Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Can I use my RC LiPo battery in my magicshine?

I still have a few sets of RC LiPo battery. They are also rated at 7.4V but will peak at 8.4v when fully charged. Will the 8.4V hurt the board of magicshine? Is it safe to use?

I am thinking of just sourcing magicshine battery terminal at local electronic shop then DIY it to my RC battery to have a higher capacity battery.

Last edited by migs26; 06-18-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Yeap it will work just fine as that LiPo is the same voltage as the MS battery pack. You can get a cable with the connector to mate with the MS from DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32751 Cut the end off it and solder on the appropriate connector for your LiPo pack and you're good to go.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 06-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Your battery is also a 7.4 but at full charge it's 8.4 same with the magic shine. I use my duratrax onyx 230 to charge my zippy 2s 5000Mah with a parallel harness. I get 10000Mah at 7.4V.

Also it only take 2 hours to charge both batteries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    alrighty then, I already have those MS battery wire extension for my helmet mount, will splice it and use as my LiPo connector.

I am new to 18650 battery , i dont know that they also peak at 8.4V.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by migs26
    alrighty then, I already have those MS battery wire extension for my helmet mount, will splice it and use as my LiPo connector.

I am new to 18650 battery , i dont know that they also peak at 8.4V.
    I think its just a lithium ion battery thats round ... I'm a LiPo man myself.. the discharge rates are nicer on the LiPo as you already know from an RC backgroud.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    What about LVC....? Wouldnt you have to put something in between to keep it from killing the LiPo..?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The magic shine light head has its own LVC, so it's no problem. The red light also turn on at about 6.8V, so if you want to be conservative, swap over to another battery when that happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That RC pack is probably meant for rather high current, so you probably wanna throw a 2A polyswitch inline with the magicshine cord.

mtbr member
    I'm using RC packs on all my lights I converted all my old light systems to LIPO that way. I think I'm going to get a Magic Shine soon though its a little nicer than the antique niterider lights that I'm using now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm just using the the built in one from the magic shine. When the LED turns red at the back, its time to charge. I think i'm getting about 3.4v / cell. Let me check next time it runs out.

I don't get why the magic shine battery doesn't have a balance tap...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ro.sniper
    I don't get why the magic shine battery doesn't have a balance tap...
    Its cheaper that way and every year people will pony up for a new battery pack.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Thread necro! I have a bunch of 11.1v 3S batteries for RC planes, but it looks like a normal 2650mah 2S would work. Any reason why this one wouldn't work? Sky Lipo 2650mAh 7.4V 20C
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes it will work. Just be careful not to discharge it too deeply since there is no protection circuit. You can add on a 2-cell protection circuit from batteryspace for added peace of mind.

mtbr member
    I'm going to give this a shot since apparently I'll be lucky to get my recall replacement batteries before next year. And I'll be damned if I give them any more money since I've already spent $200 and have no lights to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just be carefull with charging and storing battery, lipos can easily ignite into violent fires which cannot be easily put out, also hitting battery or dropping it can also cause accidentalmfire or explosion of battery, however lipos keep voltage through the life of the charge so you wont have dimming as the charge is dropping, also store these batteries with 50 % charge and in a metal tin or can in case of fire.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BertoManfred View Post
    Just be carefull with charging and storing battery, lipos can easily ignite into violent fires which cannot be easily put out, also hitting battery or dropping it can also cause accidentalmfire or explosion of battery, however lipos keep voltage through the life of the charge so you wont have dimming as the charge is dropping, also store these batteries with 50 % charge and in a metal tin or can in case of fire.
    Do you have any sources for this information as it is quite different from my understanding. As I understand it a Lipo battery is no more or less dangerous than any other Li-ion battery and if mistreated will vent hydrogen gas which will burn vigourously but briefly.

For this reason I am always sceptical of advice to keep batteries in any form of enclosed metal case - if it does vent hydrogen, it is much better that the flame occurs in the air than in a confined space.

Me, I am far more concerned by the hydro-flouric acid that may result if the battery is exposed to water, but YMMV.

You are correct that a lipo is more vulnerable to damage than a steel encased 18650 and IMHO if you are using it on a bike you should take care to ensure the Lipo is protected from both water and accident damage.

I use this Lipo with my magic shine. The voltage drops as the battery discharges, although not as much as with my other Li-ion batteries. It makes no difference to the magic shine because in my experience the magicshine does not dim as the voltage drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Go on any rc forum for the lipo fire stories im sure now the technology is far i proved, but i have read alot of stories.

mtbr member
    LiPo batteries are for the most part safe, but when they go bad it can result in a pretty serious fire. As with most anything, be smart and follow the instructions and you'll be just fine.

OR you can intentionally blow up a LiPo, just for fun. This is a video of a relatively small lipo pack, about 1000mah. For comparison, it's about 1/4 of the size of the GeoMan pack. I believe they are setting the fire by overcharging it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I haven't been flying my lipo-powered airplanes in some time, but my understanding from a friend of mine who still flies is that the latest lipos are much safer in a crash. He's told me recent stories of lipos being partially crushed in completely nose down crashes from hundreds of feet up, yet the batteries don't catch fire. Regardless, i would still put them in some kind of rigid case if I were to use them for a bike light, just to be on the safe side.

mtbr member
    For the bar light, I plan on putting the battery inside an old water bottle. I'm going to pack it with foam and seal up the lid so that just the MS connector comes out. This should create a good waterproof and impact proof container. The helmet light battery will be going in my backpack, so no protection needed there. My RC batteries should be getting here this week, and I'm going to post a few pictures of my setup.

I know for a fact that a Lipo can take a pretty good hit. I had a 2200mah battery in my airplane and pulled a hard outside loop about 200 feet up. The battery apparently was not properly secured and it shot out of the canopy and fell to the ground. It smacked pretty good, but there was no damage to any of the cells. I still fly with it and it works great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Batteries, are batteries...don't over discharge a pack, balance charge it and get a good high "C" rating for discharge based on the typical load you expect. Lipo's can let out the magic smoke in spectacular fashion, so good handling and storage are a must. LVC's or systems with a managed port are important if you plan on running the packs to capacity.

I buy general use and model airplane packs from here:
    hobbycity dot com (sorry, I don't have enough posts yet)

They are stinking inexpensive and the packs are great. Flightmax and "generics" have more than a few 100 cycles on them.

Invest in an inexpensive balance charger and you won't "puff" any cells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Thread necro! I have a bunch of 11.1v 3S batteries for RC planes, but it looks like a normal 2650mah 2S would work. Any reason why this one wouldn't work? Sky Lipo 2650mAh 7.4V 20C

What kind of run time can be expected with this type of battery? The stock magicshine battery is 4.5 ah, so a battery with 2650mah would run about 59% of the time the stock 4.5 would run? Is it that simple?

mtbr member
    Yep, that's pretty much it. I have a 5000mah and after 2 hours of riding on high it took 2400mah to recharge it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much it. I have a 5000mah and after 2 hours of riding on high it took 2400mah to recharge it.

Interesting and I'm glad it actually is as simple as it seems. Not too often that's the case

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    qwreqw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast