mtbr member
    Sep 2013

BT20, China or Alternative.

This will be my first real light setup, my $30 cateye was only good for creating a small purple blotch in front of me.

I would like something that is bright with good flood and battery life. Mainly for streets, dark bike path's and maybe some light trails.

Originally I was going to go with the BT20 because I familiar with Fenix and it looks like a nice light, but upon further research I've seen many good lights on this forum and now I'm having trouble making a choice.

The Chinese lights seem like a nice deal however it looks as though the BT20 has better build quality, features and looks. Are there other lights that I should take into consideration? Budget is about $50-$150. Be it multiple lights or better battery packs etc.

Also I was thinking about getting a Chinese flood light for the bar and mounting the Fenix on a helmet. Is this overkill for the general riding I'll be doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiffen View Post
    This will be my first real light setup, my $30 cateye was only good for creating a small purple blotch in front of me.

I would like something that is bright with good flood and battery life. Mainly for streets, dark bike path's and maybe some light trails.

Originally I was going to go with the BT20 because I familiar with Fenix and it looks like a nice light, but upon further research I've seen many good lights on this forum and now I'm having trouble making a choice.

The Chinese lights seem like a nice deal however it looks as though the BT20 has better build quality, features and looks. Are there other lights that I should take into consideration? Budget is about $50-$150. Be it multiple lights or better battery packs etc.

Also I was thinking about getting a Chinese flood light for the bar and mounting the Fenix on a helmet. Is this overkill for the general riding I'll be doing?
    Philips Saferide is within your budget and is a serious light. Unfortunately SafeRide cannot be used for offroading, but is a great MUP light, and OK road light.

SafeRide is nothing like a little purple blotch on the pavement - you will be amazed by how well it lights the pavement.

It includes regular AA Ni-Mh rechargeables and a USB charger, which means if either the batteries or charger ever fail you can replace them for peanuts.

Designed in Germany.

I doubt you will find anything better in your budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

type wrong

hey, I am a newbie from Spain, and what do you think of Fenix BT20? it is about 92$, it is also suitable for u
    Last edited by Relic38; 09-06-2013 at 02:03 AM. Reason: type wrong

mtbr member
    Hello, i recommend Nitefighter BT40, this light uses 4 XP-G LED, very powerful, just USD119/set including battery and charger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiffen View Post

Since you sound to be new to bicycle night riding and don't currently have a good light ( only an outdated Cateye ) I would suggest taking one step at a time. What I mean by that is "don't spend too much". Whatever you buy, something in the $40-$100 range should be enough. There are some great deals to be had in the $40 range. When it comes to buying lower cost Chinese made lamps they make good choices for people on a budget.

Nothing wrong with the Fenix BT20 ( with it's road design beam pattern ) but for the cost I really don't like the battery *set-up ( *4 x CR123A's with cell holder ). Personally I'd rather have a lamp that comes with a cheap so-so Chinese 18650 4-cell battery than one of those.

If you're worried about quality and warranty I would suggest buying from one of the vendors that advertise on MTBR. You might pay a little more but they will stand behind the product that they sell. If you do buy from a vendor you should still be able to buy something suitable for under $100. ( BTW, Action LED sells the BT20, not recommending that but thought you should know )

Lastly, once you think you know what you are going to buy come back and ask the folks here what they think about the lamp before you lay your money down. This is always a good idea so you can find out if someone else knows something that might just change your mind. Personally, I don't mind commenting on a choice but I don't like recommending specific lamps. I don't mind pointing someone in the general direction I think they should go but ultimately I think everyone needs to make their own choices.