Thread: Charging Speed

mtbr member

Charging Speed

does it annoy you when your light system ships with a charger that takes 6 - 7 hours to charge the battery ?

i have 6 rechargeable lights on the bike right now and sometimes when i come after a ride i just want to shower and sleep and don't really want to plug all of the lights in because that does take a bit of time, especially for the Red Zone 8 where you'd be lucky to get the cap off the charging port at all.

so i end up putting it off until the next day, but then by the time i get around to it there is no longer time left for them to charge because they take half a day.

why do phones come with 2 hour chargers ( and so do good lights, like Dinotte ) but others think that 6 or 7 hours is fine.

do you find it as annoying as i do ? or do you simply put it on charger before bed and have no issue with it ?

L&M Seca 1700 came with a charger that only puts out 500MA at 12V so it only puts out 6 watts ! this is pathetic ! my USB chargers are 10 watts, and they are 10 bucks a piece, and this is a $80 "smart charger" and it puts out 6 watts - what are they smoking ? According to the manual it takes 6 hours to charge the 3 cell battery - but i think it took closer to 7 hours yesterday for the initial charge as the light came in.

What if you haven't done any riding at night for a little while, and the battery ran down a bit by itself due to leakage - and then you want to go for a ride - will you go out with a flat battery or will you wait for hours until it recharges ? or will you keep charging the battery every night even though you may not ride at night for weeks ? this is silly.

my opinion is all chargers should be 2 hour chargers or faster. it doesn't require any fundamentally different technology - just a slightly bigger charger. macbook charger is still compact and it's 85 watts. Dell has a thin 240 watt charger ( well, AC adapter ):

and you can get it for the same $80 as the 6 watt L&M charger.

come on - 6 watts ? is this the best you can do Light & Motion ?

of course L & M has a charger that will do it in 1 hour 45 minutes, but it's not included - and it's not even listed on L&M website any more - being a multi-chemistry charger i think they probably discontinued it ! great ! so they had a 1 hour 45 min charger but they discontinued it in favor of 6 hour charger - awesome !

thankfully my slowest charging light at 7 hours runs on AA batteries which i could swap in 5 minutes ...

i guess i have 2 options:

1 - buy the multi-chem charger used on Ebay.

2 - use my brain and remember which light takes how long to charge and make sure to charge the slow ones in advance

you know, i really didn't want to have to use my brain, but considering that i'm broke i will probably have to go that route ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would suggest getting a hobby charger - I am happy with my Turnigy Accucell 6, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Otherwise you could always drop the batteries and go for a dynamo setup

mtbr member
    For light charging you either want overnight (because you have finished riding and are enjoying a beer or six), or immediate because you're mid ride (in which case a second battery pack is a good solution). Two hour chargers (and the associated costs of them) don't make a lot of sense.

ps
    Gears before beers.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    I would suggest getting a hobby charger - I am happy with my Turnigy Accucell 6, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Otherwise you could always drop the batteries and go for a dynamo setup
    that's an interesting product, but i think i got over my initial frustration with 6 hour charging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    For light charging you either want overnight (because you have finished riding and are enjoying a beer or six), or immediate because you're mid ride (in which case a second battery pack is a good solution). Two hour chargers (and the associated costs of them) don't make a lot of sense.

ps
    Gears before beers.
    yeah considering the price of chargers a second battery does seem to make more sense. but i don't really need either - i think i just like to complain.