Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

CygoLite Centauri 1000.

I was down at Mec the other day and had the Centauri 1000 in my hands.For all those who loved the Triden X,first impressions are you will love this new offering from CygoLite.The quality feel of the lamp head is second to none,but as there was about a 1/2 million lumens worth of flourescent lighting, and i wasn't able to see the beam.

Has anyone tried this light yet? What are your impressions?

mtbr member
    I'm still riding a TridenX and it's my floody bar light. I love the light pattern! If the C-1000 is really double the light then WOW.

BTW, I did have a battery problem with my Cygolite from last year to this year. They sent me a new one no more questions asked. I'm sold on them.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeh i agree, hope to hear from some new owners to get their review. Not sure on how the pricing is in the U.S. from when the Triden X first came out compared to the C-1000,but in Vancouver at Mec luckily they priced the two the same at $399:00 CAD.Good bang for the $$$,maybe only the Dinotte 1200+ has it beat.Still no problems with my Triden X,(knock on wood) as one of my riding buddy's is now the new owner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Meh, my two $40 flashlights put out as much light for much cheaper. I'm local and MEC is one of the decent place to shop but lights ain't it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Hello everyone

I just order this light Centauri 1000 and will receive it tomorrow for use on Thursday Night ride. I will post feedback as soon as I get it and use it..

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Great light. Just got back from a 2.5 hour ride with it. It has one of the smoothest beams I've seen. Floody, amazing tint. Pair it with a Mitycross 400 and smile.

I ran it on high at times, mostly med-high. It's my new favorite bar light, and I've had plenty. I like the beam more than that of my NR Pro 1400. The Centauri would not make a good helmet light though since it is too much flood for that. I'll post more details tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I just finished looking at the 1000 on the CygoLite web site. This is one nice looking light. I love all the user programable stuff it has. Not sure what LED is uses, either P-7 or MC-E but it sure would be nice to know for sure ( including what bins ). Take a look at the You tube link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Guys does this light come almost fully charge from Cygolite?? I plug mine in to charge and not even 20 min later the charger indicator turns green meaning fully charge..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFiPRO29er
    Guys does this light come almost fully charge from Cygolite?? I plug mine in to charge and not even 20 min later the charger indicator turns green meaning fully charge..
    Probably. I think the best state to keep the batteries is something like 70-90% charged.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just call Cygolite and yes they come fully charge from them.
    Where is the best place to place the battery pack. I try up my seat post but the cord is not long enough. I think on the stem of the handlebar and just zip- tied the extra length of cord would that be a good place????

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    I just finished looking at the 1000 on the CygoLite web site. This is one nice looking light. I love all the user programable stuff it has. Not sure what LED is uses, either P-7 or MC-E but it sure would be nice to know for sure ( including what bins ). Take a look at the You tube link.
    MCE with Carclo lens and boomerang reflector (one on each side). Pretty standard off-the-shelf components, the circuit is most likely proprietary though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cygolite also told me that they had an interdependent company to test the 1000 lumen claim and it pass the test.

mtbr member
    Love my Centauri! Only had it out for 1 mtn bike ride, but have done a number of road rides with it. Paired with the Mitycross helmet light, you can't go wrong. I've had a few runs up over 45MPH on unlit roads and never thought twice about the speed because the light is so bright and the beam is so good (pattern and color).
    I am not sure I need any more light than this provides, and the overall quality seems to be top notch.
    Have at it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFiPRO29er
    I just call Cygolite and yes they come fully charge from them.
    Where is the best place to place the battery pack. I try up my seat post but the cord is not long enough. I think on the stem of the handlebar and just zip- tied the extra length of cord would that be a good place????
    The battery looks very similar to my Triden X, i had strapped the battery to my top tube a few " away from my head set and had just enough cord to wrap around the stem trunk once and plug into the lamp head. Not the most tidy but did the job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey, I am new to the forum. I am looking at the TridenX extra or the Centauri paired with the Mittycross 320 for a 24 hour race. Cygolite states the TridenX is designed for 24 hour racers (to do a full race on one charge). I am just seeing what others thoughts are on this. The Mitty will be my helmet light (set on that one), but which would you recommend for the bar? Price difference from by LBL is only $35, so it is now just a matter of which one is better for the application.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi rcdenn01, first i was wondering why not step up to the MityCross 400 pretty much same price if you haven't already purchased instead of the 320?

I had the TridenX Extra and loved it. And now the new TridenX is equipped with XPG emitters with claimed 750 lumens.I would say that would be OTF lumens, as most other company's claim closer to 1000 lumens with that set up.Just depends on how hard their been driven.

I'm a lumen hog and normally wouldn't give it any thought and for the small difference in $$$ would recommend the Centauri 1000.But for a 24 hour race the new TridenX may be a better choice.The XPG emitters are very efficient at a lower setting than the emitters in the Centauri,and will still put out a lot of light.For that reason, i think would be a better fit for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    indebt, thanks. I talked to someone at cygolite about the uses and decided on the TridenX. He advised me to make sure I got the new version, as both the 600 and 750 are floating around at the same price.

I saw a price difference of $50 on the mittycross's. I am trying to be somewhat price conscience on this. I iust figured for the helmet, the lower lumes was not a big deal. I will check with the LBL before ordering though. Maybe their is less price difference for him. I know he is pricing it just over cost for himself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Your welcome rcdenn01, hopefully you were able to get the Mitycross 400 as it would be a much better match with the XPG version of the Triden X, and have two sets of lights that can easily be programed on the fly. You will have to let us know what you think of your new purchases after your first ride.Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Will do. I am planning on ordering them in a week or two. My LBL does not stock them (more of a roadie shop).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    At 2:52 in the video is has a segment of someone riding a slightly overgrown trail. The light looks - I'm not way way saying it's horrible or anything, but like it has a slightly "flashlight" pattern to the beam or something.

I noticed because I'm trying to find a light with the smoothest beam with the least hotspot possible...I wonder if the Centauri 1000 or the TridenX will have a smooth and less "hotspoty" beam pattern?...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I got a road ride on the TridenX 750. I would consider it certainly bright enough for trail use. Not the brightest light I have seen, but when you consider weight, cost, run time, and all it is a great deal particularly for a 24 hour race. Waiting on the Mitycross 380 to get in. Once they are both here I am going to hit the trails and see how they work together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdenn01 View Post
    Well I got a road ride on the TridenX 750.
    Oooh...I don't suppose you live in the US? And in Minnesota?

Where are you that you were able to find one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Paul, I hope this is not a double post. I live in KY. I got it at my LBL. You can order from him and he will ship it to you. www dot bikesonmain dot com. (sorry, I have not posted enough in the forums to post links yet) You will have to call him though as it is not something he stocks. He sells merchandise online too, so I doubt it would be a problem. I can vouch that it is a good bricks and mortar LBL. You may not be supporting your local shop, but at least it is a local shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey, thanks for writing back and letting me know! :-)

Since it's not in MN I'll probably just wait though...I own way to many bike lights as it is, and I'd like a chance to demo it before I buy it and return it if it doesn't work out. I've only actually returned 1 bike light I've purchased (out of like 5), but I like the option to be there in case it's really truly terrible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, first trail ride on the TridenX 750. I have to say, it was pretty sweet. I can say that if I purchased this for just recreational riding I would be pretty pissed I didn't get the Centauri or even the new NiteRiders (although I am hesitant about the NiteRiders quality control). It certainly is bright enough for twisty singletrack and does fine bombing down wide open doubletrack, but I think more is always preferable when hitting high speeds. Just FYI, I used it in conjunction with a NiteRider cordless 250 on the helmet until I get the MityCross 380.

Pros: It was bright enough for trail use, no matter the speed. There was a noticeable spot in the center with ample spread that highlighted outer portions of the trail. It is super light! The battery will run up to 24 hours on low. The build quality looks solid. The handlebar mount is very sturdy (I was not worried about it slipping at all). The helmet mount was a little wimpy, but no more than any other I have seen. The battery mount is simple, but solid. The OSP technology is nice and I think I will use it on a couple settings.

Cons: It could be brighter. The pre-programmed Med-High and Med-Low settings are very close. There is a huge jump from Med-Low to Low. Of course, I can change this so it is really not a huge deal. I found the 250 lumen helmet light I was running overpowered the light when on full power. Easy fix, run the helmet at lower power. It just points out that the light is not super bright.

Overall I am happy with my choice. I think this light will work great in a 24 hour race, which is what I purchased it for. I am curious how it will pair with the Mitycross 380 since the 250 lumen Niterider overpowered the light on high. Maybe the beam pattern will differ enough. Keep in mind, when I say overpower I simply mean it overpowered the light right in front of the wheel which messed with depth perception some.

Well, can't wait for the next night ride with the full setup. The Mitycross should be home tomorrow and ready to roll for an early morning ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast