mtbr member

Current consensus on cheap-o Chinese 3x clones (MS-872 type)

Are these dinosaurs now compared to the Solar Storm X3 types? I see lightheads only going for under $20 on eBay and full sets with batteries for $30.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Still got the light itch, huh? I thought you bought a bunch of lights.

Are you talking about the infamous 3-xml light with the wacky "one led on, two leds on, three led on" user interface? I've seen those light heads go for around $20. I don't have one but they lasted a long time for some people. They are are bright and still worth buying. I heard they were on the heavy side. I haven't seen a comparison of those to the solarstorm x3's, that would be interesting.

The magicshine 872 clone is a 4 xp-g light. I used one for a long time last year. I bought one for around $33, but I think the price has dropped. Do a search on Chinese flood light and you should find a link that I posted. It still works well and has a nice two button user interface. They are provide a lot of light in the near-field. It's also very even light. They just don't have the throw of a Duo clone or Solarstorm X2. There was one thread where someone posted beamshot comparisons of all of those lights. I even turned it into a gif.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    These infamous 1-2-3-strobe 3-clones can be upgraded for about $4-6 with a new driver to become stepless (the DX driver SKU 231936). It might need some DIY to fit in the driver. These 3 clones are nice mix of flood and throw for a mtb bar light.

mtbr member
    I guess the UI that many people mention doesn't matter to me; I always just run my stuff on high b/c mo' light=mo' betta. I now have 4 lights and adding another for $30 for my kids to use is no big deal..hell...they can attach it to their electric scooter and wiz around the street at night!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I use the Securiting 2700 lumen model from Amazon. Works great. Lights up like I'm behind a car light. Decent beam pattern.

I tried an eBay 5000 lumen version using the 2 Cree XML lights, burned out on the 4th ride. The battery pack is my spare battery for the Securitying version.

I think I paid $38 shipped.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you plan to hang these cheap-o lights on kid's scooter I would be seriously considering other battery packs. These blue cell packs are quite dangerous to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I guess the UI that many people mention doesn't matter to me; I always just run my stuff on high b/c mo' light=mo' betta. I now have 4 lights and adding another for $30 for my kids to use is no big deal..hell...they can attach it to their electric scooter and wiz around the street at night!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    If you plan to hang these cheap-o lights on kid's scooter I would be seriously considering other battery packs. These blue cell packs are quite dangerous to play with.
    How specifically? Are they going to blow up or auto-ignite?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The cells are in most cases unbalanced with various capacity. So, Yes, they might blow up or auto-ignite after a couple of charges when one of the series is severely overcharged. The cheap chargers can't see the voltage across each serie, it just sees the total voltage of the pack. This may be resolved adding PCB that supports balance charging or add balance connectors and use a hobby charger. This won't be just $30 for the light and battery pack if you'd like to go the safe way. But those 3-clones have a very nice beam pattern. Just the cheap dangerous battery in most cases ...