Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    That said, everything I can find says that Lithium is GREAT for cold weather.

Which Batteries for Flashlights and Tools in Cold Weather | ToolGuyd
    Batteries: How to Choose

Every chemistry will be degraded by cold, but apparently LiIon is the best.
    It isn't actually so, but it depends from two factors: how cold is "cold", and which namely "lithium" we're talking about...

Statement about any chemistry's degradation is true, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

anyhow if you use cr123 and not rcr's I suggest titanium innovations for a good batt that saves loot CR123A Lithium Batteries - BatteryJunction.com
    I agree, their cr123 batteries for $1 each are excellent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I see you already bought a lamp, but I was going to ask - what kind of riding are you going to be doing?

If you want a light that's -
    1. Completely unnaffected by the cold
    2. Zero concerns about battery issues - no recharging, no battery going bad, no buying disposables, etc. Never needs to be recharged - period. Ever.

You should consider a dynamo light. You buy a special front hub that has magnets in the hub that generate power, and a dynamo light.

I live in Minnesota, and that's what I use on my winter bike, for all of the above reasons. (And my summer commuter as well to avoid battery changing / discharging hassles).

The drag from the bub when it's on it extremely negligable for anything other than road racing. I cannot feel the drag, on I have one on my summer commuter because I feel that any extremely slight time loss from the hub is much smaller than the time I waste on batteries (recharging them, changing them, etc).

While dynamos used to - frankly - suck when lamps were incandescent, with LED light they put out over 200 lumens, same as the battery lights you're looking at.

If you're doing relatively flat riding (roads, trails, things to get from point a to point b), the Lumotec IQ Premium Cyo ($120) is a "shaped" beam like a car headlight with a cutoff on the horizon.

If you're more mountain biking - need light off to the sides and in front of your rather than on the road, it's between the Supernova e3 ($165) or the Supernova e3 triple ($270 - higher light output).

A dynamo front wheel (the whole wheel and the hub) cost around $130-$212 depending on model.

A dynamo is more expensive upfront, but removes all light issues in the cold, and never requires hassle with batteries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like my flashlights, i changed all my cr123's back to lights which run AA or AAA batteries only, simply for the sake of availability and carrying spares. When you're running most of your lights on one battery type spares become universal.

I tend to carry a keychain light which is AAA and will last for 6 months for all the amount of time I use it, it pairs well with my headlamp which is also AAA batteries.

My bike lights are run off large capacity lithium power packs, I keep two lights on the bars and two batteries in the bag on the top bar, the weight isn't noticed and I always have a backup light or backup battery, i rarely need to use both at once as individually they are more than bright enough. One light has great throw and not a lot of side spill which is perfect for roads but not so good for singeltrack, the other light is more of a flood but still with great throw on high mode. Both were bought from ebay, both were cheaper than dirt, both have worked for ages with no issues and the battery packs are cheap and easy to replace if needed, I haven't needed to though. Running either light off both batteries can give me up to 8 hours light depending on chosen output level and to be perfectly honest low mode is more than ample in both cases. Headlamp will run on 3 AAA batteries for another 8 hours but without the same output. Enough to make careful progress though. With just one spare set of AAA batteries I have enough capacity for a full 24 hours of light.

If you hunt about the net you can find battery carriers for all sorts of battery types so you are now able to run most lights on most batteries with a bit of mixing and matching, failing that ask at your local hobby stores and those guys could probably make you one for a few beer tokens to run whatever battery you like on whatever connection you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Fenix BC20 - Bar mounted, 4AA, 2Hr 20Min at 400 lumens. I'm waiting for the BC30 - more lumens and battery options. I hope the beam patterns are wide enough at the advertised lumens. Price and availability???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2