Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    It seems to me that what Magicshine is eliminating to save money is an expensive battery and charger. I have one of the original MS, and a Cateye doubleshot that I picked up when they first came out.

The Cateye has a nice theromocouple state of charge sensor on the battery, and a charger that uses it to 'know' the battery is fully charged and never overcharge it. I've had the thing for 6 years and it's still going strong (and I get a consistent run time on it of ~5.5 hours, with the MS it varies more than that). MS uses 4 commercial cells stuck in a battery holder, with a off-the-shelf charger that is either over- or not fully charging the battery. I doubt the MS batteries will last as long as the Cateyes, though I don't know for sure, because they were recalled.

So the question is, which is better: a battery that basically lasts forever (or at least much longer), and costs $100, or one that you know will need replacement every 3-4 years and costs $40?
    Personally, I don't look at lights as a particularly long-term purchase anymore; kind of like a cell phone, no point in building something to last for 10 years, if it's going to be obsolete in 2-3.
    The thing about batteries, though is that new tech is being developed at snail's pace when compared to the rest of the electronics market. Thus a battery which lasts a good few years would be appreciated. Rather than becoming obsolete it would become even more useful as LEDs reduce their power needs.
    Click the thumbs up button if you have a thumb...

Lumen Guinea Pig

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by GraXXoR View Post
    The thing about batteries, though is that new tech is being developed at snail's pace when compared to the rest of the electronics market. Thus a battery which lasts a good few years would be appreciated. Rather than becoming obsolete it would become even more useful as LEDs reduce their power needs.
    Very true GraXXor. It took 20 years for a mobile phone that was essentially powered by a 15kg car battery(jammed in a briefcase) to get to where we are today. If you said to me back then you can have a cell phone the size of your palm in full colour with 3 days standby time, I would have asked you to stop smoking that stuff.

Good and appropriate chargers are very important - it's one of those items which gets the least attention in a bike light. Wouldn't it be great to have smart chargers for ever light set which maximizes the charge in the batteries plus balance for optimum performance? Ideal and economic reality unfortunately don't go always hand in hand. "Turnigy standard" chargers would be ideal - we have that with some DIY light builders in Australia. I'm in the opinion a good charger can get you up to another hour of runtime without risking damage. I believe cheap chargers "play it safe".

My Cateye Li-ion batteries and chargers are still working fine although I never use them - 10 years on. It's a waste to throw them but they won't be worth $20 on eBay so I'll keep them for my museum. My old Nitelights(old 1st Gen Magicshine) batteries are still soldiering like troopers. No issues whatsoever since 2008. I'm sure many will concur.

Hey GraXXor, probably should post this in Gloworm thread but have you considered "stacking" your X2s and putting the Mickey Mouse on the helmet. This way you get an inline concentration of light from immediate to distance of the P7. Probably worth a try. This is how I put on 856 on top of another a while back. Have the bottom X2 as forward as possible to clear the brake cables etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The current lighting market: what are we really getting for the $$?-2011-11-28-20.07.34.jpg  

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicshine Australia View Post

Hey GraXXor, probably should post this in Gloworm thread but have you considered "stacking" your X2s and putting the Mickey Mouse on the helmet. This way you get an inline concentration of light from immediate to distance of the P7. Probably worth a try. This is how I put on 856 on top of another a while back. Have the bottom X2 as forward as possible to clear the brake cables etc.
    Yep, probably better over there, but I'm sure the same people are reading both threads.

Interesting setup, but TBH, might as well have them side by side because the 10cm horizontal and vertical gap between the two is almost inconsequential when compared with the width of the beams. Sure does look cooler than having the two horizontally orientated lights at different attitudes.

I would try the mickey on my helmet, but it's rather big, heavy and I'd look a total pillock, to boot.

rep for the nice setup and advice, tho!.

Lumen Guinea Pig

I would try the mickey on my helmet, but it's rather big, heavy and I'd look a total pillock, to boot.

Looks quite cool actually. Try direct mount to lower the profile. Like this. Tell me she looks like a pillock and I will relay it to her....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The current lighting market: what are we really getting for the $$?-2011-09-19-17.03.40.jpg  

The current lighting market: what are we really getting for the $$?-dsc03337.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I buy MS lights because I see lights as disposable products. I'll use it for a year, by then the battery will not last as long, the light will have taken a few tumbles, dropkicked a few times, and I'll be ready for shiny, new, more powerful, longer lasting rather than upset that my $1000 investment is obsolete.

