Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Cheap flashlights from gearbest.com

Are those 1000+ lumen flashlights that are 10 bucks and under at Gearbest.Com any good or cheap junk that's not going to last? In my experience some of these cheap led flashlights you buy at the checkout counters at most stores work for a while then have battery and switch problems a short while later. Do lights this powerful that use AAA and AA batteries have decent battery life? I have been using a mini mag light with led bulb that is around 200 lumens I think. I want something brighter and don't want to spend much.

mtbr member
    It's a lottery.

I've bought a few cheap torches, some are great and some are junk. Unfortunately they all look much the same from the outside. Question is, do you feel lucky....punk?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    It's a lottery.

I've bought a few cheap torches, some are great and some are junk. Unfortunately they all look much the same from the outside. Question is, do you feel lucky....punk?
    Lol. I just ordered 4 of those twofish lockblock light holders for 3 bucks a piece off Amazon so now I just need a good powerful light go strap in one of these babies. I suppose you get what you pay for. If I upped my price to 30-50 bucks on gearbest will I get a decent light?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You should look on "Budgetlightforum" for advice

If you would use 18650 batteries then it opens up a new world

mtbr member
    Iowa, there is certain ones that are good ones that arent. Im over on blf plenty too (im just an led nerd, not just bike lights). Have a few custom EDC lights, a convoy l4 and others.

Convoy and EE are the 2 brands I have a few different styles of, all have been flawless. But a 1k lumen flashlight either is only going to run 600 maintained (1k is turbo on a timer) OR their big c8 size lights. A convoy c8 or l4 will be good but very spotty beam, not a good bike light imo. S2+ or EE x6 is good beam pattern though not 1k lumens. I could ride with 2 s2+ on "high", normal reflector on bar light and smooth on helmet light. But run time is an hour with good Panasonic 3400mah cells. And I ride really tight and twisty stuff. But I prefer proper bike lights for run time and better output.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Gearbest seems to be very slow lately though just so you know.. an order I made 12 days ago was split, first parcel was sent after 7 days and the other 2 items, still not shipped

mtbr member
    Ya that's being worked on, biggest problem is they seem to only keep a small stock of anything except for top selling stuff.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    If I upped my price to 30-50 bucks on gearbest will I get a decent light?
    I don't know. It doesn't matter as the cost of the batteries is going to be huge anyway!

I used to use a flashlight on my bike, still do sometimes but I bought some SolarStorm X2 and X3 lights instead as they use rechargeable batteries. Overall it's much cheaper.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I don't know. It doesn't matter as the cost of the batteries is going to be huge anyway!

I used to use a flashlight on my bike, still do sometimes but I bought some SolarStorm X2 and X3 lights instead as they use rechargeable batteries. Overall it's much cheaper.
    I agree on the batteries but you can buy rechargeable batteries even if the light itself s not a rechargeable light. That may be an economical alternative

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Look at this bike light for example, uses 4 AA's.. but the lumen output/battery life isn't that good.

Fenix BT10 Bike Light | Fenixtorch.co.uk

mtbr member
    For the flashlights i mentioned the price of cells isn't bad at all, single 18650 cell lights. Gearbest has Panasonic cells for like $5 each ($8ish each stateside). Chargers are like $20. Dont waste money on lights that use regular cells light AA, AAA etc. Useless for bike lights as they loose output from the moment you turn it on till battery is dead.

And lights I listed (and others) are available all over the place. Mtnelectronics.com is in Utah and sells the good budget lights, cells and everything in between. I buy from him all the time. Great place, prices are very close to buying from china directly.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Can't you buy rechargeable AA AAA batteries?

mtbr member
    Ya but they suck for this purpose regardless. Unless your talking commuting on somewhat lit streets/bike paths its a waste IMHO. Cost vs performance is far better going the 18650 celled batteries route for trail use.

Ps: You wont get near the output via aa/aaa battery lights that u will from 18650 lights
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm not sure if it's the same now but the last time I tried rechargeable AA's, they took forever to charge considering the capacity

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Before this thread I had never even heard of 18650 batteries. Are they AA on steroids?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan89 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same now but the last time I tried rechargeable AA's, they took forever to charge considering the capacity
    That's what I've found too.

mtbr member
    Their the cells used inside laptop battery packs. Their a lithium ion cell that's rechargeable. The numbers are actually the size designation. 18mm diameter and 65mm length.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ordered a Conway s2+ and a couple Sanyo batteries and a good charger. I got ghe highest chip set which is slightly over 1000 lumens but I plan on using mid range which should be around 500 lumens. They claim you can get close to 2.5 hours at mid range mode. I got a mini mag led pro that is 274 lumens and throws pretty good and used to use that on my bars but am going to attach it to my helmet. I am a flashlight guy so I decided to go this route.

mtbr member
    The S2+ will be a great light. My EDC is a Convoy S2 @ 2.1A (+/- 700 lumens) and it's been chucked through my snowblower chute and left in the snow for a couple weeks. Fantastic light. Very floody due to a small reflector size but should do very well on a bike. I built up a couple Convoy M1's for helmet use. Slightly larger reflector hence little more throw.

I'll 2nd Mountain Electronics (Washington state with Utah as an alternate).

-Garry

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ordered through fasttech as mtn electronics was sold out on everything I wanted. I am nervous that I ordered too high a chip in getting the 2500a but I figured as long as I used it on mid range mode it shouldn't be any different than a smaller chipset on high all the time. I hope I am right.

mtbr member
    You'll be fine. Plenty of people run them at 2.8A or higher. Just means it'll heat up quicker. Mine @ 2.1A gets pretty warm in use but never really too hot (though I don't leave it on for long periods. Moving air on a bike will keep it plenty cool enough.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Mine is the 2.8 version. Dont have any issues.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Before this thread I had never even heard of 18650 batteries. Are they AA on steroids?
    someone decided that it makes more sense to classify batteries by size rather than weird codes like AAA or CR125....

18650 = 18mm x 65mm, the 0 means "round".

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    someone decided that it makes more sense to classify batteries by size rather than weird codes like AAA or CR125....

18650 = 18mm x 65mm, the 0 means "round".
    It took me hours of searching to get my combo. Some places were out of stock of the particular LED tint that I wanted and the main issue was I couldn't just buy "any" batteries. The Convoy s2+ was speced at max battery length of 67 mm and given the supposed dangers of Li Ion cells I wanted to use porotected. Plus supposedly there is a lot of fake cells out there that are even crappier yet. All the decent protected cells were too long to fit in this light although depending on where you looked a lot of people were saying they would fit. I finally found some Sanyo cells that were protected and 67 mm long. My wife thought I was an idiot lol. She doesn't understand the complexity of being a first time buyer/consumer of raw 18650 cells that you actually removed to charge loose in a charger. As I quoted elsewhere " Man it is not like just going to the store and buy an 8 pack of Energizer AAs". Complicated stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Just be glad you didn't order from Gearbest. I ordered some Convoy S2+'s 2 weeks ago and not been shipped because something else I ordered was out of stock (which the website didn't say).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast