mtbr member

Can you pay more for accurate battery capacity display?

Almost every bike light has a LED indcator to display the battery capacity. But, i never see a good battery capacity display system on a bike lights. It can not dispaly the accurate battery capacity or the LED indicator move up and down in critical point. This will disturb user and have bad user experience....

My question is , can you pay more for accurate battery capacity display? Becaure if the bike light manufacturer use mobile phone battery display system, the problem will be solve easily, but will cost more....

Andy

Name:  T1sWf6XnFfXXagezzb_094527.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  56.4 KB

mtbr member
    Andy the Exposure Reflex has a digital fuel gauge, displaying the remaining output time in hours and minutes. It's a great feature, wish more lights had it! The display is also used to set modes, as well as indicate percentage charged while recharging the light.

More info, pics etc related to the Reflex
    2013 Exposure Reflex Mk1 Review on DigitalHippie.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldens View Post
    Almost every bike light has a LED indcator to display the battery capacity. But, i never see a good battery capacity display system on a bike lights. It can not dispaly the accurate battery capacity or the LED indicator move up and down in critical point. This will disturb user and have bad user experience....

My question is , can you pay more for accurate battery capacity display? Becaure if the bike light manufacturer use mobile phone battery display system, the problem will be solve easily, but will cost more....

Andy
    These are good questions. There are batteries sold with indicator displays. I believe the Gloworm battery has one. MagicShine also sells a 4-cell with display. The problem is that bike lights can use more "current load" then something like a cell phone. They are also used in more diverse conditions that will affect their accuracy. Colder temperatures really do effect the accuracy of the displays. As far as I know no one sells a display that also factors in how temperature can affect the battery.

If you have a lamp with an LED warning system at least when the indicator turns to red you know you have little time left. When it starts to blink red you have minutes. That is when you use your back-up. If you are a serious night rider you should always have a back-up, especially if you know you will be riding long enough to deplete your battery. When night riding it is more important to know "how long" the ride will last ( in advance ) ( not a good idea to be exploring new trails at night ) and real important to know the typical run-time of your battery with the light system you will be using. Having a voltage indicator is great but knowing the limitations of your equipment is more important.

When I ride at night I've never had a problem. Then again I rarely ride longer than two hours in the dark. On occasion though I will do a night epic that might last about 4-5 hrs. Still not a problem as I usually run lower outputs most of the time anyway. If my main bar lamp goes out I have a back battery or lamp that will take it's place. I can either pull out the spare two-cell and run the main lamp another 2 hours or use my XM-L bar torch which can run 1 hr. on high or three hours on medium. If you plan ahead you never have to worry about what the indicators are doing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    If you plan ahead you never have to worry about what the indicators are doing.
    I'll add my opinion...

If you plan ahead you never need the indicators.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did have a MagicShine with a gauge. Much like the fuel gauge in your car....it was not linear. It would have a high number and suddenly go down....

With my tri clone....I just keep the stock battery strapped to the stem as a backup. And us a higher capacity battery