mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Charging MS li ion packs with a Hobby charger.

This charger has been mentioned several times.
    HobbyKing 50watt 5A X-Charger/Balancer

Is this just a plug-n-play with the Magicshine style battery packs? ( or do I have to program it? And if so...what info should this battery newb know?)
    It looks like it comes with the correct plug?
    Anything else I should know?
    Thanks in advance....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Anything else I should know?

You need to supply your own power supply for this charger. That is available from hobbyking...

Hobbyking 105W 15V/7A Switching DC Power Supply

A laptop power supply works too as long as the max voltage is less than 19V. I pick those up from Goodwill for ~$5 when needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks.
    Vancbiker...do you use this style charger to charge MS style batteries>

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks.
    Vancbiker...do you use this style charger to charge MS style batteries>
    No, I use individual cells and holders. I think I'm going to get one of those type chargers for future projects and to test battery capacity. It will charge an MS style battery but will not be able to balance charge it unless a balance plug is wired into the pack. That is important IMO.

mtbr member
    And that lead with the dc plug on it is for powering it with a car battery etc, it has crock clips at the other end.
    You need that but with banana plugs on the other end to plug the battery into the charger. Just use the normal 2s lipo charge setting. something like this - ProTek R/C Transmitter Charge Lead (DC Plug to 4mm Banana Plugs) [PTK-5212] | Electric Accessories - A Main Hobbies

Im charging one right here right now but I also soldered on a balance lead to the circuit board so I can use the balance function on the charger and balance the pack properly.
    Last edited by Reign2Rider; 02-08-2013 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you Reign2rider!!
    So if I'm reading this right:
    So it will charge the pack....but it won't balance the individual batteries?

Will the display give you most of the info such as charge, etc?

Reign2 rider...could you post up some info on how to install the balance lead???

mtbr member
    It will charge it but wont balance it. Its 2s2p so you can only actually balance the two parallel pairs but better than nothing.. The charger that usually comes with the battery/lighthead doesn't balance charge it either.

I have re-wrapped the battery now so no pics of installing the balance lead but i have another one around here somewhere, when i get a chance I will open it up and show you where to connect it.

Have you got a pic of your battery? They do a few different ones. mine are just covered in black shrink wrap but they did one in a metal case with digital readout etc.

If you go the balance route you will also need one of these - JST-XH 2S Wire Extension 20cm (10pcs/bag)

One end plugs into the balance port of the charger, the other end gets cut off and wired onto battery circuit board.
    Last edited by Reign2Rider; 02-11-2013 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a couple of different batteries. None are actual MS batteries...I should have said MS style/clone.
    I got 1 from HiMax with their U2 light...it's about 1 3/4" x 1 3/4 x 2 and in a rubber cover ( I've gotten over 5 hours with that light)
    I got 1 that came with a 3 x XML light that is black shrink wrapped 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 that only gets about 1.5 hours on high
    And I got a battery pack from Kaidomain that is claimed 4 x 26650 12000mA that only gets about 2 hours on high on the 3 x light.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    And I got a battery pack from Kaidomain that is claimed 4 x 26650 12000mA that only gets about 2 hours on high on the 3 x light.
    With the best 26650s that I have heard of you can only get a 8000mA pack using 4 of them in a 7.4V setup. I'd be surprised if kaidomain is using the best available 26650s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree. I gave it a shot at only $25 and expected it to be not as claimed.
    I only got 2 hours out of it on the 3x XML.
    Was hoping for a little more than that.
    Going to give it another shot.
    Worse case scenario is I have an extra battery pack.
    I'll probably end up buying a battery pack from Action LED or Xeccon if these fizzle out.

I figure I got 2 good lights ( so far ) and 3 unknown quality battery packs for about $120...which is less than I paid for a double VistaLite set up back in the 90's...and that was like having a birthday candle on your bars ....

I'm just trying to figure if there's a better way to charge the batteries. Some of the hobby chargers give some charge info.....which may or may not be helpful. As opposed to a cheap little charger that has a green light on it.....

And is there a faster way to charge the batteries??

Like I've said...the Hi Max light has gone 5 hours...I don't need more than that.
    The 3x XML went about 1.5 hours...and the Kaidomain battery went about 2 ( and I may not have charged it fully). I can always run the light on 2 led mode ...but I did pay for 3...so why not use it.
    Last edited by the mayor; 02-12-2013 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Hobby charger will show you the amount of capacity it has tried to put into the battery when charging, but that doesnt mean it all went in..

To test the capacity of the pack you need to charge it first then run a discharge cycle on the hobby charger. At the end of that it will tell you the capacity it managed to draw from the pack. I would run the discharge cycle at about 1A (you can adjust this).