mtbr member
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Its a cheap chinese in my opinion because there is no detailed info about the battery.
    I would buy a smaller light like the solarstorm x2 or gemini duo clone for the same price but the light unit only and get the battery pack separately.

mtbr member
    Do all these lights use the same connector for the most part ? As in cheap Chinese / magic shine battery work ?
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

mtbr member
    Usually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    usually the plug will fit and make the light work, the question is...does it have water protection and o-ring, and is it a press-fit snap-on, or screw thread connector. they all will connect though that is pretty standard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    After the thrid cheap Chinese battery (all three bought from different sources) went suddenly dead on me in the middle of a night ride I finally gave up on this option. There are many perfectly good $100-$200 700+ lumen lights out there that are reliable and have a reputable brand behind them. I finally decided that my safety and my time was more valuable than saving the equivalent cost of a single trip to the grocery store.

Also, it's worth noting that the price gap has narrowed significantly in the past two years. A few years ago the price differential was huge between something like the MS 808 and the equivalent brand name lights. More recently, brand name lights have continued to plummet in price. When quality options like the Bontrager Ion 700 (which I have and love) are out there for $100, cheap Chinese lights stop making much sense.
    Last edited by hiro11; 1 Day Ago at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    After the thrid cheap Chinese battery (all three bought from different sources) went suddenly dead on me in the middle of a night ride I finally gave up on this option. There are many perfectly good $100-$200 700+ lumen lights out there that are reliable and have a reputable brand behind them. I finally decided that my safety and my time was more valuable than saving the equivalent cost of a single trip to the grocery store.

Also, it's worth noting that the price gap has narrowed significantly in the past two years. A few years ago the price differential was huge between something like the 801 and the equivalent brand name lights. More recently, brand name lights have continued to plummet in price. When quality options like the Bontrager Ion 700 (which I have and love) are out there for $100, cheap Chinese lights stop making much sense.
    Yeah , that Bontrager looks like a nice light , I've also been considering the Cygolite Expilion 800 , or the Light & Motion urban series lights ..

Light freak

Why not try a light built by a fellow cyclist?

I have been building custom, high performance lights for over 6 years now and stand behind every one that I have ever built. Guess what, you don't have to get a new light every time they release new LED's. I have been able to offer the upgrade of every light that I have built to the latest and greatest LED's and reflectors currently being used for a minimal fee.

As far as batteries, I am still using my original packs from 6 years ago!

Here is a link to my blog - Amoeba - the simplest "light" form

Here is a link to the search results on MTBR for "Amoeba bike lights" - http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=1297651

Shoot me a PM or an email if you would like to gear more information about me and my lights.

Jay

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Avoid exposing yourself to the experience that hiro11 wrote in post 6 and take a look at scar's Amoeba light. You'll get yourself some quality there!

With the China lights you're getting a product that is spec'd with the cheapest components, and the sloppiest assembly by people whose only interest is in seeing how many they can kick out in a day. IMO not worth trusting my night riding experiences to!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well it is certainly a Chinese light, but it's actually overpriced. These same exact lights can be found for $20.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've had the opposite experience. Out of the 6 or 7 cheap Chinese lights I've bought over the years, I think I've only had an issue with one set up, and it was just a weak battery.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post

Also, it's worth noting that the price gap has narrowed significantly in the past two years. A few years ago the price differential was huge between something like the MS 808 and the equivalent brand name lights. More recently, brand name lights have continued to plummet in price. When quality options like the Bontrager Ion 700 (which I have and love) are out there for $100, cheap Chinese lights stop making much sense.

mtbr member