Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CRAZY - seems like Tesla has been ripped off :)

53K views 342 replies 110 participants last post by  Purt 
#1 ·
#52 ·
WindWithMe said:
Just received mine. Very nicely packaged,and seems to be fairly well made,in my very unknowledgeable,humble opinion. Did get fairly hot,and very bright for the 3 minutes that I had it turned on. Its now charging,and tonight I will get some beam shots. Here are a few pictures of it. If you guys/gals want anymore pics,don't hesitate to ask. :)
in for light beam shot! How good is the helmet mount?

#54 ·
moggy82 said:
Got some silver stuff for computers from maplins, gonna put a bit of that on.
I haven't noticed mine getting hot while out at night yet. It has been fairly cool though. 64F. Where are you applying the heatsink compound at?

After two night rides with this light I have to say I'm pleased. The light is very bright for urban night riding on high,and vehicles slow way down when approaching them. I keep mine on low because "high" will blind oncoming traffic.

I only have a couple pictures and I'm not sure how to set up the camera so that I don't getting blurring when not using the flash. The first picture is how dark it was. The seconded one is high. Third is Low.

I'll take a tripod up to the park tonight and get better,crisper,pictures. So far this light has been worth the cash. 2 hours and the battery still needs no charge. Mostly set on Low though for what its worth.

Attachments

#55 ·
WindWithMe said:
I haven't noticed mine getting hot while out at night yet. It has been fairly cool though. 64F. Where are you applying the heatsink compound at?

After two night rides with this light I have to say I'm pleased. The light is very bright for urban night riding on high,and vehicles slow way down when approaching them. I keep mine on low because "high" will blind oncoming traffic.

I only have a couple pictures and I'm not sure how to set up the camera so that I don't getting blurring when not using the flash. The first picture is how dark it was. The seconded one is high. Third is Low.

I'll take a tripod up to the park tonight and get better,crisper,pictures. So far this light has been worth the cash. 2 hours and the battery still needs no charge. Mostly set on Low though for what its worth.
It looks like you're using a camera with an automatic exposure system and extended exposures. For good comparisons you should be using manual, if you have it.

#56 ·
baker said:
I just ordered one. I'll provide feedback in a few months after I receive it.

;-)
I've received mine, mounted it on the bike and ridden around a tiny bit. Very very bright, as to be expected from a P7 (I have used a P7 flashlight in the past). The beam pattern seems nice at first glance. A good combo of throw and flood.

The light is small, light, and externally appears nice. The battery pack straps nicely to the bottom of my stem. The lower setting is still quite a bit of light. I cannot stand having the flash mode. Useless for me and just one more mode to cycle through.

No idea on real runtimes yet.

I need to compare this light w/ my Trail Tech HID. If it is comparable/better, I'll probably order another one and use two of these lights.

#59 ·
Popper252 said:
Awesome, I love these practical reviews! Keep them coming! Have any of you taken them apart yet? How is the quality on the solders etc...
I am resisting the temptation to take the light apart. I am trying to just use it as is for a while, rather than start mucking around with it. I've built lots of DIY led lights, so the temptation is huge.

#63 ·
Something is wrong

Last night after dinner I went on a ride that I suspected would run into dark hours. The light wouldn't come on,but after fiddling with it (unplugging,moving wires) it came back on. I was able to get around 2 more miles and hit a bump,and it turned off. There was still enough light for me to limp home,but I was not very pleased. After messing with it for awhile I finally isolated the problem to be in the battery pack somewhere. I barely have to touch the pack and it will go off. This entails me to have to unplug the light,and plug it back in to get it to start again. This works 80% of the time. Sometimes I have to plug it back into the wall to get it to reset again.

I'm debating if I should unwrap the batteries to see if there is a lead coming undone,or send it back to DX for replacement. I really need this light to work,and don't want to wait a month for a replacement. Does anyone know what the problem might be. I'll try to get a video up later tonight of the problem.

#64 ·
So....I'll just say that I've ordered lots from DX and will continue to do so, but there is a reason for prices being so low. The quality of the merchandise is not as high as say Lupine (that's an understatement). I know this, but I'm willing to take my chances and troubleshoot whatever might be the issue.

All that being said...personally, I'd unwrap the battery pack and check for connection issues, resoldering whatever I might find to be suspect. If that didn't work, I'd open up the light and check for similar issues (although given the fact that touching the battery affects the light, it is a pretty good bet that the problem is in the pack).

For tidying the pack back up after unwrapping it, I'd personally use a bunch of electrical tape. I'm sure there are better/prettier solutions, but that's what I've used for homemade packs for years and I've had no issues.

I would probably never be bothered to send stuff back to DX and wait for a replacement, but that's just me.

#67 ·
I'm really liking the price of this light. It would make a great companion to my 400l or for loaning out to my friends without lights. I'll be following this thread to see how the reliability is. Thanks for the info.

#70 ·
Cat-man-do said:
A WORD OF WARNING: :rant:

The next person to post up with a review of this D/X light who first gets the light and tears it apart before showing some outside BEAM SHOTS is going to get 100 of these > :prft: and a couple dozen of these > :madmax: ..sent to their PM box. ;)
Here is some comparison beamshots
http://picasaweb.google.si/Tgrozni/2009_06_12#

Hope is rated 480 at max, primus race 140 at max.

Ok ?

#71 ·
TGV said:
Here is some comparison beamshots
http://picasaweb.google.si/Tgrozni/2009_06_12#

Hope is rated 480 at max, primus race 140 at max.

Ok ?
Ummm....Thanks, but no thanks. Those are some real "out of focus" beam shots. I can't make anything out in any of them. Others have already posted some beam shots of the D/X bike light so I'm good. However I am still waiting for Moggy82 to post his beam shots compared to his P-7 torches. Moggy?

moggy82 wrote 3 days ago:

Got mine today yippee!...Will put up some comparison shots later against my P7 torch and P7 turboferret powered torch and my 2 MCE's.

#72 · (Edited)
Not been dark enough to do proper ones, check my PB now, gives you a idea of the shapes and distribution.

Bike light is VERY green tinted, im not sure if mine has been damaged, i have already messaged troutie about it, hopefully he can tell off the beamshots compared to the one he had!

Settings used: Manual - iso100 1/50sec F4 (fuji s1000fd) Will used standard setting when outdoors

P7 Bikelight

MTE P7-D (c-bin emitter)

MTE M3-2 MCE

MG RX1 MCE (simialr to tiablo ACE MCE)

#74 ·
Well last night I went out for a night ride only to have the light turn off once again. This time it wouldn't come back on so its back to square 0 with this light. This is a very unreliable light,and I would never trust it on any trails. Its really frustrating to go out for a stress relieving bike ride,and only compound your stress because of faulty equipment. I've looked again at the battery pack,but cannot see what the problem is. I'm going to send this light back to DX if I can't find a solution tonight.

Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a separate battery pack? I'm just sick of fussing with this toy. :madman:

#75 ·
If you don't making up your own packs then I have previously sourced loads of batteries from popping down to my local computer shop, who throw away broken laptops for next to no reason, and the batteries (usually Panasonic Li-Ion) are nearly always very good and ready to go. My shop gives me the batteries for nothing and as a result of this, have made up two very good packs for my two sets of lights.. Just a thought.

#76 ·
EFMax said:
If you don't making up your own packs then I have previously sourced loads of batteries from popping down to my local computer shop, who throw away broken laptops for next to no reason, and the batteries (usually Panasonic Li-Ion) are nearly always very good and ready to go. My shop gives me the batteries for nothing and as a result of this, have made up two very good packs for my two sets of lights.. Just a thought.
Hmmm,that sounds like an idea. Its funny;the reason I got into bikes is for the non-electrical tweaking (I used to be into computer hardware,overclocking and modding) and here I am about to embark on more electrical gadgetry for a bike.

EFMax do you have the schematics for doing this,or is pretty self-explanatory? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.