AZ Mountain Biking Member

Can you swap these bulbs out for newer HID type?

Sorry for the newbie light question but I've got an old set of Nite Rider lights. Can you swap out the older style yellowish bulbs with a newer more white bulb?

I know that they make aftermarket bulbs for your car that give an HID "Look" without truly being HID with the Ballasts, etc. Is this an option for your older bike lights?

Thanks
    Can you swap these bulbs out for newer HID type?-photo.jpg

Can you swap these bulbs out for newer HID type?-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    I don't know about putting different bulbs in them but Ive been over volting the same lights and they are much brighter makes for a cheap helmet light
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niche77
    Sorry for the newbie light question but I've got an old set of Nite Rider lights. Can you swap out the older style yellowish bulbs with a newer more white bulb?

I know that they make aftermarket bulbs for your car that give an HID "Look" without truly being HID with the Ballasts, etc. Is this an option for your older bike lights?

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	590154

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	590155
    Not from The halogen to the HID. Since Nightrider has left the off road market, I have been replacing bulbs/ ballast and doing at race repairs to NR lights. Often I will put the new Next gen. 900 lumen ballast in the old HID housings.. Dont think that is what you have here . those look to be Halogen lights.

Its got what plants crave
    Since when has Niterider left the offroad market?

Anyway, up until about a year ago I ran a halogen setup overvolted with a lithium battery. It was actually pretty damn bright with a 14.8V battery pack and 20 watt bulb.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Off road motorcycles.. Its been a few years now.. I'm sure they still sell stuff, but attend no races, effectively leaving the off road market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by off road rider
    Not from The halogen to the HID. Since Nightrider has left the off road market, I have been replacing bulbs/ ballast and doing at race repairs to NR lights. Often I will put the new Next gen. 900 lumen ballast in the old HID housings.. Dont think that is what you have here . those look to be Halogen lights.
    He's not talking about an actual HID bulbs. He's talking about the kind of bulb they market for cars that they advertise as having a similar color temp as a HID bulb. It's a halogen bulb with a special coating applied.

I've never seen such a bulb in the MR11 format used in those lights.