mtbr member

Cordless helmet mounted....

....light suggestions?

Currently I have a MS 870 with a 6Ah battery mounted on my bar and stem and am pleased with the amount of light it puts out even on the middle two settings.

But I now am wanting to get a cordless helmet mounted light with a fairly focused beam to light where I look with before I'm pointed that way. The two I'm considering are the Cygolite expilion 700 and maybe a Niterider lumina 650. The Expilion is supposedly 140 g, and Lumina is 172 g.

Am I gonna be hating either of these whilst strapped to my helmet?? Love the idea of a field replaceable battery in the Cygo . The Niterider's extra ounce seems significant on spec.

Any other makes and models that I should consider?

Or are fairly light cordless lights with offroad illumination still an idea ahead of it's time? ( ...and I just need to get over my corded hangups for now?)

Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    For the helmet -

2x the latest Cree XP-G2's

For the bars -

4x Cree XM-L's

Been hearing a lot about this dude.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    I am seeing CORDS on that helmet light
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    ....light suggestions?

Currently I have a MS 870 with a 6Ah battery mounted on my bar and stem and am pleased with the amount of light it puts out even on the middle two settings.

But I now am wanting to get a cordless helmet mounted light with a fairly focused beam to light where I look with before I'm pointed that way. The two I'm considering are the Cygolite expilion 700 and maybe a Niterider lumina 650. The Expilion is supposedly 140 g, and Lumina is 172 g.

Am I gonna be hating either of these whilst strapped to my helmet?? Love the idea of a field replaceable battery in the Cygo . The Niterider's extra ounce seems significant on spec.

Any other makes and models that I should consider?

Or are fairly light cordless lights with offroad illumination still an idea ahead of it's time? ( ...and I just need to get over my corded hangups for now?)

Thx
    I use a Cygolite Expilion 400, which has a slightly smaller battery, thus lighter, than the 700. The 700 maybe too much for a helmet light. I found the 400 to be sufficient, along with my Cygolite Mitycross 480, which is attached to my handlebar.
    Last edited by ecub; 10-23-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think a regular bike light with either a 2 cell battery on the helmet or a 4 cell battery in the jersey pocket is better than any self contained light. Mainly because the weight is carried on the helmet more evenly. I just run the cable to my jersey pocket. It is a pain to be wired to your backpack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    I am seeing CORDS on that helmet light
    Right, but I would rather use a solution with a small battery and cable than a completely self contained light which is basically a flashlight. A Lupine Piko with the small battery pack is a great helmet light option. With the short cord and the light head mounted towards the front of the helmet and battery pack in the rear it maintains a balanced weight. I like the Piko mounting system better than the velcro mount of car's light because it lets you put the light head right up front and be able to adjust/tilt the angle. With the self contained light you most likely would want to mount it top center for it to be balanced and I don't like it when the light sticks up too far from the top of the helmet as it can snag on branches. Plus on a lot of the self contained lights you can't add extra battery packs and have to send in the whole light if there is a battery issue, while with an external battery you could just swap the battery with a spare. There are however some self contained lights that allow piggy backing a battery or swapping batteries which is a big plus, but still you usually want to mount it high and centered on the helmet which is a negative in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    Yes that XP-G2 would fit the bill indeed- I like the idea of balancing the weight and positioning independently, plus the battery weight would not affect the lights mount/positioning, nor absorbing the lights heat. I'll have to look into that one

I looked at the Pico also, but was turned off by the $300 price tag (on Universal)

Are there any other mini-corded systems other than these?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Are there any other mini-corded systems other than these?
    Gemini Duo with the 2 cell battery.

Light freak

Amoeba - The simplest "light" form

Yep, been doing the battery on the helmet design for over 5 years now The rest of the industry finally caught on. Has proved to be a rock solid design.

I also do a helmet mount -

These are some of the reasons people have been purchasing my lights -
    1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Non proprietary batteries
    4. - Customer service
    5. - Made by someone who uses his lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.
    6. - Always using the latest and greatest LED's (no major manufacturers are using XP-G2's yet and they just announced their 2013 line ups )

Check out thee link to my blog in my signature below. Shoot me an email to the address in my signature if you want some more info.

Last edited by scar; 10-24-2012 at 06:30 AM.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Gemini Duo with the 2 cell battery.
    Agreed, or the Xera, which is a bit lighter than the Duo. Both are great lights. The Xera has a spot beam optic that comes with purchase from Action Led. If you get jut the battery, lighthead, and charger you can save lots of money - it would run about $150. Depending on your helment you may not need a helmet mount (I mount mine directly to the vent on my helmets: Specialzed S3, Giro Pneumo, or Giro Hex). I also have a few old Magicshine mounts if I need them, but I don't.

mtbr member
    Scar, didn't know you made a helmet mount with a hinge. Looks like it will work great.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I cancelled my order for a Lezyne Expilion and pulled the trigger on a Xera 2 cell. Should have it mounted and dialed before we lose and hour of afternoon

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How much are those 2 LED Amoeba helmet lights running nowadays?

MC MasterShake
    Don't leave out the Exposure Diablo. Over 1000 lumens on high and runs for an 1 hour w/o piggy back battery or about 3 hours on medium at about 500 lumens. Add the PB battery and you get 3 hours of 1000+ lumens. I have the older one that's 900 lumens max and I love the light.

Light freak
    Originally posted by atreyu
    How much are those 2 LED Amoeba helmet lights running nowadays?
    $220

PM me or email me at the address in my signature for more info