Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 67 of 67
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    It's the same connection type that Magicshine clone use, I can't remember the exact dimensions, but it was included in one of the descriptions somewhere on ebay or alibaba or elsewhere. the battery pack that came with the Bat fits and threads perfectly, but the magicshine-ish battery packs have a thread too large to screw onto properly (to form the waterproof seal), but this does not prevent a full connection at all.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    247
    Would you say that there is almost no hotspot in the beam pattern for the Bat?

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    421
    That bat beamshot looks really good in my opinion, a nice even beam. The grass may make it look like that. It may look different on darker ground or pavement.

    Is that ebay listing the only place to buy it? It on the more expensive side at around $77.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    How about the owl with regards to hotspot or spot in general?
    The general light up seems very nice from your picture, but I can't really tell if there is a far throw spot, like with the SSX2.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendank View Post
    It's the same connection type that Magicshine clone use, I can't remember the exact dimensions, but it was included in one of the descriptions somewhere on ebay or alibaba or elsewhere. the battery pack that came with the Bat fits and threads perfectly, but the magicshine-ish battery packs have a thread too large to screw onto properly (to form the waterproof seal), but this does not prevent a full connection at all.
    Thank you.
    Could someone help me out with more details or link. I need to order some (especially Y) to connect to two heads to one battery.
    Or as seen from you disassembly, the cable is not secured in anyway. I might as well order whichever waterproof connection I like, and make custom cables for myself. Hmmm...?

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by oalex100 View Post
    Thank you.
    Could someone help me out with more details or link. I need to order some (especially Y) to connect to two heads to one battery.
    Or as seen from you disassembly, the cable is not secured in anyway. I might as well order whichever waterproof connection I like, and make custom cables for myself. Hmmm...?
    Yes, do that! The cable is there, but if you can solder small boards, you'd be able to replace the cable with whatever you want.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendank View Post
    Yes, do that! The cable is there, but if you can solder small boards, you'd be able to replace the cable with whatever you want.
    Yes I can. Probably best rout to go and have 100% waterproof connecting: KIT 2 Pins Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug | eBay


    BTW: might this be the one on the owl originaly?: A Pair Waterproof Power Connector Plug 2pin LED Cable | eBay

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Would you say that there is almost no hotspot in the beam pattern for the Bat?
    I wouldn't say that, I would need to find a wall at an appropriate distance to demonstrate it, same with the Owl (very obvious hot spot), I need to find an area that gives a good idea of distance and character of beam. Don't worry, I am keen to get out there again soon, although I could just find a wall somewhere and measure the distance...

    Varider: Yes, there is a seller called outdoor-lights on ebay who sells the xm-l2 Owl clone head only for about $46 USD, but I have not seen the Bat anywhere else, though I haven't checked Alibaba or Aliexpress lately.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by oalex100 View Post
    Yes I can. Probably best rout to go and have 100% waterproof connecting: KIT 2 Pins Waterproof Electrical Wire Connector Plug | eBay


    BTW: might this be the one on the owl originaly?: A Pair Waterproof Power Connector Plug 2pin LED Cable | eBay
    Yeah, 5mm sounds about right, can't be certain about the screw-on bits as the thread and cap could be larger or smaller.
    Last edited by Vilendank; 11-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    Vilendank, you have been a lot of help. Thank you.

    I am pulling the trigger on a 2x Owl (discussed earlier with outdoor-lights, he promised to ship immediately). No batteries, so will probably go crazy from the wait.

    Both would mounter on bar. I plan to only use one mainly and the second will point much higher (blinding) and will only use it when alone in forest to see branches and stuff.

    Last chance Vilen, next five minutes I am sending the money via paypal. Talk me out of it now or never. :-)

    Ps: how it the heat dissipation, I dont remeber you mention anything about that.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Well, it seems okay, no problems at all on the 3 hour ride (I'm a slow climber, and I got lost). Mind I was riding in about -10c climate, but the heat transference from the LED plus the increased surface area due to the ribs looks superior to the SSX2's design. It is easy enough to take apart and throw some thermal paste in there if you're really keen on covering all bases, but I'm going to wait and do the mod Kir mentioned to increase the amps before I start sealing it all up with paste and silicone.

    Keep in mind, I am a total noob at this - I tinker in ignorance - Kir or one of the other master-tinkerers would be more technically adept at addressing your concerns with some actual expertise...

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    No matter. You where already a great help. If you are a noob, then what would I qualify for? :-).

    I asked for DHL shipping which is extra $30 but I sold my old light today, so cant ride at night till they arrive. I was afraid with Xmas traffic from China, CHina post might take 50 days to get to Hungary. This way I am supposed to get it in 7 days max. Only problem is I will have no batteries .
    I still need to make up my mind on those.

    Anyway gracias again, you where a big big help. Also thatnks to all the others that helped.

    I will be curious to see if its worth doing the upgrade you and kir mentioned. I guess the result would be higher amp draw = faster battery drain and maybe 5% more light? If I remember right most of these led have very little noticeable brightness when driven at 80% vs 100%. But I could be wrong.

    Do you feel you need more light? I mean as you are still considering the mod.

  13. #63
    Kir
    Kir is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    165
    Forgot about this thread.
    I will make a proper review of Jexree Owl/Bat later, some thoughts for now:
    Owl will probably have higher build quality than most SSX2 clones atm
    Owl should be brighter, it drives leds very hard on max...and imo you don't need to increase the current on it
    Beam profile should be about the same as SSX2, they have very simular looking reflectors.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by oalex100 View Post
    No matter. You where already a great help. If you are a noob, then what would I qualify for? :-).

    I asked for DHL shipping which is extra $30 but I sold my old light today, so cant ride at night till they arrive. I was afraid with Xmas traffic from China, CHina post might take 50 days to get to Hungary. This way I am supposed to get it in 7 days max. Only problem is I will have no batteries .
    I still need to make up my mind on those.

    Anyway gracias again, you where a big big help. Also thatnks to all the others that helped.

    I will be curious to see if its worth doing the upgrade you and kir mentioned. I guess the result would be higher amp draw = faster battery drain and maybe 5% more light? If I remember right most of these led have very little noticeable brightness when driven at 80% vs 100%. But I could be wrong.

    Do you feel you need more light? I mean as you are still considering the mod.
    No, with the BAt/Owl combo, it's plenty of light. I would just like to try, mainly out of curiousity, a more neutral light colour (<4000k) because I really don't like that cold-white "washout" on the trail. Its fine for urban or dirt road, and on medium settings the depth perception is fine, but the cool-white does noticeably effect perspective and depth at higher speeds by reducing the tones of light/dark somewhat (visualize high-contrast washout).
    I think a lot of it has to do with how our eyes perceive light & colour, so this effect could vary from individual to individual. Like how some people can tell the difference between an MP3 and a CD while others can't (training and genetics), and some people will love the dynamic range of a Zepplin song (an analogy for the effect a neutral tone should theoretically provide), while some will love the compressed power of Dubstep, as examples of preference.

    Using neutral-coloured leds will probably result in less throw, so the smd resistor Kir mention might be a good idea. I am very happy with the the battery pack and Panasonics I got from DealExtreme, so I wll probably grab a couple more sets for backup. Even the pack that came with the Bat lasted the whole ride and was still green at the end.

    EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong, Kir!

    Well, as to riding without lights on the trail, I can say that I ended up getting separated from my group this summer, caught in pitch-black forest on a technical dh trail I'd never been on before that usually takes an hour to descend in daylight, no lights at all, and it was pretty thrilling! Definitely a good way to test your suspension and ride over things you would never go near in daylight! eesh. A totally different experience, I highly reccommend it - bring whiskey!

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    90
    I don't think I mentioned, but both my Owls arrive. They look very nice. I just have to wait for the batteries now to try them. Still contemplating changing the cables till then to pass time.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendank View Post
    My Owl clone claims to use XM-L2 U2's and I purchased it from here: NEW LED Bike Light 2 Cree XM L2 3 Mode 3000LUMEN Bike Light Lamp Lamp Only | eBay

    My Jexree Bat I purchased from here: Jexree BAT OWL 2 3 U2 LED Cree Bicycle Bike Light Flashlight 1800LM T6 5000 6000 | eBay

    The Panasonic Batteries, Battery case, an Nitecore charger I got from Dealextreme:
    Batteries:
    Genuine Panasonic 18650 3100mAh Rechargeable Battery with Protection Board - Green (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Battery Case:
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Charger:
    NITECORE Universal Intelligent 4-Slot Rechargeable Battery Charger (2-Flat-Pin Plug / 100~240V) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

    Absolutely no issues with the batteries from DX or even the mystery chinese batteries that came with the Bat. I think for the value one is much better off buying the Owl clone
    Light head seperately, then buying the panasonics, case, and charger from DX, though the thread on the battery case cable is too large to thread onto the Owl cable, it should be a simple fix but that's for another time.
    So by my understanding, you spent $47 on the Jexree Bat and it was fully functional out of the box with battery and charger, AND it's worked well for you. Then you spent $122.50 on the Owl clone head + Panasonic batteries + battery case + charger.

    What I'm wondering is how the two battery set ups compare. There's a ton of talk in MTBR about crap mystery batteries, but there's also a ton of people using them. Meanwhile, as you've so nicely shown, the cost to step up from mystery batteries to Panasonic batteries is very expensive to the point of making me wonder why we're messing around with cheap Chinese knock off lights in the first place. For slightly more or less money, I could chose from several Magicshine lights.

    MTBR has quite a reputation for folks nerding out over little details and exaggerating the significance of those minuscule variations. I think most of us just want to know what will work pretty well in the real world.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    530
    Because this thread is about Chinese lights roulette ... so he rolled his dice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 05:18 AM
  2. 4 x XML - 4000 lumen chinese light - anyonr tried one???
    By peakprowler in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM
  3. Chinese knock-off (of MagicShine) - Great light... for 2 weeks
    By OldZaskar in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 04:08 AM
  4. Chinese Light Battery Packs
    By NYrr496 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  5. Light-Bicyle (chinese) carbon bars
    By David C in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •