Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkcoyle View Post
    [...] I feel reasonably confident that this is the best bike light combo currently available:

[...]

2) for the headlamp: SecurityIng® Outdoor Waterproof 1600LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp + 2X Battery + Charger - Amazon.com

[...]
    I appreciate the advice, but how did you attach the headlamp to a helmet? I ordered one of these, and it's a pretty nice light, but it doesn't seem to have any helmet compatible hardware and doesn't fit with the GoPro mount that came with my helmet (Bell Super).

If it's a homebrew solution that you rigged up, would you mind posting a couple pics or describing the process? Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I ride on a non-technical trail near my house so I don't wear a helmet - I just put the ligh over my hat. That said - do a search for "cree t6" - that's the incredible LED that just now hit the generic market - REI sells flashlights using this bulb for $240. Here's one that you could probably make work with a helmet: Amazon.com: CREE XML T6 Bicycle Headlight LED 3 Files 1200 Lumens: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Got a Cree XML T6 1200 Lumen on Amazon for $22 including shipping!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone find a creative way to mount a T6 to a helmet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkcoyle View Post
    I've been on a bike light rampage since I bought a fat bike for winter riding. I feel reasonably confident that this is the best bike light combo currently available: for less than $60 I have more lumens than a $400 setup a few years ago.

1) for the bike: Amazon.com: SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2800 Lumens Cree XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 6400mAh Battery Pack & Charger, Cree LED Bike Lmap Light Super Bright Lighting Lamp for Outdoor Sports Like Cmaping, Hiking, etc..: Sports & Outdoors

2) for the headlamp: SecurityIng® Outdoor Waterproof 1600LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Headlamp + 2X Battery + Charger - Amazon.com

that said, I think you could actually get bike with some jerry rigging for about $10: (I've also ordered these but they haven't come yet:

1) for the bike: $5.44 Amazon.com: NowAdvisor®Q5 CREE 240 Lumen LED Bike Bicycle Headlight Torch: Sports & Outdoors

2) and for the headlamp $4.00 Amazon.com: Cree 5w 300lm LED Zoomable Headlamp: Sports & Outdoors

All of these use the new Cree LED diodes which are very bright and, in theory, can last 50,000 plus hours. It is a whole new world out there...
    I like your setup. I too have removed the elastic straps from a headlamp and like it so far. I ordered a pair of protected Panasonic 18650 batteries, so the runtime should outlast a single cell Niteride Lumina or torch. Hey are you using the headlamp mount? I like the positioning ability, but I swapped it for a standard Magicshine o-ring mount for a quick (1 screw) solution. The red rear led is a nice bonus. 2 velcro rings on the back and it's done and feels solid. Will let you know on the runtime with the 3100 mAh batteries.

FWIW, I later saw this one: SecurityIng® 2 x CREE XM-L T6 LED 3-Mode 1800LM Headlamp, CREE LED Lamp Headlight with Adjustable Base (No Battery) - Led Lights - Amazon.com

Oh well, next year . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I say go with the cheap ebay ones from China. You can't expect these things to be as reliable or as good quality as the pucker ones but they are a tenth of the price so who cares!? Mine cost £18 each and lasts for 3 hours! I run two at a time with one being enough to allow me to carry on riding if the other fails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2