mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Capacitive Switch Problems with New Exposure Toro Mk6

Hi all,

Has anyone else had issues with the new capacitive switching on the Exposure Toro Mk6? I've had 3 new units, all with varying degrees of switching problems. None have worked as claimed they should. My first unit would hardly turn on. All 3 will not work with any sort of gloves. With all 3, it is impossible to scroll thru the 10 programs, as that requires the switch to work correctly and allow 10 repetitive button presses. I'm lucky to get 2 to 3 if it even responds at all (see video attached)

Has anyone else had problems? Am I just unlucky? It's a great light when I can get it turned on! Exposure have suggested there was a small batch of Toro Mk6s with switch issues, but to get 2 with this problem in a row would be unlucky. To get 3 would be implausible!... Exposure have offered to fix it, which will require me to send the unit back to the UK from Australia. This will mean I'm without a decent light for a couple of weeks with winter looming large here in Oz....

Aaarrrgghhhhh!

From the exposure website :

"Capacitive Switching

Capacitive Switching increases the ease of mode changing. The backcap of the light acts as a button, simply touch the back above the OSD screen to change mode. It intelligently senses pressure so whether youíre wearing big winter gloves or just not wanting to take your eyes off the route ahead, simplified switching is a touch away."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Guess not!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not familiar with that lamp, doc, but by any chance have you yet had the opportunity to discharge the batteries down to the shut off point and fully recharge them, maybe one or two times? Also, you mention it is close to winter where you are, have you noticed the air is particularly dry, and do you get a lot of shocks from static electricity?

Reason I ask, had problems with the capacitive touch on my older MJ-828 battery pack this past winter. Unit has a touch sensitive backlit voltage/charge indicator, was all kerfluey, could not get it to light on cue though at times would come on all by itself. New one arrived, no problems with it. After cycling the older one once or twice, works perfectly. Think maybe handling it in 0% humidity might have whacked it first time, but cycling the battery reset the PCB somehow.

Anyway, hope you find a speedy resolution.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have the maxx D mk7 and find the capacitive switch to be difficult to master. The length of the touch is important to gain understanding of how it functions.

mtbr member
    My new Maxx D MK7 arrived 2 days ago and I really cannot fault it except for the capacitative switch.

I am seeing about a 50% success rate operating the light using the back cap. Some of the issues are

1. When I press down to change the mode, it thinks I have pressed muliple times and switches the light on and toggles from H->M->L
    2. When I press down to turn it off, it thinks I have pressed muliple times and cycles through H->M->L->Flash-> H->M->L->Flash-> H->M->L->Flash->. I have to take my finger off for a few seconds then retry
    3. When I press down to turn it on, then tap 2 times to switch to Low, it pauses for a few seconds then suddenly switches to low.
    4. When I double tap, it picks up only one tap
    5. My Index finger has a lower success rate than my thumb

I also purchased remote cable switch which I have already mounted on my bike. That has worked 100% so I am not too bothered about the above issues which only occur 50% of the time anyway

I called USE in London and the lady I spoke to said the switch needs getting use to. However, as a person who plays the guitar/mandolin/piano fairly well, I really do not think itís me with coordination issues How hard is it to master pressing a surface .

Other than that, itís a great light.

Your light switch sounds far worse than mine. Try using the meat on your thumb to press. Also try a rolling on action where the tip of your thumb contacts the back cap first then you increase the amount of surface area contact by bringing the rest of your thumb down. I tried this about 30 times and the light responded 30 times in a row but itís not natural to press in that way so maybe something I need to train myself to do.

mtbr member
    I just saw your video. When you press, press like you are trying to leave your thumb print on the back. If that does not work, send it back but I definitely agree it does not "ease" button pressing at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post

.....SNIP....

I called USE in London and the lady I spoke to said the switch needs getting use to. However, as a person who plays the guitar/mandolin/piano fairly well, I really do not think itís me with coordination issues How hard is it to master pressing a surface .

Other than that, itís a great light.

Your light switch sounds far worse than mine. Try using the meat on your thumb to press. Also try a rolling on action where the tip of your thumb contacts the back cap first then you increase the amount of surface area contact by bringing the rest of your thumb down. I tried this about 30 times and the light responded 30 times in a row but itís not natural to press in that way so maybe something I need to train myself to do.
    Thanks for your reply mate....

I agree it's a fantastic light.... If you can get it to switch on! Hence I have persevered with getting a good one., with a reliable switch. Clearly the capacitive switches are an issue, given your switch is also is hit and miss, but also because your issues are fixed by the remote switch. I never got a remote switch because I didn't want to go down that path, but I was lucky enough to get a toro that works flawlessly on my 5th (yes FIFTH!!!) attempt.

Anyway here is a short video of 2 Toro lights. One that I'm keeping, because finally I received one that works as intended, and a defective one I'm sending back.

A few points:
    My finger presses appear a little wild and inaccurate, this is because I'm doing it one handed, and holding my videophone with the other. But, as u can see, this matters little with a fully functional light. The working toro turns on and off with ease, repeatedly, and without fail. It also scrolls thru the modes easily. As u can see the first toro I was lucky to get it switched on! Ironically, once it was switched on I couldn't switch it off....

Anyway, my final thoughts are....
    1) The light is awesome, but u will probably have to persevere until u get one that works as intended..,, when u do u will love the light....

2) If u have to "get used to the switch" as the USE support girl suggested to c8stom, then chances are u have a dodgy switch. Clearly there is a spectrum of dodgy switches from unusable to very useable....

3) all my discussions with USE support have been good, and they have been very attentive. Yes I have been frustrated thru this repetitive process, but being able to converse with the guys who actually build the lights, is exceptional support. It is because of this I wouldn't hesitate to by more exposure lights in the future....

Video:

mtbr member
    After seeing your video, you got me thinking again so I took out my light and shot two videos but I am unable to post them yet because I do not have a youtube account. I will try post them after work.

The first video shows my light switching from H->M->L with my finger lifted off the switch. It is either picking up my finger capacitance even with a 1 inch air gap or it is processing earlier presses ( looks spooky ). It also shows me failing to turn the light off using long presses which the switch thinks is a series of presses.

The second video shot 1 minute later shows my switch working flawlessly from start to finish. Every press caught and processed as intended for a few cycles.

Right now, I am still pondering if it's worth me following up with USE. I am based in HK so sending the light back and forth will cost me money as my friend purchased the light for me from the UK last week and brought it back so I do not have a mail order return option. As my light appears to be over-sensitive rather than insensitive, I think I can live with it so long as it's 'character' stays how it is and does not change. Last night I took it out for itís maiden voyage and the remote switch worked perfectly for the 3 hours ( over 100 presses Iíd say ) so the greater part of me is reluctant to send it back.

The first Toro in your latest video is definitely 'insensitive' so I agree you had no choice but to send it back. The second toro looks awesome. Well done for persevering

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

C8stom:
    According to the USE tech guys, there is a very thin rubber O ring that sits the back cap off the board underneath, which creates the "feel" of the switch. One of my units I returned to USE with an insensitive switch, USE adjusted this gap to improve the functionality of the switch. When I received the unit back it was certainly a little better, but still very hit and miss whether it recognised button presses. I therefore sent the unit back to place if purchase for exchange. I continued to exchange units until I got one that worked as it should, which Im glad I did, as the switch over time would have driven me mad.. It's also a safety issue as the light is so bright that it is important that it is easy to be able to switch it to LOW while on the move.

With regards to returning the unit, if you return it directly to USE for service, they will cover postage both ways (they did with mine with me posting it back to the UK from Australia).

WRT to uploading the video, if u use tapatalk on a smart phone, it will automatically upload without using any third party host

mtbr member
    Dr, thanks for the very useful info. I'll have another button pressing session when I get home later and will decide what to do based on how the switch behaves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mutley View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone else had issues with the new capacitive switching on the Exposure Toro Mk6? I've had 3 new units, all with varying degrees of switching problems. None have worked as claimed they should. My first unit would hardly turn on. All 3 will not work with any sort of gloves. With all 3, it is impossible to scroll thru the 10 programs, as that requires the switch to work correctly and allow 10 repetitive button presses. I'm lucky to get 2 to 3 if it even responds at all (see video attached)

Has anyone else had problems? Am I just unlucky? It's a great light when I can get it turned on! ...
    Wow, with the problems you're having I don't know if I'd of had the patience to do all the send backs. I must say though that products with digital UI's can be problematic. Capacitive switching though is in a league of it's own. I've seen these on other lamp brands but I've never had the opportunity to try one my self. After reading what you wrote I doubt I would be willing to buy something that had the potential to be that problematic.

And speaking of problematic, I have one of the Gloworm X2 (v3)'s. This lamp has two menus. When I press the ( remote ) button to turn on the 3-mode menu ( takes a single press ) sometimes it doesn't come on right away. If I give it two quick presses the second ( two mode ) menu comes up so I have to wait a second or so if I don't get the first ( 3-mode ) menu the first time. Here it was I thought that was a problem. When I try for the 3-mode menu, 7 out of 10 tries it comes on right away. That I can deal with. Once on the lamp functions without any other problems.

Anyway, if you haven't tried a Gloworm product you might want to. Customer service is very good, the lamps are fantastic and I do believe you have a dealer over on your side of the pond... just beyond your yellow brick road. ( otherwise known as New Zealand )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    Dr, thanks for the very useful info. I'll have another button pressing session when I get home later and will decide what to do based on how the switch behaves.
    I spent some time playing with the light and managed about a 50% hit rate outside and just now indoors managed about 90%. I am wondering if the humidity and temperature can affect these ?. Currently it's 35 degrees C and 95% humid outside and 18 degrees / 35% humid inside.

I have decided to keep it. It makes this beautiful light just a little bit more interesting

edited : increased the % as the light switch is really behaving now