Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kir
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Thanks everyone for feedback. I've been continuing to research this since posting and have come to realize that Kir has already researched, purchased and tested almost all of these! So, extra special thanks to you Kir!
    Purchased - yes, tested - many of them, researched - not yet I do have about 30 models of chinese bike lights but I haven't written reviews for them yet. Writing a proper review takes about 5 hours and I don't really have spare time atm...but I will make reviews for all of them sometime.
    For now I can help with any questions about these lights or make a quick comparisons if somebody needs them.

Here's Kir's review of this one: MJ-880 Clone - Imgur
    I'm also going to be ordering a couple of the empty battery boxes from this one to use with my other lights:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022419
    Not a review yet, just pics. Still this light is good and I can recommend it.
    These boxes will come with cells inside, but these cells probably will be crap with 1000-1100mAh capacity. If you don't care about the color of the box you can get them cheaper:
    High Quality Rechargeable 8.4v 4*18650 4400 mAh bicycle light battery pack for solarstorm X2 bike light of battery set-in Rechargeable Batteries from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

How much better is the 3B bin?
    Its just different. 99% of chinese bike lights use T6-U2 leds with very low CRI and bluish-cool white color of the light. 3B is neutral white with better color rendering and warmer color of the light.
    This seller from ali makes custom lights/flashlights by installing better leds like XM-L2 3B, but you can also do it yourself at home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just ordered the below, its a risk, but anyone in this sport who rides at night knows how hard it is to turn away from possible danger, Ill get it in about 2 weeks 72$ on ebay!!

7 x CREE LED XML XM-L T6 LED 9800 lumens Bicycle Light

http://image4.pushauction.com/0/0/7f...38ca93037e.jpg

Here are the specs

Features:

Can be used as Headlamp or Bicycie Light.
    Model of LED: 7x CREE XM-L T6 LED.
    LED Life:100,000 hours.
    Discharge Time:180 minutes(100% brightness).
    Output brightness comes to max 9800 lumens[lm].
    Input : 100-240V AC / Output : 8.4V - 1000mA
    Modes operated by PUSH button.
    3 switch Mode: high / low / strobe.
    waterproof design
    Aluminum alloy casing
    lAluminum alloy reflector
    Internal wiring applies the high efficient booster circuit, working voltage is wide and can utilize the batteries in the largest extent.
    Equipped with an elastic & adjstable headlamp band and 2 plastic rings, very convenient.
    Suitable for cycling, climbing, fishing, hunting, camping and other outdoor activities.
    Model of Battery required: 1 x 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack
    Weight : 200g(Just the headlight)

6*18650 Rechargeable battery pack Specification:

Brand new and high quality.
    Suitable for SSC-P7/XML-T6 LED / U2 LED Head Lamp / Bike Lamp
    Battery capacity: 9600mAh
    Voltage: 8.4V

WARNING:

DO NOT dispose in fire or heat.
    DO NOT puncture, damage and disassemble.NOTE:

Specification charger:

100% Brand New and high quality Super strong protection.
    Brand New and High quality.
    Input : AC 100V - 240V.
    Output : DC 8.4V.
    LED indication for Power On / Charging / Full charge.
    Weight: 69g.

Package Included:

100% Brand New
    1 x CREE XM-L 7xT6 LED Light(Can be used as Headlamp or Bicycle Light)
    2 x Rubber ring for installation
    1 x 8.4v 6*18650 Battery Pack 9600mAh
    1 x Charger (100v-240v)(US Plug Or EU Plug will send according to your country)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any updates? Very interested in #4. Thanks for the analysis!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1990 View Post
    Gemini Duo clones

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I've got the itch to try some new lights. In the interest of "taking one for the team", I'd like to branch out and get one that looks interesting but hasn't yet been sampled by MTBR. I'm also going to order one of the "safe bets" just in case. I'm open to ordering from any of the usual suspects: lightmalls, fastech, dx etc. For a baseline, I'm currently running a MS mj-872 and a 1*XML from dx which I grafted a much improved lens into. I have a DSLR and will take pics of the fresh recruit against these for reference.

So! Feedback please from the regulars. The following have caught my eye, but I'm open to suggestions. I know some of these have been mentioned in other threads but I haven't yet seen a full workup on them.

Contestant #1: Magicshine look-a-like from the front. I know this one has been mentioned elsewhere, but I didn't find a formal assessment.

MTB MJ-880 2*Cree XM-L U2 2000-Lumen 4-mode LED Mountain bike light - lightmalls online Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    Likes: Appears to have the battery pack which accepts individual cells.
    Dislikes: Orange peel reflector? Don't know if this is a + or a - to most.

