Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well if people so worried about lipos exploding

there is lipo packs can store them you could get small lipo pack like that and keep that on you're bike to put lipo in you re that worried

im going to do the same thing a back up battery will rc battery prob likely will be better than any battery you get with light kit anyway

since with rc battery you know what mah the battery is and from im looking at bike lights kits tell you how much volts is for battery but dont let you know how mah there is or even the c rating

so why not just cut off the magichshine battery connector and put on deans plug or even better bullet connector for better fit

cause then that way can charge those lipos batteries alot faster than any standard bike battery

esp considering i can charge a rc battery in a hour or so and bike battery they say takes 4 or 5 hours at minmum

mtbr member
    Here's some quick and dirty pics of my Magicshine temporary replacement batteries. The charger is the most expensive part here, but you can get a cheapo balance charger for $10. Just a note; the 5000mah is super duper overkill, but does provide over 4 hours of light on high. Ideally a 3000-4000mah battery would be sufficient for 2+ hour rides on high. A 4000mah SkyLipo from HobbyPartz.com is $15.

Battery, with Deans aka T-Connector soldered on:

Water bottle lid with the wire coming through. Celebration Ale recommended for this step, but not necessary.

Said water bottle:

All hooked up. The T-Connector is soldered to an existing MS extension wire. This is a better option so that a normal MS battery can be used in the future without doing any more soldering.

This is a 2x1600mah setup in series for a total of 3200mah. PITA to have to charge two batteries, but I alread had them laying around. This kind of smart charger is highly recommended, but a bit spendy.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bringing back an old thread. How about NiMH or NiCd RC batteries? Possible damage to the light as the voltage goes low? I have some sitting around from a Traxxas Stampede. Can't ride a bike and bash the truck at the same time though, at least not yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As long as the starting voltage is no higher than about 9V, the Nimh or NiCad batteries will be fine. The MS 808s that I have worked on had several components on the driver that have a max operating voltage of 10V. There have been a few folks run them at 12V, but that's asking for trouble. You won't harm the light with lower voltage as the batteries fade, it will just shut off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2