Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chinese New Year ( 2014 ) Approaches: Order NOW

Just a heads up for those folks who are thinking about buying batteries or other products from the Chinese web sites. Chinese New Year, otherwise known as, The Chinese "Spring Festival" , takes place on January 31, 2014.

For those who don't know, the whole country pretty much closes down for two weeks. This year from about Jan. 25th to Feb. 4th, expect things to be shut down. Very few Chinese businesses do shipping or order taking during this time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the heads up. There was a huge delay a few months ago for the last holiday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    oh, thanks for your tips, ur message is so helpful

mtbr member
    Just placed an order on Kaidomain Monday. I got a confirmation this morning telling me the order has shipped. Seems they are doing a two-step by using Swedish Airmail. I don't know how that will work but I will post up if there are any problems. ( a Li-ion battery is part of the order ).

Glad to get the confirmation e-mail. Looks like I got it in just before the shut-down.

Rogue Exterminator
    Sheesh, and all we get is damn day.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes they are using Swedish post for cells also. Even wallbuys use it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    Yes they are using Swedish post for cells also. Even wallbuys use it.
    MK96, since you seem to know about this can you tell me about "how much longer" it will take than what it used to take using standard China air post? Once the order has been shipped standard China air Post used to take about 16-17 days to where I live. I'm figuring another 7 days or so with the "Swedish connection" in play. Comments...??

Anyway, with a new lamp on the way I thought I'd let everyone know what's on the menu....> K/D Triple XM-L2 "U2" lamp with Stepless mode adjustment. Not much has been said about these so I thought I'd take a look at it. It has the standard 3 steady modes with flash ( press and hold ). Unlike the other Tri-clones all of the LED's on this version should be on at the same time regardless of mode. Not much to look at aesthetically speaking. No fancy frills on the lamp body but with XM-L2 U2 and the fact that it is using the same Tri-reflector as previous tri-clones the beam pattern should be a nice mix of flood and throw. It's going to be interesting to compare with my other (basic ) tri-clone and the Nitefire Hero2 (triple XM-L U2 ) I have when it comes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Anyway, with a new lamp on the way I thought I'd let everyone know what's on the menu....> K/D Triple XM-L2 "U2" lamp with Stepless mode adjustment. Not much has been said about these so I thought I'd take a look at it. It has the standard 3 steady modes with flash ( press and hold ). Unlike the other Tri-clones all of the LED's on this version should be on at the same time regardless of mode. Not much to look at aesthetically speaking. No fancy frills on the lamp body but with XM-L2 U2 and the fact that it is using the same Tri-reflector as previous tri-clones the beam pattern should be a nice mix of flood and throw. It's going to be interesting to compare with my other (basic ) tri-clone and the Nitefire Hero2 (triple XM-L U2 ) I have when it comes.
    That looks like an interesting one. I may very well wait for your results on that until I order my lamp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allthethings View Post
    That looks like an interesting one. I may very well wait for your results on that until I order my lamp.
    I've been aware of these for a good while but I was hesitant to buy one because some of the reviews indicated there might be some thermal power-down issues. After contacting one of the reviewers and asking some questions I decided these might be worth rolling the dice on. I should add that K/D has two versions; the one that was reviewed ( XM-L T6 ) and the one that I'm buying with XM-L2 U2. I figure both should have the same driver/UI. Anyway, I got a response from the reviewer who really had nothing bad to say about it and was pleased with how the lamp worked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    MK96, since you seem to know about this can you tell me about "how much longer" it will take than what it used to take using standard China air post? Once the order has been shipped standard China air Post used to take about 16-17 days to where I live. I'm figuring another 7 days or so with the "Swedish connection" in play. Comments...??
    Cat-man-do, my order from December 26th was processed like that:
    02/01/14 18:00 Order Shipment recorded
    09/01/14 12:24 Order departed from sorting hub
    16/01/14 16:04 Order received into final destination country
    17/01/14 15:05 Order delivered

Your estimation seems to be near to reality, but Singpost isn't much faster in delivering to my country They actually emailed me they shipped order on December 28th. But Sweden post tracking in my case didn't work very well, started to show something when the package arrived in my homeland. Recently KD, Fasttech and Wallbuys are using RE....SE tracking numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyway, with a new lamp on the way I thought I'd let everyone know what's on the menu....> K/D Triple XM-L2 "U2" lamp with Stepless mode adjustment. Not much has been said about these so I thought I'd take a look at it. It has the standard 3 steady modes with flash ( press and hold ). Unlike the other Tri-clones all of the LED's on this version should be on at the same time regardless of mode.
    I think the driver it might use is that one on DX. A guy here on MTBR wrote it is also "stepless" and can work fine with 3 to 6 leds in series. It can't be used for 7-up and is not as beefy as the original 7-up driver This one is able to push ~20W to the leds. I order it as a replacement driver for Skyray 6T6 and Archie's friend has one also in some 4-up led light but broke down quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK96 View Post
    I think the driver it might use is that one on DX. A guy here on MTBR wrote it is also "stepless" and can work fine with 3 to 6 leds in series. It can't be used for 7-up and is not as beefy as the original 7-up driver This one is able to push ~20W to the leds. I order it as a replacement driver for Skyray 6T6 and Archie's friend has one also in some 4-up led light but broke down quickly.
    Thanks for the info on the driver. I'm not sure this lamp is using the same driver but if it is it helps explain the power-down issue. I say that because the voltage range of the driver you mention tops off at 17 volts. With a driver like that it would be better to use a 14.8 volt ( nominal voltage ) battery as it would help the driver keep the lamp in regulation longer and would help circumvent any low-voltage power down.

If someone ran a cheap low capacity 7.4 volt ( nominal ) battery on a lamp that used the driver you linked to, when the battery drops below 7 volts it wouldn't take long for the lamp to go into "low-power mode". This could easily be mistaken for a thermal power-down if you were not aware of it. I'm going to keep this information on a back burner in case I notice a problem. Thanks very much for that "heads-up".

Thanks also for the info on the shipping times. Yeah, those tracking numbers they give you are practically useless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've started the "Operation instructions" thread at DX. It's one of the best low cost drivers I've ever seen. I can confirm it can be powered with 3S cells, but you can put it at risk with 4S as there is input capacitor declared to 16V. I've only tested it with 4 leds serially and I've got 19W to the leds regardless powering it with 2S3P or 3S2P battey. As voltage of battery pack goes down, more current is pulled. That's and its constant 19W output proves driver is regulated. One of very few.

I can also confirm driver is going to switch to lower mode very soon when powered by low quality or worn out cells. It is better to run it with 6 tipical cells at least. High current cells or Lipos would be even better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ah, ledoman, yes it was you, I didn't know you have the same nick here on MTBR Thanks for the info again! I would stay away from 4S or change the cap to be safe anyway. So the low power a.k.a. thermal issue with these stepless lights might get resolved now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    I've started the "Operation instructions" thread at DX. It's one of the best low cost drivers I've ever seen. I can confirm it can be powered with 3S cells, but you can put it at risk with 4S as there is input capacitor declared to 16V....
    I looked at the specifications on the web site and it list the voltage range between 7-18 volts. The picture clearly shows a 25 volt capacitor on the circuit board so maybe they updated from the one you have. I still find it odd that there is no mention of this driver being listed as "stepless" in the product specifications. Still, both you and another say this is a "stepless" driver so I'll take your word for it.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_231936_3.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Cat, when it arrives, I'll write it here if it meets the specs. My order is still on the way. I rely on the info in the DX forum thread. That "stepless" feature was actually the main reason to buy it. I think we are talking about these tantalum caps (image borrowed from the DX thread started by ledoman)

Chinese New Year ( 2014 ) Approaches: Order NOW-9b0b2775-aab1-4d0d-910c-f80ddf5e79dd.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes MK, we are talking about input tantalum capacitor marked 226C which is 16V rated (C mark). It is directly connected to the Vc+ (solder bulb low right near the capacitor). Vc- is right to the 151 resistor.

Cat you might reread the thread page 2 with my and desolder posts. Capacitor you are reffering is output capacitor. It has to be 25V in order to run at output voltage for 6+ leds in series. It's obviously the boost driver.
    Let aside DX descriptions......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledoman View Post
    Yes MK, we are talking about input tantalum capacitor marked 226C which is 16V rated (C mark). It is directly connected to the Vc+ (solder bulb low right near the capacitor). Vc- is right to the 151 resistor.

Cat you might reread the thread page 2 with my and desolder posts. Capacitor you are reffering is output capacitor. It has to be 25V in order to run at output voltage for 6+ leds in series. It's obviously the boost driver.
    Let aside DX descriptions......
    Well looks like you're right. I've just never seen capacitors that look like that before. I still think 4S would work but why push it. You're also right that a 3-series battery should work fine and keep the lamp in regulation throughout the entire battery discharge.

I've not read the dialog on the D/X forum yet but I will when I get time. Always nice to see people messing with these things at the component level. This driver looks ripe for modding. Has anyone tried to increase the current output or is it already maxed out? I have a D/X quad XM-L lamp that would be perfect for modding but unfortunately there is no access through the back of the lamp.
    Now if I can find a 4-up lamp using XM-L2 U2 with easy rear access that might be the ticket for a nice stepless driver mode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It is posible to do some mods. Read the thread at DX. I think current can be safely raised by adding sense resistor, of course not to much. I might do that in the near future adding R100 (0.1Ohm) over existing ones. This would raise the current from 1.6A to aprox. 2.1A. I would advised to read and keep eyes on this one to.

The main issues would be sufficient input power to assure normal operation without to much voltage drop (and fallback to low mode) and heatsinking. You would need a good pretty massive housing. XM-L2 is supposed to be more efficient so a bit less heat disipation, but still I wouldn't run it for a very long time without moving.

I've got the feeling this driver is not very efficient with 3 leds. I suppose 4-6 leds is the best, but I didn't prove it with measurments. I'm waiting to get another driver from DX for almost a month, but tracking shows it still in China

PS. I've came across this driver in a noname copy of this one (be aware it's quite huge) and I was very suprised when I've found out how it operates. Then I started discussion with desolder and sheepish at DX. I know Those two guys are really skilled on circuits. I'm not, I just read, ask and try ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those who don't know, the whole country pretty much closes down for two weeks. This year from about Jan. 25th to Feb. 4th, expect things to be shut down. Very few Chinese businesses do shipping or order taking during this time.
    Ah, sweet RB...CN tracking of package from DX shipped long time before "New Year Festival"

06.10.2013 15:13 Item posted at post office

27.01.2014 14:47 Departure from Outward Office of Exchange

07.02.2014 07:17 Arrival at Inward Office of Exchange

10.02.2014 08:30 Item in transit

10.02.2014 10:09 Departure of the item from the Customs Office

10.02.2014 11:20 Item in transit

11.02.2014 08:14 Item accepted for delivery

11.02.2014 14:50 Item delivered to the Addressee

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cool. I've got one RA...CN with drivers from DX still in Shanghai, China:

2014-01-05 00:00, 出口总包互封封发, 上海国际,

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I've been using this lamp for about a month and have been pretty pleased with it. You do need to open it up and clean off the factory applied thermal paste and replace it with quality paste or you will have thermal shutdown issues. Once that is done I haven't had any shutdown issues. I wasn't so happy with the beam, but everyone has different tastes here. It has an area of spill, then a dead spot before the main spot beam area. The stepless modes are there, but there is no memory so once you shut it off it goes back to the stock configuration, which in my opinion is a perfect spread. I chose the no battery option so no comment on that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    robs, if there is the same driver I was talking about above, it should have mode memory. When you choose the brightnes you should use very long switch press to memorize/confirm selection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I stand corrected. I played around with it a little more and figured out how to save the selection. You select the setting you want to change, click and hold until it flashes yellow (will cycle off then back on with yellow button), scroll through the settings until you find the level you want, then another long hold until it goes back to green (will cycle off again then back on).

mtbr member
    ...had me a little worried there. I'm expecting mine in the mail any day now. I'm hoping that the beam patten is similar to the other tri-clone lamp I already have since no one else mentioned any unusual artifacts in the beam pattern. The thermal issues I'm crossing my fingers on and hoping it will not be a major issue but at least I knew of the possibilities before I ordered it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast