mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cheap upgrade for an old 600L for a visiting european?

Greetings to all!

I am visiting the US for another month, and wanted to use the opportunity to upgrade my lights. I run a Dinotte 600L with two 4cell batteries that are just about dead. I even opened one and put new cells in, but it's a pain. The wify uses MS-808 and likes it.

I am on a budget, so I am looking for a cheap light, but not so cheap I need to think about reliability. I only use the bar light, and don't do twisty fast DH stuff, so I prefer the smooth and WIDE beam of my 600L to some mega throwers with a small and bright spots. So I would basically be very happy with a more powerful 600L, the smaller the better, with a white beam, not blue like 600L was. These are my choices, but you might know of more.

Ah, and yes, I really do care about the run times, would love to have the equivalent of 600L on the brightest for 3 hours!

- MS-872, 130 USD, the cheapest option, probably decent, low quality
    - MS-880, 187 USD, The most light, like the looks, but it seems like XM-L's are overdriven?
    - Dinotte XML-3 260USD, quality and a great beam, but a bit expensive
    - Donotte 1200L Plus, 350USD, the most expensive, but is it worth the 90 USD price diff?
    - Gemini Olympia 300USD I see is popular now, but I don't know how good?

I can basically almost get 2 MS-872 for the best Dinotte. Given I want a smooth wide beam, lot's of white light, and bar mounted only for now, and am on a budget, but not so tight I would completely compromise reliablity, what say you good people. I hope CAT has something to say!

Greetings from Atlanta,

Domi
    Last edited by dmalovic; 07-31-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: errors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmalovic View Post
    Greetings to all!

I am visiting the US for another month, and wanted to use the opportunity to upgrade my lights. I run a Dinotte 600L with two 4cell batteries that are just about dead....

I can basically almost get 2 MS-872 for the best Dinotte. Given I want a smooth wide beam, lot's of white light, and bar mounted only for now, and am on a budget, but not so tight I would completely compromise reliablity, what say you good people. I hope CAT has something to say!

Greetings from Atlanta,

Domi
    Looks like you have a couple pressing issues: Time ( one month ), and money ( not so much ). Since you only have a month, the clock is ticking. You need something fast.

Options:
    1) Buy a new battery from Dinotte for near $100. (Not) I own a 600L too so I know what kind of beam pattern you will expect but I wouldn't buy a replacement Dinotte battery for the 600L if I were you. . You could also trade your 600L in and get a discount from DiNotte on an XML-3. Beam pattern is similar to a 600L only a heck of a lot brighter. That would bring the price closer to $200 and would be the better way to go IMO. DiNotte is usual pretty good at getting something shipped really fast so not a bad way to go.

2) Look on the Action LED website. I would suggest the current offering of a MagicShine 808E that is listed at a very decent price ( $84 ). It has three steady modes and one push and hold to flash. It is also offered with a wired remote option. I'd go with just the standard rear button but to each their own. The 808E beam patterns are a nice mix of flood and throw. As such works nice on the helmet or the bars. For the bars you might want a wider beam . Action led sells a wide lens that fits the 808E's. If you go with the 808E I'd buy the extra lens just to see how it works. A lot of people like the wider lens. I believe Action Led ships out of Illinois so it shouldn't take but a few days if you have the option for over-night shipping.

3) Option 3, your local bike shop. With only a month to go you can't doddle around or be too picky. Find something fast that works and enjoy our great country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What about the 872 and 880 options. Is that not more light. I could go up to 300 if warranted? But I would like to know how they compare to the 600L. Is 880 really an overkill. I can get either one in 2 days , for 130 and 180 USD respectively.

mtbr member
    What about the 872 and 880 options. Is that not more light. I could go up to 300 if warranted? But I would like to know how they compare to the 600L. Is 880 really an overkill. I can get either one in 2 days , for 130 and 180 USD respectively.
    I don't think the 872 will out-throw the 600L , the 880 should without a problem. The 872 has been known to have over-heating problems. Not an issue though if you mostly use the lower modes or live in a cooler climate.

If $200 is not a problem you might want to consider getting the lamp that I'm now currently using, the Gloworm X2 ( version 2 ). ( listing @ $259 They can probably ship from their U.S. office but you need to check on that. ) Check with Vag, they did have a discount program going there for a while. Heck, tell him I sent you maybe he'll give you a discount. stranger things have happened. Also take a look at this Gloworm thread post. Send Vag a PM. See what he can do for you. The Gloworm X2 is definitely one of the best lamps in this price range. ( here is the Gloworm thread. I wouldn't read the whole thing but the last 40 posts should do. )

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know you're talking. This is awesome advice. Just tell me what is wrong with 880?

Domi

mtbr member
    I know you're talking. This is awesome advice. Just tell me what is wrong with 880?

Domi
    Nothing as far as I know. I do know it has two buttons for controlling mode changes. Not sure how that works out. There are other threads with more info. check this out.

Oh, I forgot to mention if you get a Gloworm X2 your wife will hate you for not getting her one. ...and If that doesn't happen she will thank you for buying her a new light and then she will ask you why you didn't buy one for yourself as well. .. ( *Hey , I'm not married but I know how this stuff works. )

**Edit...this might be of interest to you. > MJ880 link, notice the prices.
    Also of note, MagicShineAu has the Mj-880 with XM-L U-2 emitters. Not sure how long it would take to get here though but worth a couple extra days to get the U-2'. Send Len an email to check on shipping prices and times. Tell him Cat sent you.

Last note: I get nothing for providing links to vendors...just for the record. I just try to help people who are asking for help.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 08-01-2012 at 03:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmm, did some more reading today, and looked at the beams. Definitely gave up on 872 with poor throw and overheating. I like what Rob does @ Dinotte, underdriving his lights so 3xXML emits 1200lm which is plenty, and I can easily run it at MID level, and get about 4 hours of light.

But the Glowoem X2 and 880 are great contenders, esp given their prices. Tough decisions indeed!

Domi

mtbr member
    Hmm, did some more reading today, and looked at the beams. Definitely gave up on 872 with poor throw and overheating. I like what Rob does @ Dinotte, underdriving his lights so 3xXML emits 1200lm which is plenty, and I can easily run it at MID level, and get about 4 hours of light.

But the Glowoem X2 and 880 are great contenders, esp given their prices. Tough decisions indeed!

Domi
    I was gonna get an XML-3 with my 600L trade in but DiNotte didn't offer me enough for the 600L. Long story short I ended up with the new Gloworm X2. Regardless, no hard feelings on my part. The XML-3 is used by others who have been very pleased.

More food for thought....this was on the Amazon link I gave you > Mj 880 from Brightstonesports. I recall other people buying from Brightstone and being very happy with the vendor. Ships out of N.C. so just a stone's throw from where you are. Can't argue about the price.

Most of the XM-L lamps I see right now are using the T-6 version. Some have the brighter U-2's . While I have no inside line on Cree emitter production I have a gut feeling that a new ( brighter ) version of the XM-L with be released before the year is out. If so, everyone will want the new stuff and the prices on the current crop of XM-L lamps should drop like a rock.

Check with DiNotte, see if they are using the U-2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cat, I PMed and entailed the Gloworm guy asking for help, to no avail. You happen to have a phone number or something? And the MS-880 is a click and a day away

Have you ever compared the beams of your X2 and the 880?

mtbr member
    Cat, I PMed and entailed the Gloworm guy asking for help, to no avail. You happen to have a phone number or something? And the MS-880 is a click and a day away

Have you ever compared the beams of your X2 and the 880?
    The Gloworm people might be busy. Undoubtedly their product has become very popular. Then again they might be on vacation. No way to know. I'll try posting on their subscribed thread, maybe that will get their attention.

No, I have no comparison of the X2 to the 880 but this I know: The 880 uses one flood emitter set-up and one spot. The X2 is shipped with one flood optic and one spot optic but is also shipped with an extra lens of your choice ( spot or flood ). The duel spot set-up is what I ( and many others ) prefer. Either set-up on the X2 works very well. At least with X2 you can change optics. I don't think the 880 has that option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Another drawback to X2 I noticed is batt charge indicator on the battery, which renders batt replacement a hassle, or you are left without an indicator. How do you feel about it?

And I love the flood beam, as well, but was not blown away by the light comparison from torch. Than again, as you reiterate, even 872 looks smoother in the beam, but one cannot judge the reach.

And while I am typing, how about a 3000lm Fluxient? that looks sick?

mtbr member
    Another drawback to X2 I noticed is batt charge indicator on the battery, which renders batt replacement a hassle, or you are left without an indicator. How do you feel about it?

And I love the flood beam, as well, but was not blown away by the light comparison from torch. Than again, as you reiterate, even 872 looks smoother in the beam, but one cannot judge the reach.

And while I am typing, how about a 3000lm Fluxient? that looks sick?
    Actually, few lamps offer battery indicators. Some people like them but I never trust battery indicators. Basically I think they are a distraction. I don't use the Gloworm battery on my X2. Since my battery is smaller in capacity I already know about how long it would run on*high. ( * about two hours ). Most of my rides I never have to use high so even on a planned epic (4-5hrs ) I would likely be fine with just the one battery.

Keep in mind the X2 light head has a circuit for sensing low voltage ( regardless of what battery you use ). The lamp will blink when or if the voltage gets low enough ( per Vag ). That's enough warning for me. Personally I don't ever think I would ever see that happen on most of the rides I take. I never worry about stuff like that anyway as I always have a back-up torch on the bars.

About the 3000lm Fluxient: Yeah it's bright. Bigger and heavier too and with a larger battery. The beam pattern too blue for my taste. A real shame more companies don't give you a choice of emitter bin when you buy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hate the blue. That's why I am happy not using the 600L any more.

Just heard from Jim, and now it looks as a choice between the X2 and XML-3.

If I could only know which beam is wider, I would be a happy camper!

Domi

P.s. with batteries being so expensive, I might just switch to LiPo that I use for my RC Helicopter. cheap, small, and don't mind high discharge.

mtbr member
    Hate the blue. That's why I am happy not using the 600L any more.

Just heard from Jim, and now it looks as a choice between the X2 and XML-3.

If I could only know which beam is wider, I would be a happy camper!

Domi

P.s. with batteries being so expensive, I might just switch to LiPo that I use for my RC Helicopter. cheap, small, and don't mind high discharge.
    Just keep in mind the Dinotte batteries have their own plug configuration. They can be adapted to use a MS type battery but DiNotte does not want you to do that. Nothing wrong with DiNotte batteries, they just want a lot of money for them. One thing I do like about the DiNotte lights is that ( Like the 600L ) *they have a mode indicator on the back. Sometimes you do forget what mode you're in and with the DiNotte it was always nice to be able to glace down and see the flashing blue light doing it's thing. * I am assuming of course that they still work the same way.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the Mj 880 also uses a different type of a plug on this model. Not sure why MS did that but it was the biggest reason why I didn't buy one when they first came out.

The Gloworm X2 will work with any standard MagicShine, Bikeray type battery. If you want a replacement battery with a voltage read out those are available as a 4-cell sold my MS as well. You can also buy replacement 6 cell batteries as well if you need the longer run time. Personally I only like using 4 cell batteries. I rarely do rides that would require more capacity and replacement 4 cells can be had for a song. ( * I do recommend a good 5200mAh battery or larger though. These can be bought in many places without any problems, usually with either BAK or Sanyo cells. Either work very well. )

Between the DiNotte XML3 and the Gloworm X2...I don't know which has the wider beam. The optics on the X2 are "user friendly" which is a big selling point. Regardless the beam patterns will be very similar more than likely. Now if you want something you can install or take off fast, the DiNotte is probably more easy to deal with as it does not use a wired remote like the X2. On the other hand I like the mounting options with the X2 as the bracket allows you to move the lamp around in different ways. Personally I love a good wired remote but I can use either.