Attachment 835557

Contestant #2: BMW angle eyez Playa!
    New Bike Light For BMW LED HeadLight Style | 2*Cree XM-L2 3-Mode 3000-Lumen Bike Light Lamp Cap ( Not include Battery pack) - Bicycle Lights Lamp Cap - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    Dislikes: Seems overpriced compared to the others and doesn't include batteries
    Attachment 835560

Contestant 3A
    High Power 2U2 Bike Light / 2*Cree XM-L U2 1200 Lumen 5 Modes Bike Light Set With 4*18650 Battery - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    Dislikes: Modes aren't likely to make most here happy. I generally don't mess with the light during the ride so I don't mind the epilepsy inducing strobe.
    Attachment 835563

Contestant 3B
    High Powerful 2* Cree XM-L U2 3Modes 1200Lumen Headlamp With Charger (2*18650) - Bicycle Light & Headlamp Worldwide Free Shipping!!!
    Likes: Looks like it's the same as 3A, but includes a helmet mount 2x18650 holder for individual cells. Also significantly cheaper than 3A
    Dislikes: Only rated for 1200 lumens. Did they decided to only double the maximum theoretical output or are the LEDs driven at a low amperage?
    Attachment 835564

Contestant 4
    $51.18 YINDING 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1800-Lumen White LED Bike Light / Headlamp - 1*battery pack (4*18650 / 4400mAh / 2S2P) / US plug at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Likes: Looks like a nice, compact form factor. Lots of external ribs for heat dissipation, though who knows if there is any heat path to it from the emitter?
    Dislikes: A little pricier than the other options. Doesn't instill confidence since it lacks "fire!" in the branding. My homeowner's insurance recommends only purchasing Chinese electronics with the word "fire" in it.
    Attachment 835565

Contestant 5
    $40.00 MT-U2 2*Cree XM-L U2 4-Mode 1500-Lumen White LED Bike Head Light - black + blue / 1*battery pack (4*18650/3200mAh/2S2P) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Dislikes: Not sure how I'm going to access the clamp screw when attaching it to my helmet.
    Attachment 835572

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there we have it. I'm also planning on buying a Solarstorm X2 as my "safe bet" option, though I'm open to suggestion on this as well. What say you oh knowledgeable connoisseurs of cheap light?

Any other information about the "Contestant 2".

The BMW angel light feature is great!

1. What should I expect from the output?
    2. What's better, this light or a 4x XM-L?
    3. Is this a good thrower (compared with car high beams)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1990 View Post
    Haven't received them yet. The mj-880 clone shipped from Kaidomain about a week ago. The Duo Clone (#4) was on order at Fasttech. They shipped some other things I ordered but listed the light as "pending". I saw in another thread that someone received word from Fasttech that they were sold out. Lots of other sites started listing this as out of stock as well even though Fasttech showed it as being ready to ship. I rolled the dice and ordered a red one from dx.com and when it shipped a week later I cancelled the still "pending" order at Fasttech. So, I'm guessing it'll be at least another three weeks before I have it in hand.

mtbr member
    Other informations about #2?

Does anyone have this light?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyan27 View Post
    Other informations about #2?

Does anyone have this light?
    I do, I am still awaiting my battery parts so I can test it properly. It is a clone of the Jexree "Owl" which is probably a clone of something else, I don't know what. Thers are more available here: Jexree BAT OWL 2 3 U2 LED Cree Bicycle Bike Light Flashlight 1800LM T6 5000 6000 | eBay
    the only other place I have seen the "Owl"'s big brother, the "Bat" which I have also ordered. I have taken apart the "Owl" and posted pics in this thread here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...ck-881807.html

Maybe Kir has beamshots, but it looks pretty robust on the inside if you wanted to mod it a bit.

mtbr member
    Theoretical lumen output?

Will this be close to 1500-1600?

I would like to see nightshots.

I'm planning to buy one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendank View Post
    I do, I am still awaiting my battery parts so I can test it properly. It is a clone of the Jexree "Owl" which is probably a clone of something else, I don't know what. Thers are more available here: Jexree BAT OWL 2 3 U2 LED Cree Bicycle Bike Light Flashlight 1800LM T6 5000 6000 | eBay
    the only other place I have seen the "Owl"'s big brother, the "Bat" which I have also ordered. I have taken apart the "Owl" and posted pics in this thread here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...ck-881807.html

Maybe Kir has beamshots, but it looks pretty robust on the inside if you wanted to mod it a bit.
    Anything new?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anything new?
    Not yet. Still waiting on the panasonics and battery case as well as the Jexree "Bat" to arrive. Not too keen on taking the "Owl" apart again until I've got a better idea of want I want out of the light. I will post as soon as I've got something helpful, but I'm kind of hoping Kir does it first.
    In the meantime, I am happily consoling foreign girls after I guide them down the local trails in the dark, and the "Owl" resides amongst my many other electronics works-in-progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Theoretical lumen output?

