Thread: Cygolite 740

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cygolite 740

Looking for a light with a longer throw than my Cygolite Mity Cross. Moving the Mity Cross to the handlebars once a get a brighter helmet beacon. Feeling brand loyal as the Mity Cross has been and still continues to be a great light with zero problems. Anyone have any comments about the 740 re: reliability, throw, brightness, etc.

Thanks
    urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have XTRA 740 turbo mounted on my helmet. It's an insane light and I love it. I don't know much about lights, or anything else to compare it to, as I've only owned planet bike front lights (junk). the 740 is very bright. It's small and looks awesome too.It's extremely bright and I get comments about how bright it is, from other cylists and drivers, countless times every week. Many times I'm even called an a***hole for having such a light, but it always makes me laugh out loud because then I know the purpose of the light has been successful: to be seen!!! Flash mode is excruciating to the eyes w/ direct contact, so I keep it lowered to avoid direct eye contact with drivers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply Surly Troll. Is the helmet mount working well for your 740?

urmb
    Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
    Theodore Roethke

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have the 740 Xtra mounted on the bars. It's a great light- lots of output for a long time- hard to find on other light manufacturers. I feel like it's a great value for what you get.

My one critique is that the beam is a pretty focused spot, whereas I would prefer a little more flood for a handlebar light. Would be amazing for a helmet light no doubt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply Mowerman. Your con is my pro. I want a spot. The Mitycross 400 is a broader beam; hence why I want to use a spot with it. Quality is great. Had the Mity cross for 2 years now. Ride 3-5 dark morning rides a week over the winter using the Mitycross. Battery has outlasted buddies one year old magicshine copy.

urmb
    Theodore Roethke

Now older but less slow!
    I have the MityCross 350 and 480osp.

I've been wanting something with more throw but also a fair degree of flood. I considered the MityCross 800 as well as the gloworm x2 and Magicshine 880. In the end I ordered the Cygolite TridenX 1100 Xtra. I will mount that to the bars and use the 480 on my helmet. I should get the light in a few days so I should be able to let you know how it is at the end if the week. I'm a bit worried that my 480 will get lost in the light of the TridenX but for my trails that is not a big deal.

Now older but less slow!
    As for the Cygolite batteries the one from my 350 is going on four years now. The 480 is just a year old but I night bike pretty much twice a week throughout the year so I am pleased with their longevity.