I'll then dump it for $25 and get new and shinier for $100.

-Toim

night riding enthusiast

Smile Nice

Looks quite cool actually. Try direct mount to lower the profile. Like this. Tell me she looks like a pillock and I will relay it to her....
    Erm... Just to point out, I said I'd look like a pillock

Nice mount-job. Looks a bit "much" is all. I'd prefer something a little lower profile.

Out of interest, what mode does she use while it's on her noggin?
    But you have got me curious now: I've got four 4-cell MS batteries lying around.
    I might run one from a backpack on an extension cable.

Just hope nobody sees me... oh wait...

night riding enthusiast
    You gave me an idea. I took the mount off the bottom of my 816, stuck a spongy rubber adhesive pad to the top of the helmet and mounted the light upside down using a long, thick elastic band.
    The 816's cable is just long enough to reach into my pocket, perfect length.
    I'm going to try it out on the riverbank tomorrow night.
    With my dual X2 gloworms on the bar, the whole thing should be quite bright.
    A little concerned about rain getting into the bottom of the 816. So I will seal the holes with a little bit of putty.

Photos to come...

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Out of interest, what mode does she use while it's on her noggin?

Just hope nobody sees me... oh wait...
    The 816 used to be our standard helmet mount light till the 880 came along. We run them in all modes - all on high mainly. The best feature is when resting. Mode through to Mickey's ears only then dim it down to the lowest.

The remote is what I miss in the 880. Having it by the side makes it easy to cycle through modes and vary the brightness. Yes, the cable is long enough without an extension cable.

As for being seen, it's used in the night isn't it? Who's able to see shapes of any light unit when it's on.

Turning it upside down is no problem. You just need a drop of silicone on the holes. Maybe even tap another thread on the "top" which is now going to be the underside and have the mount there.

What has this discussion have to do with "The current lighting market: what are we getting for the $$". Getting extended value from something you thought had no further value by innovating and reusing.

mtbr member
    Which model is that helmet? I can't seem to find it on the Met website.
    Negative rep, please.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    Which model is that helmet? I can't seem to find it on the Met website.
    It's an old MET Ippogriffo - it's an obsolete model. Had that for more than 12 years, I think. I've been searching for a new one just like that but with no luck. I am currently waiting for the new MET Veleno Matt Black from the UK.

MET and some other helmets have that center crossover so you can mount lights directly using o-rings. Besides this, I love their design and vents that really cool - you'll feel the difference compared to other brands and designs. Threw away the Limar Carbon- good riddance.

Another view with Mickey on top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The current lighting market: what are we really getting for the $$?-2011-09-19-17.03.57.jpg  

night riding enthusiast
    I won't be needing a new reversed mount. I just need a stronger rubber band.

Screen shots as promised.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑  Click on the icon to see my flickr set...

See, I told you I'd look a pillock. I've turned all red out of embarrassment.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    I won't be needing a new reversed mount. I just need a stronger rubber band.

Screen shots as promised.

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑  Click on the icon to see my flickr set...

See, I told you I'd look a pillock. I've turned all red out of embarrassment.
    It's not too bad - my eyes have problem with Mickey on his head! Look, it if makes you feel better, look at it as "prototype". It's raw, it's work-in-progress and it's working!

Post your beamshots back in the Gloworm thread, I think. I am sure the embarassment will pass once the 816 on the helmet gives you extended distance you've been missing out on for the past few weeks - especially since it's elevated now.

Will wait for the beamshots. Ride safe and don't fall in the river.
    Last edited by Magicshine Australia; 02-21-2012 at 01:35 AM.

night riding enthusiast
    Had my first ride with a helmet lamp tonight. I can really see the attraction. It's great being able to point it, obviously...

What I like about the 816 is its narrow focus spot, with a single P7 it out throws the dual XML of the X2, but of course over a MUCH narrower field. I like the mix, though, since the X2 is an awesome flood! And with even a half decent P7/XML on the lid it's a feckin' wicked floodlight.

mtbr member
    Just received an MJ-816E and I have to say, I really like it. It does get rather hot though, I was kind of surprised by this since they contain LEDs.

To me, the most lumens for the dollar is what is most important with a quality battery coming in a close second. Time will tell how long the battery pack lasts, I dont expect it to last long.

Lumen Guinea Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumQrack View Post

To me, the most lumens for the dollar is what is most important with a quality battery coming in a close second. Time will tell how long the battery pack lasts, I dont expect it to last long.
    The 816E is supplied with the MJ-6030 - unless it was switched by the seller. The battery has 4 x Samsung 18650 cells inside instead of the standard BAK batteries.

Please give this forum a periodic report on the batteries. I am totally confident they will last years if it's not physically damaged, overcharged or left to overdischarge.

night riding enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumQrack View Post
    Just received an MJ-816E and I have to say, I really like it. It does get rather hot though, I was kind of surprised by this since they contain LEDs.

The 816E is supplied with the MJ-6030 - unless it was switched by the seller. The battery has 4 x Samsung 18650 cells inside instead of the standard BAK batteries.

Please give this forum a periodic report on the batteries. I am totally confident they will last years if it's not physically damaged, overcharged or left to overdischarge.
    I have four Magicshine 4400 BAK batteries which came with various bits and bobs I bought last summer. One in a hard shell, the other three in quite well made little rubberized pouches.

My rides rarely last more than three hours and the lights are so bright that I never use full power for more than about 10 mins at a time.

As such I've never used them down to even flashing red, let alone cut off. I also charge them every day but never let them charge overnight so I think they are in good condition. The ones I'm not using, I leave at about 75-50% charge.

In the 6 months or so of using them, I've not noticed any drop in capacity, except once when I was cycling at -2℃, the indicator went red rather quickly.

They have no balancing, so in time they WILL get unbalanced. I estimate I've used two of the most used packs well over 50 times each so it's about time to give them a balance.

I have ordered a $30 balance charger from DX with reasonable reviews, which should come before summer (!!) so I can balance my packs once a month, or so. But seriously, at $25 it's hard to recommend a $100 pack with similar capacity which may or may not last 4 times as long.

mtbr member
    I wanted to clear up my intent/stance on this thread. I'm merely asking are we saving money buying cheap lights or wasting money buying expensive lights?

I don't think either of these are true. I'm not really into the disposability of the cheap lights, not do I want a super high end $500+ lamp. I think the mid level domestic lights are the best overall value. I wanted to see if I was alone on this or not.
    Getting back to what this thread was supposedly about ( ), I think your question is very hard to answer because for one; The quality of LED bike lights is very subjective and as such is very much a matter of one's own opinion based on one's own personal standard. Not to mention that the light builds themselves are always changing which means people have to constantly reevaluate what is being sold.

Back in the day we were happy with the first generation halogens. Most of us didn't even think too much about the quality of the product we were just happy to be able to ride trails at night. When I look at the quality of the old halogens, I don't think the first generation MagicShine lights were too far off the track as far as "comparable" quality goes. As such they were nothing to brag about. Still, hundreds of thousands of the original MS's sold world wide which is more than you can say for the old style halogens. With sales that high there were bound to be issues. Smart companies know how to fix things when they see ( or hear about ) something wrong.

Over the years the so called "Chinese cloned" companies have upped their effort to sell bike lights. Some of these offerings are looking pretty darn good as competition has upped the ante. Not only are the lamp designs themselves looking better but more sophisticated electronics are being used. Issues that were overlooked before like; battery durability, water-resistance, service guarantees with local vendors...all this stuff is being addressed. With all this going on the question concerning "quality" is still a hard cookie to crack.

Now what you said about not wanting a "Disposable light" : Once again, that is a matter of opinion on what one is calling "disposable". Back in day when I bought halogen lights I didn't know the batteries would only last about a year and half. The bulbs themselves only lasted two years tops. Although I was bothered about the batteries I never considered the light as disposable because for one, there was really nothing better. Now if someone gave me the choice of , "Which would you rather have and ride with the next four years, your old halogens or an original MagicShine 808 "?....I would take the 808 in a heartbeat.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I hope you like your DiNotte's. Good company with a proven track record that also makes some great products.

Lumen Guinea Pig

We the people ...

Post your beamshots back in the Gloworm thread, I think.
    Was waiting for the Cat to pounce.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Getting back to what this thread was supposedly about ( ),
    And, he has!

BTW Good reply to rlb81. I spend over $800 for 2 sets of Cateye Halogens with 4 stick batteries. Like I said, not worth $20 today.
    Last edited by Magicshine Australia; 02-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Was waiting for the Cat to pounce.....

And, he has!

BTW Good reply to rlb81. I spend over $800 for 2 sets of Cateye Halogens with 4 stick batteries. Like I said, not worth $20 today.
    This thread offered some great insights. Unfortunately I was laid up with flu the last 5 days so I was pretty much out of it. Anyway since the OP'er didn't seem to mind all the off topic chatter I didn't think it necessary to make too much of a fuss. Anyway, back to work tomorrow.

( **Side note: You know you're out of it when it's too much to even sit up and punch keys on the computer. )

night riding enthusiast
    Just to squeeze some value out of the OT posts I think it's interesting that once can recycle a light and use it for something it wasn't originally intended.

I really only bought this cheap(ish) light as just as a first foray into serious lighting. I never expected nor intended it to last very long.

As is my poison, I start a new hobby and before I know it, I'm spending far more than I should on top quality gear.

I paid $124 for my MJ-816 this summer... I could have gone for the 808 (E wasn't out until the week after I bought it. (GRRRR)). But I wanted to try flood and spot in one unit.

By the end of the year, I really wanted to try some upmarket units and once they (Gloworm X2s) came, I expected to put the old MJ-816 out to pasture.

As it happens, it has outlived its original purpose and now performs a sterling job on my helmet, mount removed and placed upside down!

The fact is that even this cheap unit with cheap battery is performing alongside two much more "capable" lights without being in the slightest bit embarrassed or overawed.

Also, the unit is still in great condition dispite a 30kph OTB incident last autumn.

In closing, then. As a person who has happily spent US$8000 on some seriously good hifi gear about 10 years ago (and is still enjoying it every day) I find this Magicshine MJ-816 at $125 with battery and charger included to be a top - and more importantly - reliable performer!

In this case, Magicshine deserves to be recognized as one of the primary forces which has brought LCD (Lowest Common Denominator) serious lighting to the masses at really affordable prices...

I hope that this case in some way goes towards answering the OP's OQ without being too OT.... If that's OK with you

mtbr member
    A little OT is fine by me, I'm not a stickler

Thanks for the input everyone has given. I've gone for a few rides with my dinottes and I'm satisfied with what I've purchased. I guess that's all that truly matters in the end. Are you happy with the product you received for the money you've spent?
    Negative rep, please.

night riding enthusiast
    A little OT is fine by me, I'm not a stickler

Thanks for the input everyone has given. I've gone for a few rides with my dinottes and I'm satisfied with what I've purchased. I guess that's all that truly matters in the end. Are you happy with the product you received for the money you've spent?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. In the end, it all comes down to satisfaction. If you're satisfied with the amount of money paid compared with the performance you've received from the product, then I think there's nothing to complain about. As I mentioned, in my case with the MagicShine MJ 816. I am really pleased with the performance considering that the light head was less than $100.
    And as for the gloworm X2 the fact that they were $125 nz$ each was a smashing price to pay for such a powerful little light monster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I didn't mean to

If my previous message sounds that way, I didn't mean to. I just got very excited with my new LED. It is purely co-incidental. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks guys for a little bump.
    Last edited by aaronjole; 02-24-2012 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjole View Post
    I love biking at night. However, I have problems with my current bike lights. I have one option, and that is using LED Bike Lights. These are worth a try (I must add). I saw Navigator 1100 in Eclipse LED Company [eclipseledcompany(dot)com] and, I must say, the LEDs worked perfectly.

LEDs are very eco-friendly and at the same time, cost-effective and very useful.

Just my opinion.
    Interesting that Eclipse LED Company and aaronjole appear to be from the same California town and has posted a pretty blatant plug for their product. Just sayin.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Interesting that Eclipse LED Company and aaronjole appear to be from the same California town and has posted a pretty blatant plug for their product. Just sayin.....
    shady, and shameless....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast