Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954

    Bye bye 808s...hello Duo/Xera!

    Well…while the Chinese lights are fun to collect/tinker with, I decided that it was time to upgrade my primary lights for racing etc. to something a bit better than my tired-and-true but aging MS 808 P7s. Went with Gemini Duo (bar) and Xera (helmet) lightheads from Jim at Action. I will continue to use my GeoManGear 4-cell batteries with these as they seem to work just fine; I can replace them later when they die/stop working well with the MS 5600mAh batteries that he sells. I am selling off of my 808 lightheads and my SSX3 set (just won’t use this)..this should pay back 50% of the cost of the new light heads. I am keeping my Yinding (good version) and SSX2 cheap-o’s as a backup set/for my kids/loaner; I really think this is a killer budg-o set up but the color difference (bluish white from the SSX2 vs. warmer from the Yinding) bugs me and I’m not confident enough in them that I want to run them in a race situation…fine for normal riding. Finally…I picked up a Gemini and a Gloworm travel case from Action…they are really cool little cases (especially for $4)! The Gloworm one is small and works for a set of lightheads. The Gemini one is larger and works for your batteries etc. He appears to be out of the Gemini ones but he still has some of the Gloworm ones…pick em’ up! I will post up some thoughts on the next ones when I get a ride in on them next week.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    909
    Having had the P-7 808 and now setting my wife up with the Duo/Xera,, you are in for a pleasant upgrade TiGeo. We are using one 4-cell Gemini battery and one GeoManGear battery. Keep in mind the led display on the lamp head may be a little inaccurate vs the Gemini battery, at least that is something I remember noticing when I first used the Gemini lamp head. No big deal for us though. Enjoy your new toy and give us an update after a good ride. Cheers!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Congrats on your new light setup! I own older versions of what you got and they've been very reliable well performing units. You're gong to love being able to adjust the power level of each light step to your needs. I look forward to hearing what you think of your purchase.
    MOLE

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    Having had the P-7 808 and now setting my wife up with the Duo/Xera,, you are in for a pleasant upgrade TiGeo. We are using one 4-cell Gemini battery and one GeoManGear battery. Keep in mind the led display on the lamp head may be a little inaccurate vs the Gemini battery, at least that is something I remember noticing when I first used the Gemini lamp head. No big deal for us though. Enjoy your new toy and give us an update after a good ride. Cheers!!
    The LED indicators on the 808s didn't work that well with the GMG batteries anyway..no biggie.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Congrats on your new light setup! I own older versions of what you got and they've been very reliable well performing units. You're gong to love being able to adjust the power level of each light step to your needs. I look forward to hearing what you think of your purchase.
    MOLE
    At first this seemed silly....you only need one setting...high! But I may be able to dim them a bit wit no negative effect to get more battery life so I think I will enjoy it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,910
    TiGeo, I look forward to seeing how much you like the Xera and how it compares to the other lamps you own.

    When it comes to helmet lamps having one that allows for "stepless" adjustment can be nice. This way if you want you can set the output of the medium and low modes to an output that best suits your needs.

    Been a while since I've looked at the Gemini lamps, does the Xera come in an XM-L2 U2 version yet?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954

    Re: Bye bye 808s...hello Duo/Xera!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    TiGeo, I look forward to seeing how much you like the Xera and how it compares to the other lamps you own.

    When it comes to helmet lamps having one that allows for "stepless" adjustment can be nice. This way if you want you can set the output of the medium and low modes to an output that best suits your needs.

    Been a while since I've looked at the Gemini lamps, does the Xera come in an XM-L2 U2 version yet?
    Yes...they have the updated XM-L2 LEDs.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gharddog03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    336
    That's sweet set up.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Came today. The Duo..well...its just like the Yinding...no surprises there. The light is more white however..my Yinding has more of a "peach" colored light if that makes sense..much warmer looking. I like that the Duo doesn't cycle through off...wish it started on high like my 808s but I can program it so I will have to mess with that feature. Looks a little higher quality which would be expected. The Xera is really cool...very tiny..much smaller/lighter than my 808. I like the no-edge effect of the optics vs. reflector...should make a great combo! Hopefully can ride them this week and try them out.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    The programming is actually pretty cool. I was able to change the flow to high/med/low and then the setting for each to 100%/90%/50%..pretty neat and if I can handle less than 100% as my "high" then I can get more out of my batteries.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Quick night ride indicates these are the badass lightweight setup. The Xera is so light...nice on the helmet and almost unnoticeable. Perfect helmet light...may try the spot optic next time. The Duo is just like the Yinding....great bar light. I really like that both have the same color...easier on my eyes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Legit night ride (10 miles)..these are outstanding. I still need to swap to the spot optic on the Xera. 2 hours of runtime and the light just turned organ on the lights as I got to the car (4-cell Geoman batteries). Great set up and v. light. 18 hour race next weekend!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,272
    I have some uninformed questions. I'm hoping that you will be okay with answering them. I have a Dinotte light setup. I have a 400L on my helmet, and an 800L on the bars. The setup is okay, but I can outrun them. I think it's time for more light. The 800L was a big step up in light, but I wasn't impressed with the beam very much. I love the wide beam of the 400L, but its not enough light for fast riding.

    So, what's the real difference between the lights that Action LED sells, specifically the Gemini and Gloworm models? It seems like the Gloworms are only about $30 more per light. What made you go with the Gemini lights?

    I think the Duo and Xera would be a nice combo. Do you continue to be satisfied with yours?

    My friends have these Niterider 1800 race lights, and they only use bar lights. They seem to have nice spread on the bars, but I'm not sure how much they run these days.

    Anyway, any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I have some uninformed questions. I'm hoping that you will be okay with answering them. I have a Dinotte light setup. I have a 400L on my helmet, and an 800L on the bars. The setup is okay, but I can outrun them. I think it's time for more light. The 800L was a big step up in light, but I wasn't impressed with the beam very much. I love the wide beam of the 400L, but its not enough light for fast riding.

    So, what's the real difference between the lights that Action LED sells, specifically the Gemini and Gloworm models? It seems like the Gloworms are only about $30 more per light. What made you go with the Gemini lights?

    I think the Duo and Xera would be a nice combo. Do you continue to be satisfied with yours?

    My friends have these Niterider 1800 race lights, and they only use bar lights. They seem to have nice spread on the bars, but I'm not sure how much they run these days.

    Anyway, any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
    More than likely the 800L puts out a real 1000 lumen so that should be enough for the bars. Your problem is that you need more power coming off the helmet and more throw. If you like the DiNotte brand than perhaps you would like a new 1800 lumen XML-3 sitting on your helmet. If that's too much money you might try one of the new Magicshine 808's with the XM-L2 emitter or one of the Gemini Xera's ( both XM-L2 single emitter lamps ). Still need more throw, time to consider the Xeccon S-12 ( single XM-L2 ). Lots of throw but a narrow spot. Lot's of other options too if you choose something Chinese. Solarstorm X2 ( duel XM-L U2 ) or X3 ( three XM-L U2 ) make a pretty good helmet light and provide a medium wide beam pattern. X2 ~ 1000 lumen on high and X3 ~ 1300 lumen ( both ball park estimates ).

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I have some uninformed questions. I'm hoping that you will be okay with answering them. I have a Dinotte light setup. I have a 400L on my helmet, and an 800L on the bars. The setup is okay, but I can outrun them. I think it's time for more light. The 800L was a big step up in light, but I wasn't impressed with the beam very much. I love the wide beam of the 400L, but its not enough light for fast riding.

    So, what's the real difference between the lights that Action LED sells, specifically the Gemini and Gloworm models? It seems like the Gloworms are only about $30 more per light. What made you go with the Gemini lights?

    I think the Duo and Xera would be a nice combo. Do you continue to be satisfied with yours?

    My friends have these Niterider 1800 race lights, and they only use bar lights. They seem to have nice spread on the bars, but I'm not sure how much they run these days.

    Anyway, any comments or feedback would be appreciated.
    I have put about 100 miles on mine so far and still think they were a great choice. I have no comment on the Gloworm lights, but all the feedback on this site is super-positive. I rode a super-tight trail a few weeks ago and set a dang PR at night using these..they really do work well. The Xera is a great spot, super light/tiny, and has a nice beam pattern. The Duo is tiny and provides a great bar-type pattern (wide but still has throw). The only negative is really that you always want more light and these don't have the highest output when compared to the Gloworm XS etc. I think that would be my next light (for the bar) to really light it up!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    81
    TiGeo, which of the two optics have tried for the xera? We mostly ride tighter single track and was curious to see if you thought that the beam was wide enough to have some width at a short distance. I would pair it up with a NR 1800. I have enough light for straight ahead but really need more light when I look around corners. I would prefer a duo for the helmet, but my budget screams xera.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,954
    I have tried both that came with it and am currently using the spot one...but to be honest there isn't much of a difference to me.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    263

    Gloworm XS/X2 Combo from Action-LED

    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I have put about 100 miles on mine so far and still think they were a great choice. I have no comment on the Gloworm lights, but all the feedback on this site is super-positive. I rode a super-tight trail a few weeks ago and set a dang PR at night using these.
    TiGeo, The Gloworm XS may not be for you if you only like HIGH, I run mine mostly on MED...

    X2 on the helmet on HIGH tho.... Speaking of PRs, this is at a place I've never ridden at night... very twisty up/down, helps that I was chasing the KOM on a lot of these trails...


    Bye bye 808s...hello Duo/Xera!-xmdt8rb.png

Similar Threads

  1. Duo/Xera combo
    By Trophy in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM
  2. Does anyone run 2 MS 808s on the bar?
    By TiGeo in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 03:01 AM
  3. First legit night ride on MS 808s - report
    By TiGeo in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
  4. Gemini XERA at geomangear.com
    By nick d in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 09:30 PM
  5. Gemini Xera vs. Jet Lites A-51
    By CDIDriver in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •