fc
    stoked Administrator

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool

Awesome find at Interbike was this Cateye Volt 6000. It's brighter than that as they like to measure 6000 lumens at the end of the battery charge, not just at turn on.

The key thing is it will stay bright since it has a built-in fan and ducted ports. Light body stays cool as it's not used as a heatsink.

Anybody else use a fan in production lights? Do they hold up. I should have this light to test sometime soon.

Interbike 2015: CatEye Volt 6000 is the brightest light today - Mtbr.com

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180179.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180180.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180181.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180182.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180183.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180185.jpg  

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-p9180187.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, that's impressive.

I wonder if we will reach a point where there is too much light. For that price point I would like to see some extra features though. For example a readout that shows how much battery life you have left. A simple indicator which shows which mode you are in. The ability to control multiple lights (head and helmet) with one remote. Maybe it does that already.

Looking forward to the review.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Either that light is stupid bright or, a little over exposed in the video. Very interesting product as I'm not familiar with the (chip board) Is that really 120leds?? I've seen other claimed 100watt multi led chip boards but not in a bike light. Would love to try one of these out to see the beam spread and range in person. Only concern is if there would be too much light in the near field? If not this could be the new standard for bar lights. Also wonder about the color rendition of that type of led board where it sits in K?

Fan durability is also something most of us would be concerned about. The elements and years of pounding tells me there would have to be some serious engineering executed for this product to last. Maybe this is it!!!!

I'm wondering if Cay-Eye has other helmet suited wireless products that could be controlled by one remote like the Lupines? Anyway they have really stepped up their game that's for sure.

mtbr member
    That's a crazy bright light. I guess you can never have enough light on the trail...except when you're blinding the rider coming towards you.

mtbr member
    Did you catch the price? I knew it would be nuts. Its $900!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting light, BUT no info about battery. I'm shure you need something like 1/2kg battery brick to run this beast. Those leds runs tipicaly at higher voltages. If I look Cree specifications Cree XLamp CXA LED Arrays: Highest Efficacy Lighting-Class LED Arrays otr Cree XLamp CXA2 LED Arrays: Higher performance to reduce system cost by up to 60% only one runs at 9V all others are at 18V or above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah the battery looks huge, but it has to huge to put out 6000 lumen for an hour. Here's the picture from the second page

Cateye Volt 6000 lumen - bright and cool-volt-6000-battery.jpg

RAKC
    ok i think we surpassed the "holy crap too much light" threshold lol. 6000 lumens, just over 1 lb battery pack....REALLY WHY? lol. Awesome tech but FFS. They did menation though and pics look like it, you could turn night into day over a broad area with this thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not shure, but does it has aspheric lenses? Anyway the light beam would be very broad and I doubt it throws that much.

I agree with Tig, 6000 (if realistic) are to much and usable only for open space and special situations. For most needs up to 2000 lumens is sufficient, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Looks like it would blind the rider on the high setting as it's too bright close up. Plus how well is the fan going to work for those riding in rain, snow, freezing winter weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    Looks like it would blind the rider on the high setting as it's too bright close up.
    I hope sunglasses are included in the package...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    IMO a dumb gimmick. Just a way to get un-knowledgeable folks into their booth at the show. Anyone can take an LED that is designed for a street floodlight, stick it on a simple aluminum extrusion with a CF ring and fan and a handlebar mount and call it the world's brightest bike light. Useful, no. Groundbreaking technology, no.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5toVhjc7YUQ

A video of a group of riders all using one..

mtbr member
    I'm more concerned about water, dirt and grit getting in the fan.

It also looks like a fast a furious / boy racers air freshener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Went for a ride this morning with this light. It's going back to the store. Why? NOISY fan that is ALWAYS on (forget about helmet mounting); too-wide beam that has little throw and is excessively bright in the near-field, thus rendering the high setting undesirable when descending; HUGE battery. On the plus side, the beam and color tint are great when ascending on a lower power setting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx for the update stu06. Nice to hear real world experience. You confirmed my concern about too much light in the near field, that's a deal breaker in my world. Maybe running a Betty-R on the lid might help as there is way more punch down the trail as what you have described with the 6000, but as vancbiker mentioned,,, maybe more of a gimmick just to claim most output of the year!!

I'm no battery tech but wondering about the one hour run time? I know the new Betty-R is likely north of 5000 lumens with a fresh battery and with it's battery 13.2Mah, is getting two hour run times (claimed) at full power. The CatEye with what looks like even a larger battery pack is only getting one hour on full. Is it just that the chip board their using is more inefficient thus drawing way more power to get it's 6000 lumens? I dunno.

RAKC
    The fact that someone paid $1000 for a light I dont get. I can only say gimmick as well for that thing.

Oh and getting those lumens out of a bike light really isn't that hard, just not for that weight. But you'd be trading light head weight for A LOT smaller battery pack and more run time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Awesome find at Interbike was this Cateye Volt 6000. It's brighter than that as they like to measure 6000 lumens at the end of the battery charge, not just at turn on.

The key thing is it will stay bright since it has a built-in fan and ducted ports. Light body stays cool as it's not used as a heatsink.

Anybody else use a fan in production lights? Do they hold up. I should have this light to test sometime soon.

Interbike 2015: CatEye Volt 6000 is the brightest light today - Mtbr.com

fc

Hey Francois,, any teasers yet on this light or any others for 2016 shootout?? If not ETA??

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanx for getting some lights up!!! I now see why the Volt 6000 is only claiming around one hour of runtime,,,,, 7252 measured lumens!!! Crazy. Been reading unfortunately those lumens are mostly in the near field. Would need nothing short of Betty-R power and range on the lid to help see past the very bright near field.