridenX beam was less affected than my prior MityCross so i would say that it has good vertical beam spread as well. Now a caveat; my trails here in Colorado are very open with few trees and a lack of tight turns/switchbacks so it is relatively easy for me to ride with just a bar light. For the times the trails do get tight I still use my helmet light and would never ride without it. If you ride a lot in tight woodland with lots of turns then you may want to complement the TridenX with a stronger helmet light. I would imagine that the MityCross 800 would be a perfect companion!

The first few miles on my ride are on wide multiuse trails. I ran the light on Low (100) and found this to be clearer than when I ran my MityCross 480 on medium. While I think the MC480 has higher lumens on medium than the TridenX1100 on low, the TridenX has a better beam which just seems to make it feel brighter.

If you start off on low these settings seem very bright for the lumen and run time. But after running on high or boost the low settings can seem a bit dim once you come off your high speed runs. I guess the pupil in the eye constricts with the high/boost brightness and when you come off that to go back to low/medium it takes a moment (perhaps 30 seconds) for your eye to open up again and get used to the lower intensity light. Consequently I think the 1100 output on this is great. Any higher would just cause the eye to close up more negating some of the benefits of the brigher light, especially if you are like me and like to run your lights as dim as possible so that your eyes can adjust to the star/moon light to take in the terrain when on non "critical" trails.

mtbr member
    Sounds good, how's the throw? Possible to use this as only light for helmet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Sounds good, how's the throw? Possible to use this as only light for helmet?
    Yes, I used to with mine. It's a tiny bit heavy but not bad.
    "It looks flexy"

Now older but less slow!
    What do you want by throw?

If you want a tightly focused spot a long way out then it won't give you that.

What it gives is just a continuous beam of light that gradually fades off into the distance. No hot spots anywhere. For distance I found it fine for my max speed of 28mph.

If you are a roadie and you are hitting 40+ regularly then you may want a light with a tighter spot. For me on my MTB I found the "throw" fine but I was not after a spot.

As for a helmet only light, while small for its power I am not sure I would want that head on my helmet at 120 odd grams. It would probably be fine though. I love it as a bar mounted light however. Still I never ride with only one light. Usually I have bar, helmet and two flashlights in my pack.

mtbr member
    I actually like the beam more spread out like that, just as long as it gets out some useful distance, I'll be using it for trails like yours not much trees around here, rocks are the main focus. I would probably only use this as "only" for a short bit, as I downselect on what I want for a more spottish oriented helmet light.

Thanks for the review/comments.