Will this be close to 1500-1600?

I would like to see nightshots.

I'm planning to buy one!
    It's a very good design, it runs at 1000mA so if it does indeed have 2 xm-l2 u2's in there, you'll be getting 2 * 500 lumens approximately. an increase in amperage will increase the LED's output obviously, but I won't be certain this is really necessary until I've got the thing powered up and on the trail, hopefully before the snow-line drops too low.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anything new?
    I am very interested in the review/experince too.
    Am torn between this and a SolarStrorm x2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hello! I received the "Bat" and all of my battery stuff a few days ago. I haven't found a good spot (or camera) to take night shots, but I have taken both the Bat and the Owl out on the road and was impressed. The "daytime running lights" are more than bright enough to be used on their own while riding nights in the city, and I used the emergency SOS on the Owl a few times out of curiousity which resulted in the immediate slowdown and/or stopping of all facing vehicles - handy when you take a left at an intersection, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you are genuinely in an emergency, like being mugged or attacked by a bear or something, you could easily cause an accident with this setting. The running lights on both lights have the strobe option, but the Bat has only 1) flood lights only 2) flood lights & spot 3) flood lights & spot flashing- which isn't very useful.

The form factor and robustness of these lights inspires confidence, though I haven't figured out how to take the Bat apart yet, it arrived with the two flood barrels on the sides a bit loose so that both could be rotated about 90, so where I took the Owl apart out of curiousity, I will take the Bat apart to see if I can rectify this, though I still can't see any obvious way of taking it apart. Another thing is it has that glowing green waterproofing seal on the inside of the spot lens, which some can find really annoying when it colours the light. The Bat seems more like a light you would modify, and the Owl seems pretty great out of the box.

My Owl clone claims to use XM-L2 U2's and I purchased it from here: NEW LED Bike Light 2 Cree XM L2 3 Mode 3000LUMEN Bike Light Lamp Lamp Only | eBay

My Jexree Bat I purchased from here: Jexree BAT OWL 2 3 U2 LED Cree Bicycle Bike Light Flashlight 1800LM T6 5000 6000 | eBay

The Panasonic Batteries, Battery case, an Nitecore charger I got from Dealextreme:
    Batteries:
    Genuine Panasonic 18650 3100mAh Rechargeable Battery with Protection Board - Green (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Battery Case:
    PANNOVO B-C04 Water Resistant 4 x 18650 Battery Pack Case for Bike Lamp - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Charger:
    NITECORE Universal Intelligent 4-Slot Rechargeable Battery Charger (2-Flat-Pin Plug / 100~240V) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Absolutely no issues with the batteries from DX or even the mystery chinese batteries that came with the Bat. I think for the value one is much better off buying the Owl clone
    Light head seperately, then buying the panasonics, case, and charger from DX, though the thread on the battery case cable is too large to thread onto the Owl cable, it should be a simple fix but that's for another time. For functionality out of the box, I would take the Jexree Owl clone over the Solarstorm X2 any day.

Hopefully Kir figures out how to take the Bat apart before I wreck something.

Edit: I neglected to mention the buttons: defintely of the "set and forget" variety; they require firm and direct pressure to trigger them, and aren't protruding much from the surface, so you'll likely be finding yourself pausing during your ride to change the settings if you're wearing full gloves. I think a dollop of glue or something to add height and grippiness to the buttons will be in order if you like to play with your lights a lot while on the move.
    Last edited by Vilendank; 11-23-2013 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    For functionality out of the box, I would take the Jexree Owl clone over the Solarstorm S2 any day.
    Thank you for the short details.
    Yes its obviously more functional. But I am more interested in the lighting, flod, etc in comparison to the SSX2.
    Do you have an SSX2 to compare?

Anyway I (and am sure many others) am really awaiting some outdoor pics (even if its just on the road or backyard).
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I can post some shots tonight from my shitty phone camera, but I'll see if I can grab another camera as well. I know I overstepped my bounds by claiming the Owl clone was better than the SSX2 since I don't have one myself, just basing my opinion on the specs and reviews Kir and others have posted and comparing that info to what I have seen from the Owl (that, and the "new thingy" enthusiasm). The biggest plus apart from it's usefulness without any alterations is that it looks very easy to mod and improve upon, not to mention the broad spectrum of questionable variations in the quality of SSX2 clones out there. The fact that there are only two variations on the jexree stuff I consider a plus when playing chinese light roulette...

edit: Just tried taking some shots in the darkened hallway outside my bedroom, works okay when the lights are on High settings but any lower and I get some serious banding effects. I'll definitely have to borrow a camera for this. I'll try get some pics up tonight (should be dark enough in about 4 hours), but be prepared to be underwhelmed by my photographic capabilities.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am only interested really in medium and high. Also the strob and "cirle) light i am confused about. Is that a separate led? How does it work exactly?
    I like something to blink on my daily rides (so drivers notice me). Is that the function that you said is so hard that motorist actually stopped?
    I will be buying 2 x of which ever I end up choosing. Both will be on my handle bar. I am planing to use one generally (set at normal hight) and the second for when I am in the forest and heed to see branches too (so this would be aimed higher), when I dont have to worry about blinding people.
    This is why I am interested in the bean/flud or what ever the right word is. No really how bright it is, but how well it light up the surroundings.
    The (no very smart) seller on ebay has a video of the light, but only indoors, so its not very useful information to see it shined on a wall 1 meter in from of him.
    Thank again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Both the Bat and the Owl have "Running lights" which are the transparent circles you see surrounding the exterior of the lens, these are separate from the main leds, have their own control button, and are perfect for allowing drivers to see you, though they don't illuminate much in front of you, they are very bright to look at. They have two settings: steady and strobe. The strobe I used to stop traffic and get yelled at is a function triggered on the main LEDs on the Owl by holding their button down for >1 second, not from the "running lights." The Bat is actually quite nice and floody, and the spot quite effective as well, but I won't know how the throw compares to the Owl until I test them both properly tonight. I also note that the Owl has that "halo of not-so-bright-light" between it's hotspot and flood area, which some find annoying, and the Bat doesn't seem to have this issue due to it's side lights...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm just going to throw these up here before I go to bed, some are crap but I don't have time to sort 'em out at the moment. Bloody battery on the camera was dying so I was a little too hurried with a few of them, shaky hands from the blood pumping , and steam from my breathing hasn't helped them. But here are the shots, the little reflective strips you see in the distance is my camelbak mounted on a stump 70 metres away:

Helmet mounted Jexree Owl Clone on High: Name:  IMG_1394.JPG
Views: 885
Size:  25.1 KB

Dimensions 2048 x 1536
    File name IMG_1394.JPG
    File size 387.68K
    Camera Canon PowerShot A560
    Focal Length 5.8 mm
    Exposure 1s
    F Number f/2.6
    ISO 200

Helmet mounted Jexree Owl Clone on Med: Name:  IMG_1395.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  18.2 KB

Dimensions 2048 x 1536
    File name IMG_1395.JPG
    File size 299.62K
    Focal Length 5.8 mm
    Exposure 1s
    F Number f/2.6
    ISO 200

Helmet mounted Jexree Owl Clone on Low: Name:  IMG_1396.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  10.4 KB

Dimensions 2048 x 1536
    File name IMG_1396.JPG
    File size 197.39K
    Focal Length 5.8 mm
    Exposure 1s
    F Number f/2.6
    ISO 200

Bar Mounted Jexree Bat flood only (I think): Name:  IMG_1392.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  18.0 KB

Dimensions 2048 x 1536
    File name IMG_1392.JPG
    File size 295.25K
    Focal Length 5.8 mm
    Exposure 1s
    F Number f/2.6
    ISO 200

Bar Mounted Jexree Bat Flood and Spot (again I'm not sure. it was freezing and the camera battery was dying, so I rushed a little): Name:  IMG_1393.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  21.2 KB

Dimensions 2048 x 1536
    File name IMG_1393.JPG
    File size 310.58K
    Focal Length 5.8 mm
    Exposure 1/3
    F Number f/2.6
    ISO 200

Glamour Shot: Name:  IMG_1402.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  16.0 KB

Running lights on solid (helmet & bar): Name:  IMG_1383.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  3.3 KB

Good night!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very nice Thank you.
    Only interested in the Owl BTW. So all my question are with regards to that).

I like the bean, I think its just as nice as SS X2.

More question:
    Is it smaller or bigger in general size compared to SS?
    Does it have an battery drain display function (that is to know when its getting close depleted)? Like do the buttons change color or something? I hate charging after every ride, so I plan on getting a HUGE battery pack (something like ~10,000.-) So I will need a way to feel when its getting low.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    In regards to size, I believe Kir has posted a photo of all of his lights side by side, with the Owl (I think) and SSX2 in the same photo, you could search his posts (it might even be in this thread) and see the difference, but I'm sure the Owl is larger.

Yes, as is visible in the "Glamour Shot" there is an led ring around the button interface which indicates Green = full power charge and I believe Red = low battery. There may be a middle step but I have not run it all the way down through the battery's charge yet. Mostly used the running lights on the hour or so climb up the mountain, so everything was still indicating green after the trip down.

Shot of both lights mounted for size comparison (running lights are turned on on both): Name:  IMG_1385.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  18.7 KB

Some shots of the Owl mounted on helmet : Chinese light roulette!  Help me place my bets!-img_20131124_145805.jpg
    Chinese light roulette!  Help me place my bets!-img_20131124_145700.jpg
    Chinese light roulette!  Help me place my bets!-img_20131124_145630.jpg

I would also like to note that the difficulty pushing the buttons was not as tedious as I had expected, even with insulated gloves on. It was a bit of a learning curve, developing a feel for what angle and how firmly to press, but I got the hang of it before the DH portion of the ride last night. Still might be a good idea to introduce some bumpy bits to the buttons.

The "Running Lights" are perfect if you have to do a trail stop, fix something, or even for those slow climbing sections I get about a good 10 metres of ambient lighting, though for more technical climbs I would use the main LEDs.

I would also recommend changing the way the light is mounted, the mount that it comes with can be removed and replaced easily, I just don't trust that silicon rings to last.
    Last edited by Vilendank; 11-24-2013 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm just going to throw these up here before I go to bed, some are crap but I don't have time to sort 'em out at the moment. Bloody battery on the camera was dying so I was a little too hurried with a few of them, shaky hands from the blood pumping , and steam from my breathing hasn't helped them....

Glamour Shot: Name:  IMG_1402.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  16.0 KB
    This photo shot of the Bat I find interesting. Most of the cheap clones lights really don't have as much of a flood beam pattern but the Bat seems to do a good job of provide light not only far out but close to the bike as well. Some people will really like that feature. The Owl and Bat combo look awesome.

While the quality of the photos are lacking I have to give you kudos for effort because I know how hard it is to take photos in the cold. It also needs to be mentioned that most small cameras don't really function well in the cold, even with freshly charged cells. This is one reason why I don't try taking photos anymore outside once it gets cold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    This photo shot of the Bat I find interesting. Most of the cheap clones lights really don't have as much of a flood beam pattern but the Bat seems to do a good job of provide light not only far out but close to the bike as well. Some people will really like that feature. The Owl and Bat combo look awesome.

While the quality of the photos are lacking I have to give you kudos for effort because I know how hard it is to take photos in the cold. It also needs to be mentioned that most small cameras don't really function well in the cold, even with freshly charged cells. This is one reason why I don't try taking photos anymore outside once it gets cold.
    Thanks!

I was ready to be underwhelmed by the Bat, but it was actually a very effective stand-alone bar light.
    Even with the inefficient xml and xpgs it is easily a one-light + two battery packs setup for the minimalist.
    If I could just figure out how to disassemble it safely it should be as easy to upgrade as the Owl. I'd have to say a neutral colour on both of these lights would make an awesome combination, but going with medium setting on the Owl and flood only on the Bat seem to prevent that cool-white 'washout' on the higher settings. That said, I had no problems with both on High on the technical descent, I would say I was at my normal speed if not even faster.
    Even got lost due to overconfidence and had an encounter with park security because I shined the lights directly at him, apparently he thought it was a major s&r operation because of all the lights.

Next time I'll bring the right backup batteries for the camera, AA's instead of AAA's, such a dummy sometimes.
    Last edited by Vilendank; 11-24-2013 at 05:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am much more inclined to go for this owl. I have discussed with the person from the same place you ordered from to buy 2 pcs without batter. I will get better ones from somewhere else (Samsung or Sanyo maybe). Anyway what it this particular connection called? Does it have a name? The one on this (and as I see other lights too) that has screw on. I want to get a Y-cable to be able to drive the two from one big battery pack. Probably something like this: 1x Sanyo Li ion 18650 7 4V 10400mah Battery Pack with PCM 8Cells to 2S4P w Plug | eBay

Have been reading reliable info about the Hunk Lee guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Most of the cheap clones lights really don't have as much of a flood beam pattern but the Bat seems to do a good job of provide light not only far out but close to the bike as well.
    I think the same effect can be achieved with 2 x 2 XM-L clones and changing outer lenses or reflectors for 60/90/120 degree TIR lenses or another flood optic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast